Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up the other day. A-Mazing! A big ol' model kit to be sure. I break out the regular MPC version and the Battle of Hoth version for 3 scales in comparison.

-The pre-paint aspect is sub par and clearly needs to be done proper.

-A very few seams need to be filled.

-The legs, head and lasers are 'moveable'. Poseable is likely the better term. The hips, knees and ankles have a 'ractcheting' mechanism. The proepr term is not coming to mind at the moment. When loose, the legs swing all over the place. When tight, boy are they locked down.

I'm hoping to do some stop-motion with this at some point, but that cannot be done without major mods first. The hips need beefing up regardless. The feet have no bottoms!

Right Out of the Box:

Built:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Very cool!

Hey, could you fix the legs into a stable, natural position and glue?

Also, I don't have the expertise to tackle that seam on the very top of the main body and there's a raised panel line that's segmented by the presence of the seam. How would you correct for this?

And don't forget, they walk like elephants - one step at a time. Not like horses where 2, 3 or even all feet can be in the air at any given time. Of course, an elephant in a full-on trot or charge would move more feet at once.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool!

Hey, could you fix the legs into a stable, natural position and glue?
Oh yes. Taking the time to put the legs into a suitable position is not difficult.

Also, I don't have the expertise to tackle that seam on the very top of the main body and there's a raised panel line that's segmented by the presence of the seam. How would you correct for this?
I'd use your taping technique to protect everything that can't be puttied and go from there. A raised panel line can, presumably, be sanded off and replaced with an ultra-thin styrene rod/strand in teh sub-mm length.

And don't forget, they walk like elephants - one step at a time. Not like horses where 2, 3 or even all feet can be in the air at any given time. Of course, an elephant in a full-on trot or charge would move more feet at once.
Yes. First, I gotta think how to engineer this for ambulation. I know a pupeteer that can give me some pointers. Second, i gotta study elephants exactly the way ILM did it. Maybe even do up some animatics/rough animations to get the feel -just like ILM did.

It's a project and a half.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts