Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks I've picked up all three models in this 40th anniversary re-release. From what I can tell, these are all from ~1970 and may have been Monogram's molds at one point. Not totally sure on the lineage.

Really wish the CM (1/32) and LEM (1/48) were done in the same scale. Lame that they are not. The 1/144 Saturn V would clearly be gargantuan at either of those scales, so I don't mind that. But the Saturn has the CM and LEM in 1/144, so that's that.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Great reviews ModelMan ! I enjoyed it. Will you be doing any more reviews or post your building of these kits with the clips ? , that would be nice.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank ye, sir. When I build them, video logs will be youtubed as with all my models. Usually these box reviews are the unacknowledged Part 0 of each series. I don't always put them in the build playlist as I should... Ill be more consistent about that going forward.

I don't expect to get to these until spring or so. When I wrap up my current builds, I'm primarily kicking into a star wars session (with a few diversions) around xmas. Springtime I want to be doing real space and some cars, then by the summer/fall, I'm going naval. Over the last few years I've accomplished most models I built as a kid. now it's time to explore what else is out there. I haven't done any planes again yet, but was eyeballing a B-17 bomber this afternoon at my local...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Nice reviews! I've got some earlier issues of the kits - including a 1980's release of the Saturn V and the more recent Stevens International releases of the last 2 or 3 years of the Apollo CSM and Lunar Lander. Looks like the plastic hasn't changed at all.

A few quick observations:

You're right about the inaccuracies on the Saturn V. The model is based on one of the early unmanned test flight articles and contains details that weren't on the later manned versions. Also, the detailing on the CSM is the Block 1 (test) and does not accurately reflect the manned version. The built model is about 30" (give or take) tall when fully assembled.

CSM: Actually, it's quite accurate!! And it's Block 2!! About the only real area where it falls down is the Command Module interior and the poor representation of the astronauts.

Lunar Lander: Also based on one the mock ups; it doesn't truly represent any of the landing vehicles. The LEMs were all essentially hand built so every one was different from each other in detailing. That being said, the base kit is pretty good. The base of the kit (haha) is good in that it duplicates the sharp contrast of shadows that was evident when the astronauts were on the Moon. You don't HAVE to use it... but don't just toss it away either. You might need a good spot to put the descent stage after you've built it up.

There are resin/PE sets for all of the above to address the detailing issues you are concerned about consisting at least of the following...

-There is a resin replacement for the CSM and LEM shroud that will fix the problems with those areas. You will need to do the research to more correctly depict the manned flight S-V's as well.

-The LEM PE sets are incredible and I believe will allow you to correctly detail the Apollo 11 mission as well the others.

-There is a resin cockpit set for the CSM and a "conversion" set that will allow you to add the science bay of the later missions.

All of the kits used to be Monogram kits as you surmised.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
The replacement pieces are mostly for the 1/32 CSM. There are a few different detail sets for the 1/48 LEM which you can see at cultTVmans hobby store in the real spacecraft section. ModelMan, do you have the Apollo spacecraft kit that is in 1/48 scale ? It is the one that has the launch escape tower on top. The completed model picture is not mine, I found it on the on a search of apollo models. ModelMan, do you have THIS kit & if so, have you built it yet & do you have any tips & pictures ?

The picture in the center IS mine. I won it on ebay and it arrived TRASHED after traveling cross country via priority mail without ANY packing material. It was smashed to pieces.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than these three models, I haven't had an Apollo kit since I was less than 10 yrs old. (I think that was a LEM.) Over in the Real Space section at resinilluminati there may be some folk that can help you along. It looks like a great kit!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Great OOB reviews on these kits. I picked up a RealSpeace conversion kit for the Sat V so that will look more accurate. I'm not going to go too nuts though...

I have 2 of the 3 re-isssue kits (Sat V and Lunar Landing kits.)

I had a question for you. You mentioned working with the silver painted parts on the Sat V...and that certain glues were BAD for it and would possibly melt it.

What kind of glues would be safe to use? Testors tube glue?

thanks,

MMM

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had this experience once in the last few years and it was with an original cylon basestar. I 'think' it was CA I used. However, that model is such a piece of crud to begin with that I can't say it wasn't the model itself... I do recall as kid, I tried gluing silver painted parts a few times and those turned to goop using testors plastic cement. Different situation there of course (me painting silver vs. silver color in the plastic itself...)

It may have been an offhand comment I should not have made, but it is something I will be wary about when I approach the build.

Has anyone else ever come across such a situation where high 'silver' content in the plastic has caused adverse gluing situations?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've never really noticed much of a difference between the different colour of plastics myself. What appears to be glue problems for me on silver was also present on other different colour plastics. I figured that it was my skill level at the time as these were all older models.

I suppose it's possible that the silver plastic could have different quality compared to other plastics, but even that has changed over the years. Older kits use a decidedly different plastic than modern kits.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Great reviews, I still have a couple of the kits to build. I did a review of the Lander but I'm not up on the ships accuracy.
Fun kits anyway, thanks for sharing, keep the reviews coming,
Rob
Monster Model Review

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I haven't watched Model Mans vids yet so he may have mentioned this already. A couple of things to watch out for. The C/SM on the Saturn V is a block one, this can be replaced with a correct block two from Glenn Johnson's, www.realspacemodels.com, resin C/SM. Check it out, great site.

The sencond thing is the command modual on the 1/32 C/SM IS NOT GOLD! It is silver (more like a mirrored silver tape). The reason Monogram, the original marketeer, gave it a gold finish is because they copied a great color picture that showed, most likely at sunset, a gold reflection from said sunset coming from the earth in the silver/mirrored tape. Hence the gold. The gold is merely a coating. This can be removed in a variety of ways without harming the chrome plating beneath it. The only method that comes to mind is denatured alcohol.

Another method I just thought of, but not tried, is finger nail polish remover. If you should try this method, of course test it on a chrome plated sprue first. I'm pretty sure of this but not positive.

One last thing, the 1/144 Saturn V is of an early rocket so be careful here. This kit has eight ullage rockets on the S-II stage, laters had four. So if you want to represent later missions you'll need to remove four of them.

Rick Sternback at www.spacemodesystems.com has the ultimate decals for both the 1/32 C/SM as well as the 1/144 Saturn V. They don't get any better than these, and they're not very expensive to boot. Any marking you can find in pictures will be on his set. Rick did incredible research on all his decals. Check out his great site too.

There's more but it's 0345 and I'm about to conk out! Maybe more tomorrow.

hal9001-

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
One other thing. Another problem with Saturn V is the command modual, the way it is in the kit is wrong for a manned flight article. Not only becasue of it being in the block I configuration as mentioned in my first post, but it's not supposed to have the LES (launch escape system) tower attached directly to the command modual, but rather to the BPC (boost protective cover).

Well, it is actualy attached to the CM, but at a certain altitude it is jettisoned along with the BPC.

Which is a fiberglass cover that protects the CM during launch and in the event of an abort and the LES rockets are fired. Google and study some pictures and you'll see what I mean. Not easily corrected, but if you're a stickler for accuracy, you'll need to vaccum form one.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
When you talk about "silver painted parts" what do you mean? Parts molded in silver colored plastic, parts chrome plated, or parts you pre-painted with silver paint?

You should be able to glue silver plastic with any GOOD quality plastic cement. Tube glue or Testors Model Master black bottle stuff is not very good... its thick, gloppy and makes a mess. Get something good like Tamiya Extra Thin Liquid Cement, Tenax, or just a pink of MEK at the hardware store. Will glue model plastic very neatly and easily.

Chrome and pre-painted parts need to have the plating or paint removed from the glue surfaces. CA glue doesn't work too well on slick chrome and there is the risk the chrome will flake off the part if it isn't removed first.

Revell Germany does offer one variety of their Contacta glue line that is meant to bond through chrome although it is a bit messy to use (thick and gooey stuff).

As for the gold plating on the Monogram CSM... just strip the whole mess off with something like Super Clean. When you get the plastic washed up, spray it with Tamiya Gloss Black spray can lacquer. When dry, just airbrush on Alclad Chrome (or Polished Aluminum, or whatever other finish you want). Alclad chrome is excellent and looks more realistic than most model chrome parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts