Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
R/CAR the Radio Controlled Auto Racing association
present
The Big Rug
at Marion County Fairgounds Raceway's in Indy

Website...
http://rcarassociation.org/index.html

Address...
7300 E Troy Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46239-1267(In the Big 4H Building)

Contact Numbers
Floyd Selzer
(President/RCAR Owner) (317) 850-RCAR (7227)
Kevin Cole
(Facility Manager/Track Operations) (765) 624-9768

Pennington's RC Hobby Shop (on site)
Bill Pennington
(Hobby Shop/RCAR Owner) (317) 402-1061

Our facility is a huge building offering carpet oval & on-road racing.It houses Pennington's RC Hobby Shop and a full service cafeteria.It is fully heated and has nice a dining area and restrooms.We use AMB scoring and have the new CRC ozite carpet.
R/CAR is a faith based organization that offers a family friendly envirement for quality RC racers/hobbyist and their families.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The New indoor(Track) schedule...
Tue. 1pm-11pm (Oval Racing at 6pm)
Wed. 3pm-9pm (Oval...Practice/Racing)
Thu. 3pm-9pm (On road Practice)
Fri. 1pm-11pm (On Road Racing at 7pm)
Sat. 9am-7pm (Oval Racing at 1pm)
Sun. 9am-7pm (On-Road Racing at 1pm)

The Raceway will be closed on Mondays.

Pennington's Hobby may be open or available on Monday when the raceway is closed...call ahead to check.If Bill is not there...I'm sure he'll work out a way to get you the part you need.The raceway will not be used on these days if you stop in and pick up parts.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On Road Classes...our carpet covers an area over 96' by 40' so this track will be huge.

Vintage Trans Am
Rules: www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
Min.Ride Height...5mm

12th Scale
Battery:1cell Lipo or 4cell NimH
Motor:17.5 brushless(13.5 open class also available)
Body:Any 12th scale on road body
ESC:Any non programmable/Tekin V200max(13.5 open can use any ESC)

Min.Ride Height...3mm

Rubber Tire Touring Car
Battery:5200max 2cell Lipo or 4600max 6cell NimH
Motor:Any 17.5 or 13.5 brushless
Body:Any 10th scale body
ESC:Any speed control(Open)
Tires:Rubber

Min.Ride Height...4mm

Tamiya Mini-Cooper
Rules: www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/rules.php#mini
*We will allow any Tamiya mini body...tires will follow the TCS rules package.
Ride Height...4mm

Open chassis F1/IndyCar
Allows Tamiya(old & new),3racing,HPI,RCIndyCars or Kyosho chassis
Tires:Open(rubber or foam)
Motor:Tamiya Silver can/closed endbell
Battery:5200max 2cell Lipo / 4600max 6cell NimH

Min.Ride Height...3mm

HPI Formula10
Battery:Team Orion Spec 2400 2cell Lipo
Motor:Any 21.5 brushless
Speed Control:Open(possible turbo restrictions on the RS/Pro)
Front wheel bearings allowed...
other upgrades will be evaluated as we test the car
and decided upon as a group.

Min.Ride Height...3mm

RCGT
-Any 1/10th scale 4WD Touring Car chassis.
-Any "realistic/scale" Touring Car/GT body.
-Bodies should represent models that are running or had been run in the Touring Car, GT2, GT1 classes in ALMS, LeMans, Speed Challenge etc.
-Any 26mm spoked wheels (no dish wheels)
Allowable X-Pattern tire choices are:
-HPI #4790 X-Pattern Radial Tire 26mm D-Compound (base spec tire)
-HPI #4490 X-Pattern Radial Tire Pro Compound 26mm (stickier compound for improved traction)
-HPI #4495 X-Pattern Radial Belted Tire Pro Compound 26mm (sticky and belted tire, allows for more speed)
-Kit Lexan wing (flat realistic wing if included) or Plastic realistic wing set(s) only (keeping in mind the spirit of realism of the class)
-27T/17.5 Motor Limit.
-6 cell NiMH or 2 cell LiPo 7.2/7.4v battery limit.

Min.Ride Height...5mm

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please Pm me with any idea's or suggestions...we're still about a month away from our grand opening.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hey does anyone have the HPI F1 car because I can meet them at Slots on Thursday since it is open on-raod practice we could test the HPI and F103 together to come up with somthing so that we could run them together at the Big Rug. Kind of get an idea of how they stack up with each other. I ask becuse I would like larger classes to run with and also it would be like the old days of Indy when different manufactures ran together instead of one car. I would imagine if you can change the gearing on the HPI like the F103 they would run pretty close with the 540J motor. Dollar Bill, Here is the part number for the gear ring on the F103 that let you run nearly any spur gear so you don't have to use the Tamiya metric spurs and pinions it's "3 Racing F103RM-11" I got it from RCMart but heres the web page www.3racing.com.hh It's a cheap part that lets you use the gears you may already have instead of buying new ones tha only fit the F103, just a thought but I use it and love it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Just another suggestion I would open the tires up to being able to run "ZEN tires and body parts in case of shortages/backorders and if Bill can't get the Tamiya stuff. The Tamiya tires are a little pricy for the good ones mounted and the Zens are half that price and offer more compuonds but for me I like the 15th Aniversary kit foams and i will stick with them no matter what the cost they are just like sticking a pin under the car and running on a slot track.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Wow 13.5 foam tire, I just sold my XRAY last night because nobody was running 13.5 anymore, oh well maybe I get another one someday. Has anyone had any interest in the on-road pan car like the CRC 1/10 pan car? I just asked because I like the on-road better than oval. Check out this site www.rcindycars.com of coarse they would be an open class but aren't they cool.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Jeremiah-I would be open to the idea of tire options for the F103 and making some rule changes within that class.But the HPI car will stay a Spec class so we will have one available for on road with that in mind.I have several guys buying them and they want to keep it affordable in these tough times.The HPI uses a slick rubber tire...and tire option usually ruins a spec class...particularly from a cost stand point.
As far as the 10th scale pan car...I'd rather not flood a Wed/Thur program with too many classes and have a lot of 3 car classes running.I would rather suggest if someone is looking for something new...buy one of the cars in a class outlined in the current class configuration.
I wish you had not sold your x-ray...I mentioned a few weeks ago I was going to get that monster rolling in a class for ya:thumbsup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree with kevin on spec rules but if the guys running the f103 want to run the slick rubber tire thats on the hpi and run them on the F103 with same motor,that could be an option too.there is a f109 rm or something coming out anyday and its only $189. with silver can 540

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The HPI is a $100 car...if someone is interested in a open wheel class on a budget...they should buy one.If they want to faster and dont mind spending more...the F103 is there for the taking.

The spec HPI car/class is a perfect intermediate project for the 4H programs we will utilize to help keep the building and make our hobby strong through youth programs.
R/Car has there eye on more than letting us big boys race...we're working on programs that will educate kids to help with life choices beyond the racetrack or hobby.

Jeff Grahn became interested in racing through R/C...and cut his teeth on scale R/C cars.Now he is a successful Indycar Crew chief because of the early direction,dedication,and strong work ethic that started with running R/C cars.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Jeremiah-I would be open to the idea of tire options for the F103 and making some rule changes within that class.But the HPI car will stay a Spec class so we will have one available for on road with that in mind.I have several guys buying them and they want to keep it affordable in these tough times.The HPI uses a slick rubber tire...and tire optiond usually ruin a spec class...particularly from a cost stand point.
]

Oh, I thought the car was comparable to the F103, meaning that it could run foams and such. I may look into one of those if the class is going to be bigger. I was suggesting that to use the Zen tires because occasionally the Tamiya tires are backordered or out of stock. The Tamiya's are better though. IF I could find a way to run whatever tires the HPI runs could we run the two together? I just want to run with a 8 to 12 car grid so that you would have to drive and the fastest car doesn't mean it will always win. I think you know what I am saying, I want to race and not walk away or get walked away from on the track.

Yeah I'm sorry about getting rid of it too. Maybe Lyons will sell it back:cry:

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes...if we find they are a close match and can make the spec rules work with the F103 we'll do just that.I hope to have mine by weeks end...then we can take a look at both together.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well that what i meant in my post HPI car is $119.00/$129.00 and the F103 car that isnt our yet runs about $189,so thats what i was suggesting,that if the F103 car could run the same tires as the HPI car and of course run the same battery and motor.But if Not iam all for having a Spec HPI open wheel class By itself,kinda like a legend class for open wheel. iam game for anything on this.
by the way there isanother F1 car out there through 3racing.com and this F1 kit is only $99.00 and its a nice looking car.
maybe something to think about is have a limit on price of the F1 kit,and then everyone run the same tires adn motor and battery.
Just a suggestion Guys.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes...if we find they are a close match and can make the spec rules work with the F103 we'll do just that.I hope to have mine by weeks end...then we can take a look at both together.
Well then if you have it by Friday bring it to Slots and we can race them in actual conditions for the comparison. I hope to be racing mine since my Xray and 1/12th are gone and it's the only carpet car I have now. I can't wait to race on some good carpet again, I am anxiously waiting for the new rug.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to be at our outdoor track for practice Friday.

Once I get it I'll will look over the chassis,geometry,and construction compared to the F103 first.I have access to a couple F103's...and testing will happen.But first time out it will not be during a race program...and not at Slots.

We just need to have a little patience...soon there will be a huge venue to run and it will be managed differently than what the area is used too_Once the rules are in place...they will stay that way until next season.No weekly changes just to please one guy or another.That's why I'm asking for opinions now(all Classes)...because when we start racing...the rules are set.

With the Formula10 being new...it will be a slow process to determine whether it has it's own class(like it very well could)or if we allow other makes into the mix.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Cool, I'm out of patience though. I am sick of Slots myself but for now it's all I got for carpet racing right now. I am very eager to race at the Big Rug. Give me a PM when your going to test the f103 and the HPI I would like to see them together too. I haven't been this excited about R/C since the old road course at Stout Field 20 yrs ago on Friday nights. Back then we raced stock gearbox RC10's with Nascar bodies on them with a "Pretty Little Sissy Wimpy" motor. Crap now I feel old too.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trust me...this will be well worth the wait & the rest of the nation will be envious of what we have here in Indy.We already have dropped close to 4g's on carpet and the track side cafe/diner will be like no other track has or have seen.

Everyone needs to set their reservations aside about the "this track did this" or "that track does" whatever...and realize this place is good for the hobby/community period.
There's plenty of desire & racers in this area for more than one venue to run good programs and I certainly kept that in mind when coming up with our schedule.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what we run here in Indy at the Velodrome.The car cost will be much higher and could be considered as a top end class.You pretty much by the chassis kit and add your pan car goodies to them.There's already 4-6 guys in the area that have them.
Bob Cordell has one...maybe he will be interested if the class gets going.They are usually used for oval rather than on road.

By the way...thanks Floyd.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Cool, I'm out of patience though. I am sick of Slots myself but for now it's all I got for carpet racing right now. I am very eager to race at the Big Rug. Give me a PM when your going to test the f103 and the HPI I would like to see them together too. I haven't been this excited about R/C since the old road course at Stout Field 20 yrs ago on Friday nights. Back then we raced stock gearbox RC10's with Nascar bodies on them with a "Pretty Little Sissy Wimpy" motor. Crap now I feel old too.
Wow I remember those days. My first stock car body was a Thunderbird on a gold tub RC10 at Stout Field.

1 - 20 of 2499 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.