Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone i have an old 1972 upright veritcal shaft 8 horse briggs engine on an old red snapper mower and i recently reassembled it and dont have any idea as to how the governor on these things work and how it should be connected to the carb and/or choke and in what positions

is there a way to learn how the governor works and how and when it acts upon the carb and what position the governor lever should be at a certain throttle plate assembly position ?

my throttle plate assembly piece slides vertically

the governer lever is mounted vertically as well and the top end of it moves towards and away from where the carb is mounted in relation to where the governer lever is at,

should the choke be connected to anything other than its own cable for manually operating it ?

the throttle slider plate assembly thing barely moves the throttle at all, only towards end of its travel,

if i could understand why there is a governor on these and what it is supposed to do to the carb(and when) then i could surely figure out how to connect these up

i could take pics of what i have but my carb is a(i am told its a later years one) walbro http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/fast68/?action=view&current=walbr.jpg LM or LMT series whatever they are, its identical to this one exactly

thanks for anything at all

randy
Lincoln IL

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hi there no i tried that but nothing is exactly like mine, mine is a later yars carb setup a previous owner put on it

it looks like all the governers do is pull back the throttle when the engine runs above a certain rpm

hmm

i picked up a 4.5hp old briggs walk behind vacuum the other day for junk
and it is unmolested all original and this is how it seems to operate, it runs great with gas put down the carb but the tank and carb area really badly gummed bad

dont think its fixable

any ideas ?

i hate to junk it, it runs really great

hum

the carbs are always junk though

i should take pics hum

thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
dont junk it, try to soak it in carb cleaner or stabil. that should get rid of most of gum, then ya could get a old toothbrush and can of carb cleaner and get ta work. tank gum,fill with carbclean/stabil leave there for a few days then dump outt and see how much gum u have left. if theres rust get some bolts or screws and shakeit, that usually take most of it off.

if u have any spare cash check ebay for some carbs, i saw alot! infact, what are the model numbers of the briggs 4.5hp?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts