Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i bought a car used and took the diff apart and im not familiar with what i have in front of me. im not sure if i am missing parts of if this is an old diff.

i have the following:
2 d ring diff washers
2 unflanged bearings
1 small step spacer
1 large step spacer
1 lock nut

**no cone washer**

if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it.

heres a pic of what i have....

·
Registered
868 Posts
ok i'm going to guess here, but most likely one of the stepped pieces goes between the bearings (larger probably) and then the other piece goes outside of the bearing, against the nut.

A lot of companies decided that they didnt need the spring action of the cone washers, and have gone to a simple aluminum spacer.

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
I don't know about anything between the bearings. My KSG uses the larger spacer type piece between the outer bearing and the diff. nut. (in place of the cone washer). I'm gonna say the shorter one sets in the spur gear to center it on the axle. ;)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Diff Rebuild

The spacer goes in the middle of the diff with one of the unflanged bearings on either side. One Ring on the axle flange, one ring on the diff hub, spur gear in the middle with diff balls in the inner most circle of holes. Use the step spacer with small side against the outside bearing face of the hub, then tighten with the nylon nut.

Normally you would use 2 flanged bearings in the diff hub. On closer look that diff hub doesn't look like it is machnied with a recess on the inside for the non flanged bearing to rest in. You'll need two flanged 1/4 x 3/8 bearings.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you run 2 nonflanged bearings in the hub with just a spacer between them the hub will fall off the car unless I am missing something.....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
twistedgeo,
Can you add a pic of the axle and the backside of the hub? If the axle is an IRS one I can tell you how to correctly build the diff. There are some parts in there that do not belong. :confused:

Diff Dude

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks man. found that out Tuesday night at racing.

what i was missing was one flanged bearing and the long tube wasn't needed, just the small one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bruce the cone washer is what they used on the crc diff. sounds like you may have my old car. I'll look to see if i have any spare parts for your razor. It is a razor 1 i take it. I'll see you saturday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts