Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think "the other Karl" will enjoy this one :p
Don't know much about it, hopefully Karl have a tail to spin over this Tekno :wave:

Karl-E. Denmark

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hi Karl-e

This Tekno #485 is a replica of a Triangel fire truck. This Triangel casting was made between 1946 to 1959. Ref: "Tekno Made in Denmark" by Dorte Johansen.

I am sure you know that Triangel was once one of Demark's premier motor vehicle manufacturers and faded during the 1950's becoming distributors for other companies including BMC.

Karl over to you now mate! :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
What I like about those Tekno models is the effort made to include an actual triangle logo in the casting made for the wheels (or wheel covers).

Back in that era most toy/model cars had one or two generic wheels used on all models. See the contemporary Dinky & Corgi toys.

But Tekno took the time to create a separate, and presumably correct, casting for this obscure brand of Danish truck. Amazing.

I know Tekno also created unique and correct wheel castings for many models - to my memory Volvos and the superb Mustangs.

- ranchero -

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mr Ranchero, You have a keen eye,my friend! But you have opened up a can of worms! I do not really think those Triangel wheels are prototypical only becasue of these:

DODGE:

PACARD [sic]:

DODGE on a BUICK:

:hat:

·
Registered
343 Posts
karl s - Well I do hope to stir it up!

My point is that I admire Tekno for taking the time, trouble and expense to create separate wheel castings for specific models.

We collectors of 1/43 models have learned to admire Dinky, Corgi, Solido and Marklin from way back when. But all those brands had generic wheels.

Only Tekno made wheel castings unique to the brand of the car model on which they were attached.

So, whether they made a mistake in placing a Ford wheel or a Porsche (or whatever) or made a wheel that never appeared on a 1:1 scale version but identified the model, Tekno is still to be admired for the effort that their contemporary competitors either never seemed to have tried.

- ranchero -

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ranchero - thanks for your comments. I agree with you 100%. Not many people know a lot about them (well karl-e of course! and a few others here).

Use your favorite on-line translator and take a look at http://www.teknosamleren.dk/teknos-hjul.html - this Danish guy has studied every wheel (hjul) variation. I can google translate some of it - if anyone wants... Absolutely fascinating to us Tekno collectors! Boring for the rest of you? :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts