Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some older Novak, Futaba, and Tekin gear from (more than) a few years back. I know about all the new synthesized radios, 2.4G radios, ESCs, and all, but how would some of my older gear work? I have an older Futaba Magnum (AM - 27Mhz) radio, a Novak Racer One-Touch ESC, and two Tekin BC100L Linear chargers. With some work, y'all think this stuff could/would hang with the newer stuff? I know I'd need to rewire the ESC (the current output wiring is about done-for), and I'd definitely need some new 4-cells.

Just looking for opinions...thanks.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The chargers may not work well with the newer batteries, but there is probably a way they could be used. As long as the transmitter has steering exponential and endpoint adjustments it should be fine for oval. Older speed controls can work too, but they can lose performance over time. Depending on what class you are running, there isn't always a need to have the latest or greatest. Tuning the chassis will get you more laps than worrying about the electronics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm just looking at going 4-cell stock racing, nothing really fancy or anything. I'm running the gear in my BoLink Legends car now, but wanna get back into the pan cars.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Your Tekin chargers could be used but you would have to be real careful not to overheat newer batteries. I would be worried about that more than the rest of your older gear.
Your radio will work, but I don't think it will have some of the features that can make a fast pan-car easier to drive.
If you find yourself looking for a new charger check out the Duratrax ICE. It is a great charger that will take care of anything out there now. You can sometimes get them for under $100 used on ebay or even in the swap section here on HobbyTalk.

Of course, if the batteries you have right now are old to then run your Tekin's!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I still to this day use my 20 year old futaba square bottom radio and it works perfect. I use it only on dirt oval, for my carpet car I use a JR.
But as was said, the faster you go the more precise you need to be a better radio would be in order.

G

·
The 100L which was made for 1700SCE and regular Nicads can work with NIMH provided you monitor the packs either with a DVM or temperature sensor and always use the linear setting. Also you will need the voltage dropping resistor that was supplied with charger for charging 4cell packs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts