Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:hat:Happy New Year everybody! :hat:

Here's a catalog of my monthly Bench Reports.
Usually posting first of the month; sometimes the 15th and other rare occurrences.

First up:
The 2009 Tally
Only 10 kits this past year. I had averaged 30/yr the 2 yrs previous. But it was a matter of exponential quality improvements and skill learning this year that slowed me down. I was on track to finish 7 other builds. Now they will start my 2010 bench off strong with their completion in the first month!

Completed 2009:
: AMT 18" 1701: Republic
: AMT 18" 1701: Aristarchus
: AMT 18" 1701: Pompeii
: AMT 18" 1701: Defiant
: Captain Cardboard Botany Bay Kit: "The Whitefish Bay"
: MPC Vader's X-1 -Lit
: AMT Galileo and Flight Deck Diorama -Lit
: AJA Models' Chinese Satellite, 2001:ASO
: Revell's Snap AT-AT
: Revell's SnapTite XMas-Wing XMas present

January 2010:
Time for the airbrush. I've spent the last 5 months and random time on each before that bringing these to completion. Of seven models, six are lit. The seventh was unlit in the film, so this one is not either.

: AW Studios 1/350 Romulan Bird of Prey -Lit
: Captain Cardboard 1/12 EVA Pod -Lit
: Captain Cardboard 1/33 EVAPod/AMK Kit -Lit
: Mad Dog Resin's US Satellite, 2001:ASO
: MonkeyWerx 1/24 A-Wing -Lit
: MPC Star Destroyer -Lit
: Revell Cylon Raider -Lit

On Deck:
A pile of Star Wars. Including:
: 2 MPC Astromechs 1/8? -Lit
: 1 MPC Protocol Droid 1/8? -Lit
: 1 ERTL Speeder Bike 1/12
: 1 MPC/ERTL X-Wing 1/48 -Lit
: 1 ERTL Cut Away Falcon 1/72 -Lit
: 2 ERTL TIE Fighters ~1/51 -Lit
: 4 MPC/ERTL Snowspeeders 1/35 (-Lit,1 or 2)
: 2 MensaBoy Studio Scale TIE's 1/24 -Lit
: Stand By.

Stand By.

EDIT:

Attachments

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
February 1

Thanks guys.

This posting is a couple days early, but I wanted this vid to have the honor of being my 500th YT upload.

:hat: Btw, I just uploaded my 500th vid!:hat:

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a mid-February round up of what's going on:
-A pile of new tools.
-3 models in an imminent state of completion
-Some J2 notes related to the new tools, including the full set of paint at long last.

And a hello to my 434+ subscribers, the 551st video and 163,000 views!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
:wave: Question.................:wave:
How & when do you find the time to do all of these wonderful builds?
Having a full time job plus running errands for my wife plus a son dern near eats up my 24 hours a day.:freak:
-Jim

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:wave: Question.................:wave:
How & when do you find the time to do all of these wonderful builds?
Having a full time job plus running errands for my wife plus a son dern near eats up my 24 hours a day.:freak:
-Jim
My time being my own is the only advantage I see to bachelorhood. While there could be a few 1/4-to-1/2 scale ModelMans' running around, I haven't been involved in any paternity suits, so am relatively sure I am clear on that front. :woohoo:

Being a freelance artist means feast and famine for work; so while I worked only two days in January, the next few weeks are gonna be 60+hrs each. Thus, when working, I have money but no time; and when not working, I have no money but plenty of time. So I double down on the model budget and keep myself busy. My only true devotion is to my 16r old cat who gets all my attention while she is around, her brother having died 3 yrs ago next month.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Let me know when you can build a 1/24 Galileo for me then.?.?;)
-Jim

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know when you can build a 1/24 Galileo for me then.?.?;)
-Jim
Sounds like the Cooper... :)

Send me two. I will build both straight thru and send you the better one, keeping the second as payment. They will start the moment I finish the Jupe 2 series now in progress. :wave:

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
March 2010

February saw three models finished off!
1/12 CC EVAPod
1/24 MonkeyWorks A-Wing
MPC Star Destroyer

Still lingering are the RomBoP, Cylon and US Satellite. The incoming AJAM German Satellite is a dirt simple process, so Imay knock that off in my downtime.

Otherwise, from here on out all primary focus is on the J2 until it is done!

I gotta thank everyone for their tips and techniques and help along the way!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That's pretty darned awesome, MM!! :thumbsup:

I'm feeling far more productive than I was this time of year last year, but I still haven't gotten very far on my ongoing projects! Working on them, though...! :freak:

Got that Tug saucer top pulled off the lower saucer, BTW. Frightening as to how easy it was to do. I'll have to work with that printout of the scale FJ ships (almost assembled, need more tape!) a bit more to get those last elements in place so they don't get lost.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
April already? It's the J2 all the way.

Finished for March: PL 1/1000 Refit

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Thus, when working, I have money but no time; and when not working, I have no money but plenty of time. My only true devotion is to my 16r old cat who gets all my attention while she is around, her brother having died 3 yrs ago next month.
Same: My only devotion is to my 16-yr old cat too, who also gets all my attention and who is still healthy, his sister having died nearly four years ago, June 2006. Difference: I don't make as many models as you do though!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I had a mad dash in front of me to finish Spock in the next 9hrs to keep my one model /month average going. But I see that I have 4 done this year, so Spock can relax and slip into May.

And here is the May 1st update. Covers a few things;
-Spock and the airbrush;
-J2 has a quick look over (having upped a comprehensive 30 mins of video for that yesterday);
-my other building project -tripling my raid5 system;
-a youtube first for me -more subscribers than videos;
-and a quick look at the new greenscreen setup that will move forward over the coming months.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hit a modeling slump over the last two weeks. Mostly it was induced by the huge mess the bench had become. I picked up a snap-tite D-7 and thought that could be a good diversion. The German satellite will get some preliminary body work, the c57d gets a few seam tests, but it's the J2 that will crush me over the coming weeks.

"How I spent Wonderfest Weekend."

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By not finishing Spock in May, I missed the model/month ratio. I'll have to double up this month.

It's gonna be mostly airbrushing the Jupiter 2 this month. A major milestone, the kit is easily half done now and things should come together fast all around.

On-Deck kits include, 1k D-7, Spock, US & DE Sats, 350RBoP & cylon raider all of which can get some airbrushing as I work on the Jupiter.

In Channel news, the 1,000 subscriber mark will be passed this month and my videos viewed one quarter of a million times in 1.5yrs. I wouldn't have believed it.

Check my "Mostly hobby channels. Mostly." links for a list of hobby related youtube channels.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am kind of glad to say that not once this month did I pick up a bottle of glue, smear a smudge of putty, shave a seam or do anything other than cast the merest glance at my bench. I needed a break. I took a cross country trip during which I did not log into the net once and saw a lot of folks I hadn't seen in years.

That being said, I am looking to get back to the Jupiter so I can kick it off my bench and work on several other builds.

Most insane of all is that my videos have now been viewed more than a quarter million times in 1.5yrs. And while my 1000th youtube subscriber signed up on June 1, July 1 will see more than 250 new subs on top of that! Staggering.

Most of all, thanks to all you guys here at my homebase of hobbytalk for the comments, mail and regards!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Crap where do I begin? Tonto,Spock.The Nutty Professor,Moebius Mummy,Giant Insect to be made into a JLA diorama,3 KISS kits,Moebius Iron Man,Custom Hawk Man,Custom Brainiac (Mexican Horror version),Original sculpt of the creature from Horror Express,Schlitzie.
Now you know why I`m not bitchin about Sinbad. lol

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been drilling button holes on the J2. A quick look at how the green screen studio is holding up. A nod of thanks to everyone concerning my 16yr old cat, Morgana, who recently suffered a back injury. We are taking that day by day at this point. The endgame is nigh, though. :cry:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I have completed a Revell Superman, Moebius Invisible Man, Polar Lights Witch, MIM box art Phantom of the Opera, MIM box art Dracula, Aurora Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Moebius Frankenstein so far. At the moment I have a Silly Surfer, Polar Lights Batmobile, and Moebius Jupiter 2 on the bench. I also have an Aurora Frankenstein and Invisible Man resin conversion of the Moebius Dr. Jekyll in various states of execution. So I'm close to a one a month and hope to put in more time in the upcoming months.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts