Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been helping an old friend clean out his boyhood home's garage. We came across this stash of old models he built in the '70s.

It's a nice collection, but it's been exposed to the garage for 30+ years, his father always had a VW diesel, and would warm it up in the garage. You can see the dark, oily spots on the models. I'm assuming that that is diesel exhaust.

Other than that they are not in bad shape. I suspect the Klingon is the original Lighted version, it has wires on the bottom.

I'd like to clean them up a bit, and probably rebuild one of the hawks.
I saw Steve's thread on restoring the flying sub, and got a few tips.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Mark

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
If you want to strip the old and then re-paint the models, Easy-Off oven cleaner is probably your best bet, I have never had it harm the plastic.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy Off, got it. Thanks.

I think I'd like to preserve the period paint on most. I can get new decals.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is, I think he was surprised when I showed an interest in them.

I think I'll try Steve's freezer method to disassemble one of the hawks.

If I can get it apart I think I'll Vac u form the main parts so I can build one of my own!

Any other suggestions other than Easy off that might be more paint friendly?

I suppose I should try some type of soap and a tooth brush.

I'll also have to try and find some Main Mission decals for Alpha.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you want to clean those models and don't mind if the decals go away and you want to keep the paint job... try a good de-greasing dish soap and an old toothbrush. A dish soap like "Dawn"... or a cleaner like Simple Green.

NOTE: Pure undiluted Simple Green will strip paint, so use a thinned mixture.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll try that first and see what happens. The only decals Im worried about are the Main Mission ones. I don't think I've ever seen them after market

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
You could try a little 'Goo Gone'. I've found that to be a really good cleaner as well as it's stated job of 'sticker remover'. It may destroy decals but I think it'll not attack paint, esp. what I assume is enamel paint.

I would use a soft toothbrush and dip it in a cup of Goo Gone. Diluting may be wise.

It's a citrus based solvent, it feels REALLY greasy so make sure you rinse the model after. :)

ETA: I dunno, part of me has a desire to preserve those models as-is, because somehow, they look 'battle damaged'. :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've wrestled with just leaving them alone, but the dirt just looks like dirt up close.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
No matter what you use the paint will most likely come off.
I've used the original pime-sol to remove 10 year old paint. And if you go with simple green you'll be soaking them for atleast a month probably.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think I'll try that first and see what happens. The only decals Im worried about are the Main Mission ones. I don't think I've ever seen them after market
You can generally get after market companies to make custom decals. I'm pretty sure jt-graphics would probably do it. The best thing that I've used to clean up old models is Castrol Super Clean but it does take off the paint.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Soak them overnight in a sink full of warm, dish-soaped water like you're doing dishes and just like you'd prepare a resin model. Should get rid of the diesel oil without harming anything else. Great find, by the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts