Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of older JL stuff, was wondering if any of it was putting on eBay or trying to sell. Mainly a bunch of Muscle Cars USA series 1 through 11, and series 2 and 3 Dragsters, and Wacky Winners are all I've come across so far, but I'll probably uncover more. Probably have 100+ JLs total, all still in original blister packaging with the card in pretty good shape on most of them. Is it worth my time to try and sell them?

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
If any of them are White Lightnings, it may be worth selling them if you originally bought them at retail. If you paid secondary prices, you'll be hard-pressed to recover what you originally paid I imagine. You'd probably only get about .25 to .50 on the dollar for the regulars, if that. I would try selling them on this site first if you really want to sell them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're pretty old, I'm pretty sure they didn't have white lightnings when these came out. Some are over 10 years old. They were all bought for retail, whatever that was... 1.49 or something. I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
916 Posts
They're pretty old, I'm pretty sure they didn't have white lightnings when these came out. Some are over 10 years old. They were all bought for retail, whatever that was... 1.49 or something. I'll give it a shot.
There have always been White Lightnings with the Playing Mantis line, only they were called A-Bonus in the first year when they only came out with 8 commemorative cars.

The Wacky Winners have always been my favorite of the PM line, along with the quarterly holiday series cars they used to come out with. The cars don't demand much cash (maybe $1-4), but could be trade bait for someone looking to finish off a collection.

The best PM cars IMO were produced in 96'-97' when the blisters had great artwork and the cars were new and not re-used over and over. That all changed around 1999/2000. I've noticed these Holiday series cars are starting to creep up in price, selling from $6 to as much as $15 each.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I say go for it. I would probably try to sell them all together on Ebay first. You never know when a collector is going to come across and buy them all to start their sets. If you paid $1.49 for them and have about 100, list at $150 to start with no reserve. At that point, you get one bid, you covered your cost. But the sky is the limit. I have seen some crazy things happen on Ebay auctions. I use to sell used car parts on ebay a few years ago and just an old emblem from a car that i thouhgt i might get $20 for fetched about $300. I asked the guy (after the deal was completed of course) and he said he would have paid up to $500 for it as it was in almost perfect shape and he was trying to restore his car only using new old stock. So you never know. Good luck either way.

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
There have always been White Lightnings with the Playing Mantis line, only they were called A-Bonus in the first year when they only came out with 8 commemorative cars.
Not true! There were no white lightnings in the first 11 releases of Muscle Cars USA and no A-Bonus either. And the only variation I know of was the blue Mustang with side marker lenses.

The exception is the KB Toys exclusives. They had white lightnings.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I am also thinking of selling off some of my collection . I lost my job a few weeks ago & have way too much stuff if I have to move . ( I wouldnt mind moving to the southwest USA where its warm! )
I sold off my Dragsters USA a few years ago & had to practically give them away . I fear that will be the case with what I have now .
I also have most of the Muscle Cars from set 1 to current . I may sell the early ones first as I never opened them . Most of the current releases I have opened .. I also have a ton of 1/18 , 1/43 & 1/25 cars ...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I am also thinking of selling off some of my collection . I lost my job a few weeks ago & have way too much stuff if I have to move . ( I wouldnt mind moving to the southwest USA where its warm! )
I sold off my Dragsters USA a few years ago & had to practically give them away . I fear that will be the case with what I have now .
I also have most of the Muscle Cars from set 1 to current . I may sell the early ones first as I never opened them . Most of the current releases I have opened .. I also have a ton of 1/18 , 1/43 & 1/25 cars ...
I know how you feel. I am on the edge of starting to put some holy grail items up myself. But as soon as I do I will find a job and then replacing those things will cost $$$. I didn't get them to make a profit, I just enjoy looking at the cars. But if I need to put groceries on the table, then so be it. Good luck in your search!!! Wish I could go with you.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I can understand that this economy is going to cause people to make some desperate decisions. I don't blame anyone who has decided to thin their collections to make ends meet. I'd hate to get rid of my older JLs. I don't have many, but I cherish them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not true! There were no white lightnings in the first 11 releases of Muscle Cars USA and no A-Bonus either. And the only variation I know of was the blue Mustang with side marker lenses.

The exception is the KB Toys exclusives. They had white lightnings.
I was referring to the fact that PM had been doing the bonus car since the company began reproducing JL's. I do not know what they did in every series release and I really didn't pay much attention to WL's at the time.
A-Bonus was only done the first year of PM and only with the first 8 comemorative series. Topper's were my main focus of collecting.
I still have a few cases of old PM series cars I purchased more then 10 years ago and never opened as well as a case of Thunderjets. I really liked those things, those slot cars are cool. I still see them being sold at hobby shops.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts

Sorry to hear of the job loss - hang in there.

I am thinning some stuff out myself, displaying more and storing less. Probably a good thing to do once in a while anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts