Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been tackling this on and off for months and months but can't seem to get into a groove.

I've got most of the seams and canyons filled and smoothed. That is, the ones I can reach. More on that later.

Here she is:

Overall underside showing off my puttywork on the nacelle.

Closer:

Blurry image of the neck area which is driving me nuts, N-V-T-S, nuts! Can't seem to get into some of those tight, tiny spaces. It's giving me a headache as evidenced by the Treximet beyond.

Oh, and the oval area lightly highlighted, I can't seem to get in there even with one of them micro files. I mean, I can...it's just very awkward and I feel I'm gonna destroy something.

Anyway, the real reason behind the thread is to ask about the amount of putty around the nacelles. Too much/too little? Should I round or square off? Does it look okay as-is?

Something else I wanted to mention: I found that I inadvertently got some aves on the clear nacelle grilles. It dried and I was able to flake it away with my exacto without any damage to the plastic. It just came right off like a scab.

·
Starship Class
12,071 Posts
They look good to me.

Why are you reshaping them? Are you making them more accurate?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no correcting for accuracy or anything. Just filling the cavernous voids left over from the assembly process. Didn't want it too look too square so I made it look like it was running along the contour of the hull.

·
Starship Class
12,071 Posts
no correcting for accuracy or anything. Just filling the cavernous voids left over from the assembly process. Didn't want it too look too square so I made it look like it was running along the contour of the hull.
That's cool! It does look better.

Have you ever tried Magic Sculpt? It's a two-part epoxy that sticks to surfaces very well and can be sculpted with fingers, tools, paint brush (I use rubbing alcohol but water works, too).

If it were I attempting to get at that one place with the rough epoxy, I'd curl up some sandpaper so that it has a stiff edge and then do the old in-out-in-out on the inside of the groove.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried that yet. I am running a little low on the Aves. I've got about a year's left. :lol: If I run out before the Winter Solstice, 2012 rolls around, I'll pick some up.

·
Starship Class
12,071 Posts
I haven't tried that yet. I am running a little low on the Aves. I've got about a year's left. :lol: If I run out before the Winter Solstice, 2012 rolls around, I'll pick some up.
I know what you mean! 5 pounds of Magic Sculpt lasts a while as well.

One thing I like about Magic Sculpt is that it now comes in different basic colors now:

http://www.sculpt.com/

Go to the online catalog and find Magic Sculpt and you'll see what I mean. I've got some black that allows me to put it on surfaces that might be subject to some wear and tear rather than having to repaint quite as often.

·
Registered
319 Posts
For what it's worth, I have always considered whether the putty is harder than the plastic or resin the kit is made from. When you sand an overly hard putty, you remove more of the kit than the fill unless these two are balanced. Usually, you only want to sand off putty.

To achieve extremely good joint fills, I might use a tough epoxy putty like Aves to partially fill the joint, then let it harden. I follow this with a soft putty to finish the fill, such as Carpenter's Wood Filler. Small applications dry in about 15 minutes and you can go through the putty-sand-prime-putty-sand-prime cycle several times in a couple of hours, speeding your work and getting a smooth fill.

Also, remember that all putties shrink; some more than others. Another reason for a soft putty "topcoat" that dries fast.

Lee

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your putty works looks better than mine.
I've been using squadron white and getting bad results. It just doesn't seem to cure hard enough to get smooth results. Don't know if its me, the putty being old or what.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I think 9 out of 10 modelers agree, squadron sucks.

As for the bondo then aves or vise versa, I filled with the cheapest stuff because of volume issues. "Which am I gonna use more of to fill the canyons", I asked myself. Oh, and the shrink issue is a problem. I've found when trying to get a seamless seam, I go with the aves. Smooth as glass. Bondo, not so much. And it's gonna shrink leaving evidence of the seam or leaving a dent where there once was a hole or cavern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts