Hobbyist Forums banner
1961 - 1980 of 2005 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,961 · (Edited)
GMC Militray Truck -- N.Y. Desert Rats

GMC trucks where reliable & carried all the supplies (fuel, water,food,ammunition, etc.) needed during long trips into the desert for reconnaissance behind enemy lines. Windshield glass was removed so it would not reflect the sun exposing their position.

The body underwent extensive fabrication to be screw mounted on a T-jet chassis.

Notice both front & rear rims: plastic kit rims were glued to narrowed magnatration rims then turned to original size & shape for mounting of tires.

Rear view of the new truck in desert camo ready for service & loading of all the crew's gear.

Notice shell storage. The gun & tailgate are pose able.

Hope you like the desert rats truck. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,962 ·
Jeep Renegade

The shop while working on the military versions picked up an AW JEEP RENEGADE with a very nice red paint job & white lettered tires. Immediately the guys replaced the steering wheel with a smaller one.

Customer did not like the bright blue interior which the guys changed to black.

Customer wanted the usual power winch, crash bar & lights assembly installed on the front bumper .

On the rear; a container with bracket, extra chrome wheel & tow hitch were installed.

Customer wanted the shop to locate a motorcyle trailer for the Jeep. ... To be cont'd about Trailer

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,963 ·
Jeep Renegade CON'T

Motorcycle Trailer

The shop found a very good color-matched Motorcycle trailer by MatchBox for the customer.

The detail on the tailgate was fantastic!

The motorcycle had to be painted to match the Jeep & came out very well.

The combination looks great & customer was very happy!

Onto the next project. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,965 ·
Jeep & One More Customer Request

The Jeep will also be used to tow the customer's horse trailer by Matchbox.

The Horse "Black Beauty" had a short visit to the shop to level the hitch.

The Jeep easily tows around either trailer! Customer satisfied, NOW to the Next project. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,967 ·
Shop Adjustment

Took long time since last update: Due to pandemic the shop had to social distance so two guys took the Utility truck to a small home garage to set for work in their own separate bubble until new rule allow larger bubble.

Finished detail on ambulance chassis frames & fuel tanks.

Plus interior detail.

So for awhile pics will becoming from both areas! ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,968 · (Edited)
AutoWorld HO CORVETTES

Stock to the right & left lowered + new fabricated clip-on mount on faster inline chassis.

Rear view: Now that is the stance for a Corvette!

Now both the same, a good friend of the shop wanted his lowered & mounted the same way!

Shop used a track section to show the true stance with guide pin attached. One of the best produced Corvette Bodies. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,970 · (Edited)
Barn Find Willy's Converted to Delivery

A new shop member converted a Barn Find Willy's & a Van into Delivery mounted on to an AFX chassis with side clips removed. Then fabricated screw posts for mounting the body to the chassis. It was an all out kitbash using a Willys and a van !!

Decals were made & applied representing our local hobby shop.

Great kit bash conversion to a Willy's Delivery. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,972 ·
Chassis Changes
Side retainers Removal & Reinforcing Chassis

AMX #6, Thunder jet Body, mounted by screw post to an AFX or Magnatraction Chassis after removal of side retainers.
A shop member can up with a way to reinforce the chassis.

After removing the side retainers, the chassis is reinforced with staples and super glue. Staples from a small scissors stapler were super glued into holes drilled with a .020 drill bit, a #76. on both sides of the chassis.

Body is mounted to a stiff chassis.

Ready for racing.
A tech tip probably known by other shops but new to this shop but hopeful informative for some. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,973 ·
Metal Machines -- Horizon
Metal machines by zuru are all plastic bodies except for metal base pan. This body resembles a Cobra with a hard top & modern large engine installed. The shop really likes the body design.

Mounted on a 4 gear chassis with side clips removed & screw posts mounted. Low front fascia was greatly modified to accommodate pick-up shoes. Notice additional supports at base of screw posts & attachment glued to lower half of chassis for rear screw post (chassis halves can still separate for maintenance). These were needed mods for wheel well alignment.

Due to cool body design, it was a must to mount the body to a chassis.

The car received chrome rims from the liquid chrome 2mm pen. It is a good running car. ..RL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Metal Machines -- Horizon
Metal machines by zuru are all plastic bodies except for metal base pan. This body resembles a Cobra with a hard top & modern large engine installed. The shop really likes the body design.

Mounted on a 4 gear chassis with side clips removed & screw posts mounted. Low front fascia was greatly modified to accommodate pick-up shoes. Notice additional supports at base of screw posts & attachment glued to lower half of chassis for rear screw post (chassis halves can still separate for maintenance). These were needed mods for wheel well alignment.

Due to cool body design, it was a must to mount the body to a chassis.

The car received chrome rims from the liquid chrome 2mm pen. It is a good running car. ..RL
Very nice fit. Like how you created both post mounts. I need to get some of these new Metal Machines now! I forgot about them since I don’t see them in Target. I gotta get to a Walmart.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,976 ·
Super Modified Mustang Race Car

One of the shops mod race car being prepped for a race day.

Clean up chassis then lightly oil.

Showing body mounts. Brass soldered bars attached to body. Notice rear staple top plate retainer.

Body & Chassis, notice machines & drilled front tires and front axle mods plus Mustang on rear spoiler.

Need to clean dust off tires. Just the way we build modifies for club racing rules.

Ready for transport to race meet. ..RL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Super Modified Mustang Race Car

One of the shops mod race car being prepped for a race day.

Clean up chassis then lightly oil.

Showing body mounts. Brass soldered bars attached to body. Notice rear staple top plate retainer.

Body & Chassis, notice machines & drilled front tires and front axle mods plus Mustang on rear spoiler.

Need to clean dust off tires. Just the way we build modifies for club racing rules.

Ready for transport to race meet. ..RL
Very creative radical chassis setup. I always wanted to chop off the Autoworld 4 Gears side tabs but don’t know how to beef up the structure. I am sure you guys did that before and I didn’t come across the info yet. Using staples is very interesting!

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,978 ·
tjetken

Mod Mustang is in a modified class & with missing front of the top plate thus reinforcement needed. You can cut off the side clips to mount a narrow body, a complete top plate will maintain chassis rigidity. Have cut off side clips on both regular chassis & 4 gear chassis which have a longer top plate & rear bottom screw chassis attachment with no reinforcement needed. On 4 gear you can fabricate front screw mount & rear post bracket to straddle chassis like on original Aurora 4 gear bodies. Also review post above for Metal Machine - Horizon mounting pic 4 gear.

When viewing earlier posts, we all had trouble with Photobucket changing from free to expensive yearly fee for hosting our pics so you will see PHOTOBUCKET across these pic or totally deleted with only explanation remaining.
Most now use free Imgur pic host. Enjoy viewing previous post in the forum.

FYI .... Hope it helps & enjoy your post so keep posting. ..RL

·
Registered
78 Posts
tjetken

Mod Mustang is in a modified class & with missing front of the top plate thus reinforcement needed. You can cut off the side clips to mount a narrow body, a complete top plate will maintain chassis rigidity. Have cut off side clips on both regular chassis & 4 gear chassis which have a longer top plate & rear bottom screw chassis attachment with no reinforcement needed. On 4 gear you can fabricate front screw mount & rear post bracket to straddle chassis like on original Aurora 4 gear bodies. Also review post above for Metal Machine - Horizon mounting pic 4 gear.

When viewing earlier posts, we all had trouble with Photobucket changing from free to expensive yearly fee for hosting our pics so you will see PHOTOBUCKET across these pic or totally deleted with only explanation remaining.
Most now use free Imgur pic host. Enjoy viewing previous post in the forum.

FYI .... Hope it helps & enjoy your post so keep posting. ..RL
Thank you for all the info!! I now feel less fearful when chopping off the 4 gears tabs epecially when NO reinforcement is neccessary. Yes, I did see your Metal Machine using 4 gears pics and I saved those pics too for future reference. That must be a lot of precise measuring to get the 2 posts right. I will do the 4 gears conversions one day. In the meantime whenever someone does a plastic body conversion, I try to buy the same “diecast” for future use. I am still on my TYCO US1 obsession!

I went though all of yours and Hilltop’s posts in this forum recently and I saved many informative pics and text. I will also read other posters too. There is a lot of good info and customs out there. There is over 8.8M views on this custom section so it must contain very interesting posts. I just can’t believe how many customs you, Hilltop and other guys did on this forum! It’s just So amazing! I hope you guys can display them at your place to admire all your creations.

1961 - 1980 of 2005 Posts