Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project that will use a circuit board that runs off of 9v and a separate lighting circuit that runs off of 3v.

Is there any way to wire this up so that one switch activates both circuits? (A common ground, perhaps...?)

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
I have a project that will use a circuit board that runs off of 9v and a separate lighting circuit that runs off of 3v.

Is there any way to wire this up so that one switch activates both circuits? (A common ground, perhaps...?)

Thanks in advance.
Use a DPST switch, it is a single switch that has essentially two switches built into it you can run your 9v circuit through one side and your 3v through the other side without any risk of bridging the two voltages.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
A double pole single throw (DPST) switch would work for applying power to each circuit simultaneously. One pole would be connected to the 9v source and the contact side is attached to the 9v circuit. The other pole would be connected to the 3 volt source and the contact side is attached the 3 volt circuit.

The common (or GND) connections for the 3v and 9v circuits are tied together and don't need to be switched.

When the switch is thrown both circuits receive power .

In the diagram below:
9v source connects to A and B ties to the circuit needing 9v
3v source connects to C and D ties to the circuit needing 3v

There a re a few styles of DPST switches shown here:
http://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?page=seek&id[m]=pattern&id[q]=DPST&x=0&y=0

Hope this helps

Regards,
MattL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly what I need, guys. Thanks.

I understand the theory behind most electronics, but have little experience in applying that. I did manage to light up my 1:350 refit with circuits of my own design that works well, and have built a couple of Federation Flasher boards, so I'm not a complete novice at working with switches and a soldering iron, but I still have so, so much to learn...!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts