Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, But realspace is my favorite topic.

Annnnd..this was science fiction a few decades ago.
Still tweaking the figure.

It looked this way on friday:

Steve

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Now, didn't they reissue the kit with the maneuvering backpack that was supposed to be tested on a Gemini flight. but didn't due to suit issues?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's a different MK of the Gemini suit. I've seen the MMU kits but I wasn't looking for differences or similarities.

Steve

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The astronaut with the Gemini AMU was from Aurora. The Revell Gemini Astronaut was used in the later Revell kit with a Space Shuttle AMU.

Larry

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
The astronaut with the Gemini AMU was from Aurora. The Revell Gemini Astronaut was used in the later Revell kit with a Space Shuttle AMU.

Larry
See, I didn't even KNOW Aurora did an astronaut kit, or it was a foggy memory. I don't recall seeing it in a store when I was buying such things back in the '60s. :)

So I know Revell did an 'Astronaut on the Moon' kit, was that a massive re-tool of this or all new?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you guys! I know the kit in pieces looks mighty creepy..

Steve go to Sven's site:
http://www.ninfinger.org/models/space_models.html#us_launch

He shows all the models that were done of the real space subjects.

He's almost finished, I'm waiting for the future on the face plate to cure so I can paint the frame. I'm not going to "mirror" the thing, I kinda like the way the face looks..I do need to de-stare his eyes a bit more ..lol

The right eye need a bit more work..lol
And the NASA meatball has a swoosh on it? where did that come from?..and of course all my decs have the same swoosh

Steve

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Well! That site about space kits destroys my mind, because I want every single plastic kit he's listed. I do. I want to build all those again! :)

And turns out I DID have the Aurora Gemini astronaut! I recall that box vividly! I seem to recall I had bought it (or, properly, asked for it) because I had thoughts of using the MMU for either my GI Joes (too small) or Major Matt Mason (too big).

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Revell took one of their old 60s Gemini astronaut kits and stuck a shuttle test MMU on it in the 1980s. The kit is not accurate for anything.

Revell had a different astronaut kit, the big Neil Armstrong model. This was reissued in the late 90s when Revell finally got around to making a new mold to replace the missing clear face visor. I can't say I have ever seen that kit built up... its not very popular.

The Revell astronauts have nothing to do with the Aurora astronaut.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That is a seriously cool kit. My son and I built one many years ago from a repop of it that I had in the stash. He needed a kit for some school project and Dad came up with this one. IMHO it really is a nice model.

Max Bryant

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
Revell had a different astronaut kit, the big Neil Armstrong model. This was reissued in the late 90s when Revell finally got around to making a new mold to replace the missing clear face visor. I can't say I have ever seen that kit built up... its not very popular.
Revell's "Apollo Astronaut on the Moon". It might not have been the best selling kit from Revell's catalogue, but I wouldn't say it's not very popular.

My older brother gave me this kit when it was originally released in 1970 because I had a strong interest in the Apollo space missions. At the time I didn't know (and didn't care about) how inaccurate it was, I just thought it was cool. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think this is another of Revell's real space kits on which the inaccuracies can be explained by NASA providing reference material that had been declassified but contained design issues that were obsolete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts