Hobbyist Forums banner
1981 - 2000 of 2005 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,981 ·
Bonneville Salt Lake Racers
The shop started with a Willys body (not original Aurora) then multiple modifications & fabrication resulted in basic body for racer.

With filling, sanding, priming & process repeated a few time then body fitted & mounted on chassis . Wheel disc were fabricated & installed. Paint applied & a few decals.

Work in progress... to be Continued. ..RL

Happy Canada Day to All .. RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,985 ·
Another Bonneville Racer

If You like #7 then you should like the next Racer #4 & it's wheel rims!

Built from a tyco 34 roadster back-end & tyco 40 Ford hood, both from the junkyard leftovers behind the shop. Plus a lot of styrene fabrication.

Both are fast racers around the track, you know the combination of light weight & hot armature! ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,986 ·
Finished the Willys Modified Racer
Front bar fabricated & attached to chassis. More number decals applied.

Rear bars fabricated, soldered together & attached to chassis for protection in the Friday night racing.

Practice laps at the Track .

Runs very well right out of the box! ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,988 ·
Ford F100 Stake Truck WIP

Cab from Life Like Scene Master truck was painted a dull pink then to be mounted on AFX chassis without side clip. The cab needed extensive modification to fit chassis ( thinning of inside walls, wheel wells enlarged & rear wall cut to fit over chassis). A black base was fabricated for stake bed.

Stake bed base was attached to cab then cab screw mounted to chassis.

An evergreen planked sheet to represent wood planks will be installed on top of stake bed base. More additions to come to complete the truck!
To be continued ...RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,989 ·
Ford F100 Stake Truck Con't

Fabricated wood truck bed & installed.

Detailed view of lightly painted bed & outlined frame.

Notice the scrubbed paint of cab to represent a used but not abused truck. The stakes will be added to sides when suitable donor truck found. For now, a flat bed runner & track scenery. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,990 ·
Pony Trailer

Checking the die cast pegs which these days are slim pickings, found this Matchbox Pony Trailer : Police Mounted Unit. Another trailer for the red Jeep until a suitable tow vehicle can be built or purchased.

An easy & level mount to the Jeep tow hitch. A good vehicle would be the Aurora AFX Black Chevy Blazer which would only requiring a Police insignia & tow hitch mounting. ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,994 ·
tjetken
The RCMP car is very rare vehicle & very accurate with color (dark blue), insignia & make of the vehicle of the time. Living near Pearson International Airport at the time, I saw the real car pulling into the local McDonald's for breakfast with RCMP officers in their daily airport uniforms NOT the red jacket & brown pointy hat (dress uniform).
The RCMP car was produce at the time Aurora shut down so limited production & distribution thus expensive. Hope this info helps explains why so expensive. ..RL.

·
Registered
78 Posts
tjetken
The RCMP car is very rare vehicle & very accurate with color (dark blue), insignia & make of the vehicle of the time. Living near Pearson International Airport at the time, I saw the real car pulling into the local McDonald's for breakfast with RCMP officers in their daily airport uniforms NOT the red jacket & brown pointy hat (dress uniform).
The RCMP car was produce at the time Aurora shut down so limited production & distribution thus expensive. Hope this info helps explains why so expensive. ..RL.
Thanks for the info!! A couple of years ago, I saw a mint one at Bob Beer’s Long Island Slot Car Show in NY, Farmingdale for $350 and recently on ebay for $525. I should have purchased it at the show. :(

I recently brought 2 AFX police car bodies and was thinking of making a clone but eventually I will want to buy a real one. Just another project added on my list Which I may never get to.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,996 ·
Tanker trailers for a Semi

The shop acquired two Herpa, all plastic Tanker trailers. Just a little LONGER than the usual Big Rig trailers but the detail was excellent thus next shop project. Notice two platforms required for display,

First the name removal then deconstruction and strategic planning on where the reduction should occur to maintain the detail. Tank & hatch framing reduced then frame reduced behind landing gear & before wheel assembly. Reassembled & silver paint applied to frame. New wheel axles & adjusted suspension assembly were needed to level trailer height to match Semi fifth wheel connection. Guide pin attached between rear wheels.
Notice only one platform for display.

TEXACO TANKER

The shop mounted a modified conventional cab on to converted slot-less chassis to slotted. It was painted & decals applied as a Texaco tanker semi.

Trailer painted & decals applied in the shop.

Texaco tanker on the road now!

One more tanker to come! ..RL

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,000 ·
Thanks for the positive comments they are greatly appreciated.

Second Herpa Tanker Trailer for ANOTHER TANKER SEMI

Following the above reduction methods, the second tanker.

SHELL TANKER
Trailer painted to match Shell colors & decals applied in the shop.

The shop mounted a stock cab over on to a stock magnatraction chassis & applied a few shell decals.

The Shell Semi in the shop & notice both tankers have landing gear.

Shell Tanker on the road now!

DO not throw anything OUT. The two cut down white pieces from each tanker where put together & mounted on a Truck for scenery now but a future WATER truck project to be motorized.

On the road again! ..RL

1981 - 2000 of 2005 Posts