Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another junker attempt. '50 Olds

Another contest car for Swiftys. I dont know what I was thinking when I dipped it in acrylic. A shiney rust bucket!?! Oops.
The wing window broke on this side so I added the small frames to show it "was" there.
Shotgun blast through back glass. Detailed the tailights, hard to see here.

Looks better in person. Mini dio was inspired by Ward.
The one I'm playing with now I think is coming out better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good work, I appreciate the fine details and the time spent on this project. Looking foward to the next one

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looks good bob. Like the weeds coming thru the tires. If thats Future acrylic it can be removed. I'm not to sure on the pocess though.

Here's a tip, scuff up the orphan tires with some 220 sandpaper and at the same time you can add a baldspot or two as well.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think it looks great.

Future will wash off w/ soap but I wouldn't trip on it. I like it just the way it is.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wow!!!!!

Bob, I can't tell you how much I LOVE this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe how GREAT this came out...your talents have grown immensely since you started and I think aging vehicles is your strongest suit.
I've got a million questions:
What release wuzzit, blue 40th Ann.?
What colors did you paint the different layers?
Usually those Olds are WAY too high, did you lower it?
How'd you get the silver trim to look so straight, you sanded the areas down to bare metal?
Didja do and axle swap?

I can almost smell the old vinegar-ized gas! The drilled out headlights are a great touch.
Can we see pix of the other side?
A+++ :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments. I really enjoy the junkers! I have always looked up to Johns work (stupidsquirrels) and I have been trying to copy what he is doing. Sorry John, but I love what you do! :thumbsup:
Other side...

Its the 40th anniversry #88 Olds. I removed the tampos, roughed it up with Scotchbrite. Shot it with red primer, then tried to give it the same two tone blue and white paint job. Then sanded the paint off. I sanded the chrome pieces to bare metal, but being new at it I went too far. Its a learning experience. Trying something new with the Hudson in the back. Its the brown one I put in the on the bench thread. Yellow now and adding rust from the top of the paint. Textured even. My first try at this also... but I'm lovin learnin!
Greyhouse... GREAT tip on the tires! They do need to be worn out with bald spots. I will definately be working on that... the ones on the cars too!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
WOW! I just like my name being even mentioned with work like this!!! Looks super, and the base is a knockout!. I want to see a missing tire, or maybe flat tires on the next one, those tires are amazing to still be all aired up!!

Wonderful Dio Bob!!!!

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Darn that came out great!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:Rust is my friend also, but I have yet to try it on a 1:64 scale. I seem to do better with my 1:1 project!! :lol:

I second the flat tire thought too... Hard to believe a rust bucket like that with 4 good full of air tires. You die cast guys do amazing work!! There's always something inspirational cooking up here! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I really enjoy the junkers! I have always looked up to Johns work (stupidsquirrels) and I have been trying to copy what he is doing. Sorry John, but I love what you do! :thumbsup:
Other side...

Its the 40th anniversry #88 Olds. I removed the tampos, roughed it up with Scotchbrite. Shot it with red primer, then tried to give it the same two tone blue and white paint job. Then sanded the paint off. I sanded the chrome pieces to bare metal, but being new at it I went too far. Its a learning experience. Trying something new with the Hudson in the back. Its the brown one I put in the on the bench thread. Yellow now and adding rust from the top of the paint. Textured even. My first try at this also... but I'm lovin learnin!
Greyhouse... GREAT tip on the tires! They do need to be worn out with bald spots. I will definately be working on that... the ones on the cars too!
Copycat:tongue:
Love it Bob, just love it.
I love the blown out window, nice touch and tough to pull it off right (0I know, I've screwed up a couple trying for the same effect).
The display is sweet.
:thumbsup:

Also, thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Bob! I've looked at this thread a couple of times and I really like this car. I forgot to tell you though. :drunk: Well I'm telling you now. I really like this car. You did a heck of a job on it. The diorama looks great too. Excellent!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
bob
heres a trick for ya. put dabs of glue on the seats and add tissiue paper or tp and let dry. use twezzers and pull small amounts off and you have ripped seats. this can be used on door pannels and head liners.
:wave:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I give that a try Lee. But I sort of messed it up. I tried shooting headliner adhesive over the whole thing and add dust to it. I lost a lot of detail doing so.

I'll try it again since it has dried. Just not so pronounced. Again, looks better in person. Hate this camera! Engine is more orange then in photo. Needs more orange and black and chrome details. Will finsh that today. And re glue the drivers side door carpet. Also need to repaint window cranks and arm rests. Its my first detailed interior so its a learning experience.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i use model glue- super glue- or elmers. i use a tooth pick to lay it down . this way you can get the glue in the cracks - make diagonal cuts. ectra- it dosen't take alot of glue. ive used cotton balls also. just cut clumps out of it and set it in the glue. when dry use twezzers to pull out what is not needed and trim to size with sicssors.
you can pratice this on card board so you dont screw up the interrior. also it may take 2 layers to get the look you want. i just got my photo site back up. so now i can do how too's again. ill try doing one on this if nothing comes up this week.:wave:

·
Banned
200 Posts
Great job, Bob, and kudos to you for paying homage in trying to emulate the "master". John, you inspire so many more people than you realize.

I would love to see someone take PIPS's to the next level with missing chrome parts and a missing hood, trunklid, or fender. Not just cars that have sat and been neglected, but real "Junkyard Dogs"! Maybe sand a chrome "spear" off and drill little holes where it ued to clip into the body; a missing tailight, grill, bumper.......

You guys are all awesome customizers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts