Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my final model kit entry for my Star Trek display at the High River Public Library. I only had one day to paint him up. Luckily, I was able to get all the seam lines cleaned up and parts glued together five days earilier and the pants and shirt painted at the same time, but it still came down to getting the rest of the model finished in one night.

I started on Spock at 9:00 pm with the goal of having him finished by 9:00 am the next day for the library display. Anyway, here's the entire build as I was furiously moving along at a crazy pace to meet the deadline.

Here's the start of my build of the AMT Mr. Spock kit I recieved from X-mas from my lovely wife.

After glueing the pants together and cleaning up the seam lines, I discovered that a common Bic pen with some tape on it fit into the pant leg. This makes a good stand for spray painting.

The instructions say to leave off the left arm until you glue on Spock's head. This is so that you can put on the Tricorder strap on Spock by slipping it over his right arm and head.

However, I discovered that you can glue on both arms and leave Spock's head off until the final step, you can still get the strap on him. Here's how :

Slipping on the strap over the headless Spock.

And then glue on his head...well, after you paint him. And speaking of painting...

Because I needed to paint this kit in one evening, I was careful with this build to paint only the areas that needed paint and I tried not to go out of the "Lines" of the kit, basically painting it like you would colour a colouring book.

Spock with his blue shirt on. The head and comminicator hand are not glued in at this point.

The Tree :

The base painted with Testor's Zinc Chromate.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

The other side.

Zinc Chromate applied to the snakes.

The base with everything painted in various enamel paints, but not glued on. I applied a black wash to all surfaces using Games Workshop Acrylic Bedab Black Wash then glued on the parts this morning before going to the library.

Spock's head just before painting the hair black. Makes him look old.

He also has a sepia wash.

Spock with black paint. The camera makes his skin looks like a Gi-Joe plastic toy.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And now...for the finished model!

I stared painting Mr. Spock at 9:00 pm and finished at 7:30 am, working all through the night in order to make the deadline. I slept for 1.5 hours and then glued Spock together and had him at the library by 10:30 am.

Because of time restraints, I couldn't put on his Tricorder because the gloss black paint on the strap was still sticky and I didn't want black stripes getting on his shirt. Therefore, his head wasn't glued on. I'll do that when I get the model back in February.

The snakes' tounges were painted using 1971 Chrysler Hot Magenta. Teeth are bare plastic. They will yellow naturally over the upcoming years. Should be interesting to see that process.

A close-up of Spock's boot and surrounding plants. His boots were still a bit sticky when I sent him to the Library, so I had to be very careful not to touch them or else I would have left a permanet fingerprint in them and would have had to repaint them. Note the effect of the black wash on the rocks!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Spock was making so much noise with the snakes that....

.....Sparky the dog decided to join in!

Hope you like the build-up!

Next up are Robby the Robot and Ed Roth's Scuz Fink. I think I'm going to paint their bases with the same colour pallet so that it looks like all Sci-Fi characters are on the same planet. I think they are all @ 1/12th scale as well.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Turned out very nice. What a way to do a build, it is a hobby after all! I have done that many times in the past on model rockets the days and night before a contest. My plastic modeling is more relaxed though, no deadlines to be met. But thanks a bunch for the build walk-through. I very much enjoy and learn from these. I am currently doing something similar with the Moebius Frankenstein in the Moebius group. I'm also hoping others may lend suggestions as well since I am still a relative novice. But again, a very nice build on a very tight timeline.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I finished up my Spock kit on Sunday. I did it in about 3-4 days, but your overnight build looks quite a bit better than mine! Impressive! :thumbsup:

I discovered the same thing as you with regards to the tricorder, the arm, and Spock's head. Made things easier, didn't it?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
FAR OUT!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Spock was making so much noise with the snakes that....

.....Sparky the dog decided to join in!

Hope you like the build-up!

Next up are Robby the Robot and Ed Roth's Scuz Fink. I think I'm going to paint their bases with the same colour pallet so that it looks like all Sci-Fi characters are on the same planet. I think they are all @ 1/12th scale as well.
Great job Dude!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very impressive! I don't know how you got it done so fast.
You must have a secret stash of dilithium crystals somewhere:D

My kids got me one for Christmas and now I might try mine after RF & I finish up our Monster Scenes team build. Thanks for sharing another fantastic build and some great building techniques, MCR!:thumbsup:

A.U.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
roadflea said:
what did you use for the flesh on spock ?
I mixed a flesh tone with a brown until it looked like tanned skin and then I painted that on the face and hands. After it dried, I used a Games Workshop Sepia wash over the whole thing and stopped there. It worked out perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
For a rush job in a hobby that demands patience and taking your sweet time, that turned out very nice, indeed!
Congratulations on your build-up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ Mitchellmania - Aren't you glad I finally built a figure! :D

@ Seaview - I wouldn't think of doing that! these rare tin boxes should be held in high honour like collectible lunchboxes. Try not to scratch up the painted images.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts