Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A model so big, the review had to be done in four parts!

I'd like to get several of these, but it is so massive, this will likely be it.

Possible Configurations:
In-Flight, with and without interior
Landed, with and without interior
Cut-Away Profile with interior
and as
USAF Space Probe No 1 from "The Invaders" The Twilight Zone.

Despite all the accuracy issues, this kit is a deal for the amount of plastic.
The large seams are going to be difficult.
I'll build the interior as it's own model displayed independently.

And here it is in The Twilight Zone
http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twi...id=yCJ05E_QcPAV9q0gPug0vebSpj4xNVtP&play=true

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That's.... a BIG model.....!!! :freak:

SO big that I don't know if I will ever get one. Where would it go?!? :confused:

What would be neat would be to duplicate the lower dome engine effect (looking all as much as the bussard blades in TOS Trek in some depictions) and she'd have to be in flight mode for that. Hanging from the ceiling might be the only real option for some people.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about commenting on that Twilight Zone video... can't see it. I'm "out of the geographic zone" which probably means if you're outside the USA, you're hooped.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is bigger than a dining room table display -even if it doubles as an hors' dee'overs tray! A proper diorama scene involving this puppy would take up the entire corner of a room! 24" would have been much better for this kit. Maybe 1/96? 1/144 would be too small at 14".

Too bad you can't see the episode. It only plays through the TV station CBS here Stateside. Maybe you will have a local affiliate of some kind that syndicates the old Twilight Zone. It was hulu.com that linked me to CBS.

Here's the only thing on YT. The full episode used to be there.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
to reinforce the hull and get rid of the flimsiness, get some 2-part foam and pour or spray it into the saucer. Make sure you have the alignment correct though - that is, make sure the saucer isn't warped in any way as the foam cures.

I was planning on using aves and a hand sander to attack the seams. Maybe a full-size hand sander or one of those really small ones from micro mark to make the job of seam removal easier. Even if it sanded the non-puttied places of the plastic, I could co back over it with some finer and finer grit sandpaper. I'd love to see a before and after shot of someone's sanding arm after fixing the seams by hand.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
This is bigger than a dining room table display -even if it doubles as an hors' dee'overs tray! A proper diorama scene involving this puppy would take up the entire corner of a room! 24" would have been much better for this kit. Maybe 1/96? 1/144 would be too small at 14".

Too bad you can't see the episode. It only plays through the TV station CBS here Stateside. Maybe you will have a local affiliate of some kind that syndicates the old Twilight Zone. It was hulu.com that linked me to CBS.

Here's the only thing on YT. The full episode used to be there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80UXmHK18rU
Since there is no gravity in space-no up or down- does it matter if it appears upside down in this episode?:jest:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the nice review, Model Man. I'm surprised that PL didn't address some of the glaring errors on this redo. It looks to me like the only change is the addition of the ID monster and a few crew members plus Alta. That triangular thing in the crew lounge instead of the crew couch is the worst mistake but there are also other mistakes. I corrected that and many other things on my early version model but hoped they were going to correct them with the new release.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few times to say the least....
I'm sure it was overused often. I don't know what other episodes or shows it was in. Probably a question for Carson D. or GKvfx. I do know this was what Kubrick had in mind when he destroyed all his 2001 models -he didn't want them re-used in other films or shows.

PS, There is a video on youtube somewhere showing the original four-footer at the auction block. The body seems to show cracks in the same places that Agnes Moorehead axed it to pieces in that TZ episode linked above. I guess it wasn't a stunt ship taking those blows afterall. :cry:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
A few times to say the least....
Twilight Zone episodes featuring the full-scale C-57D mockup and/or stock footage of the miniature:

"Third From The Sun"
"The Invaders"
"To Serve Man" (also used footage from Earth vs. the Flying Saucers)
"Death Ship"
"On Thursday We Leave For Home"

"The Rip Van Winkle Caper" briefly used Robby's jeep. Robby himself appeared in "The Brain Center At Whipple's" and "Uncle Simon."
The body seems to show cracks in the same places that Agnes Moorehead axed it to pieces in that TZ episode linked above. I guess it wasn't a stunt ship taking those blows afterall. :cry:
I read that a cheap plaster-and-wood copy of the hero model stood in for the trashed ship. Notice that when Ms. Moorehead is whaling away at the saucer with an axe, you never actually see the implement make contact with the ship.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a lot of shows. I'll dig for them all.

Notice that when Ms. Moorehead is whaling away at the saucer with an axe, you never actually see the implement make contact with the ship.
I kinda hoped they pulled the ol' switcheroo. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts