Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, I don't normally do car kits unless it's something offbeat, like Eye Gone Wild (soon to be built!) or the Revellogram Tom Daniel stuff. I picked up "Bad Medicine" yesterday, and I was wondering if I could get away without using a silver undercoat under the metallic purple I want to use for the body since the plastic is already almost the color I plan to use.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm a BIG collector of Tom Daniel kits James, and the Bad Medicine is one of my favourites. I have a couple stashed away.
When I painted mine I used auto acrylic lacquer. After straightening the body panels I primed with Duplicolor primer and blocked it back with 800W&D.
Unless you're using a genuine candy paint I can't see why you'd need a silver basecoat....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Kinda depends on what the paint base is that you're planning to use as an overcoat. Might want to shoot the body with Future as a barrier coat.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You dont really need silver under METALLICS as metallic paints are opaque. You use silver (or gold) under clear CANDY colors to give a metallic look. Whole different ball game.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
That isnt a candy color so you dont need silver or white. Opaque (solid) colors give the most true match if applied over white. Or you can use a primer/base coat to make them darker, etc. For example if you spray Flat Red over white, you get Red. But if you spray Flat Red over black, you get a brownish color.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet! So no silver needed! Thanks for the info, guys, much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts