Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another Out of the Box Review. This time we're looking at Round Two's Vulcan Shuttle repop. This kit hasn't been around for nearly 30 years. R2 upped the ante by including two full-sized sheets of detailed decals, a new stand and two neo magnets for the detachable space pod. The decals allow for one of two versions of the model to be represented - as it was in TMP and in 'official' starfleet colors.

This kit was $27 at my LHS. While it can be found cheaper online, once you factor in shipping, taxes and all that hubub, it's basically a $30 kit w/ pocket change. While the decals do add some value, I think this is more of a $25 OTD model. If it weren't for the decals, it would be a ripoff at $20. What could make this kit a $30 value is if there were clear parts for lighting. I'll make an attempt myself, but the model is not setup to make lighting easy.

All that being said, the plastic is durable and the ease of construction makes it an ideal kit for someone getting into the hobby. The artwork is gorgeous and the gloss finish sends it over the top. I'd really hate to throw this box out, but it's not much use for anything else. I can't comment on the model's accuracy, I simply don't know.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I've got two original Vulcan shuttles on my shelf downstairs and I was thinking that even though I like the design, I was going to pass on this particular release.
Even after seeing it at ihobby.
But after seeing the decal sheet in the youtube video, I'm sold.
Bob and Jamie have done it again.
Two full decal sheets is a great selling point even if you already have one.

One decal sheet for the model you just bought.
And one left over to decal one you may have already had on your self.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Now I built this kit back in 83 or so! I order one yesterday off of CultTVMan site so now I waite. Now at my IPMS model club they like us to show our kits that we've done many years ago and then show the new one to compair the difference. I think that is a cool thing. I did that with my Aurora Godzilla that I still have and then compaired it to my new one.
Now on the old one I don't remember the decals so I need to pull it off the shelf and look at it. And the magnets are cool cause I remember the top kept falling off.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You know, I have two of the original issue, one built up in Federation colors, and one new in box. I wasn't planning to buy this re-issue, but with the mold improvements to the sled / shuttle attachment area and the awesome decals, I am very tempted. I'd love to build it up as the mauve Vulcan version.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I have two of the original issue, one built up in Federation colors, and one new in box. I wasn't planning to buy this re-issue, but with the mold improvements to the sled / shuttle attachment area and the awesome decals, I am very tempted. I'd love to build it up as the mauve Vulcan version.
So they did change the molds up? Was it just hte sled or any other details you could discern? (I should've held the cam on some of the details a little better.)

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
it appears, at least to my eye that the only modifications that they made is the hole for the magnets to be placed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the review, MM! I was kinda on the fence about picking one up, waiting for a vid-review and now I'm sold. I look forward to seeing vids on your build-up, assuming you make any.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the review, MM! I was kinda on the fence about picking one up, waiting for a vid-review and now I'm sold. I look forward to seeing vids on your build-up, assuming you make any.
I always vid everything build process I do. While the assembly on this could probably be done blindfolded, the finishing is where this one would get hung up. I've got a few other kits way ahead in line with this one. It was something of an impulse buy, if you'll forgive the potential pun.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was very much "on the fence" for this model but seeing as it includes potentially to do *2* models makes me think. I've got an old build up that could use some finishing help. I think I just may have to get this one as well!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I like the review.

I don't know why they changed the stand. The original Vulcan Shuttle was the only TMP ship that stayed on it's triangular stand.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Great review, MM. Thanks!

I wasn't sure if I was going to get this, as well. But the decals--and the box art alone--make me want to get this. The box art is one of the best I've seen for a kit.

Sean

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree that there is no way the Vulcan shuttle should be a $30 retail kit! Very liitle plastic/size to it. I am excited about the reissue with the new decals but I seriously thought this was a $22-24 retail kit. The reissue Enterprise 18" was alot of size and great decals for $22 retail (I believe).
Gary:thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Model Man- Thanks for taking the time to review our kits. You are very thorough and fair.

I'd like to point out the tooling adjustments made to the kit. Besides the spots to put the magnets, we did accurize the sleds compared the the previous version. We also reworked the nacelle vents. They were pretty chunky before. Good luck to all of you with your builds.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Model Man- Thanks for taking the time to review our kits. You are very thorough and fair.

I'd like to point out the tooling adjustments made to the kit. Besides the spots to put the magnets, we did accurize the sleds compared the the previous version. We also reworked the nacelle vents. They were pretty chunky before. Good luck to all of you with your builds.
Hey what is the good word on the refit. Is it still coming this month?

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

I've annotated the video with your notes, thanks.

·
Curmudgeon
6,602 Posts
Another schmuck here with an original kit in his unbuilt stack. Originally I wasn't planning to get the reissued kit, but after reading about the modifications and decal sheets (here and on other forums) I'm seriously considering it now.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
PS -

I thought that I'd read something somewhere about a bit of minor retooling for this kit. Thanks for bringing it up - I knew I wasn't imagining it.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I remember seeing that kit with box art from STIII back in the late 80s - early 90s at a local flea market. Had the money at the time to buy it but neglected to do so.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts