Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a package from Dennis of Dencomm on Saturday containing the latest set of test shots for the Animal Pit! He asked that I assemble and assess them from an engineering perspective. My first impression is wow, I'm actually holding styrene parts from an Aurora Mold that was completed in 1971 but never went into production! Needless to say I can't wait to get going on these.

Back when my dad worked at Aurora I dreamed of someday working there, too. Unfortunately, Aurora went out of business several years before I entered the job market, so I thought it was just not meant to be. Well, with these parts in hand, it’s as if Aurora is still in business and I am on staff in their R&D department! It is truly a dream come true.

If there is any interest I would be happy to post photos of my progress as I go.

Tory

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
That will be one to add to my stash when they release it. I never knew about the original back in the day but I have all the others and this one is very cool.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! It's about time we see some results!

Heck YAH!!! we wanna see some WIP's Tory!!! :thumbsup:

Is there any clear parts?
No clear parts Steve, apparently the clear mold which we've discovered also housed the original Giant Insect wings and eyes was destroyed. I'm going to see if there is another way to create the large clear windows since that was all there was as far as clear parts, probably why it was in a family mold in the first place.

Seems there is interest in some WIP photos so I will post them as I progress!

Thanks guys.

Tory

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
No clear parts Steve, apparently the clear mold which we've discovered also housed the original Giant Insect wings and eyes was destroyed. I'm going to see if there is another way to create the large clear windows since that was all there was as far as clear parts, probably why it was in a family mold in the first place.

Seems there is interest in some WIP photos so I will post them as I progress!

Thanks guys.

Tory
It would have also housed the clear lantern part for the dungeon, correct? Will a new mold be cut?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am hoping that the solution is not just a clear sheet of acetate.

I have that on my resin version right now and it does not work very well.
Will be so nice to get a kit of this that doesn't weigh 10 pounds!

Any news on the Dungeon companion kit for this? It would be a simpler
kit to release first...no?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am hoping that the solution is not just a clear sheet of acetate.

I have that on my resin version right now and it does not work very well.
Will be so nice to get a kit of this that doesn't weigh 10 pounds!

Any news on the Dungeon companion kit for this? It would be a simpler
kit to release first...no?
Actually acetate is one of the possibilities being considered although how successful it is will depend on the thickness of the material used. Not sure what gauge the acetate was that was included in the resin kit. Like I said I have to run some tests so we'll see.

The Dungeon was run as well but in polypropylene so the shots are unusable for assembly testing, although they did prove the mold will run. I am hoping to receive Dungeon test shots in styrene in the next week or two.

Tory

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.