Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I asked this question last year and still was not really able to piece together an answer. I have a 3 year old 16 HP B&S OHV model 286H77 on my Toro Zero-Turn mower that last year would stall out after maybe 15 minutes or so of summer-temperature lawn mowing. Seems as though when the engine temp gets higher it wants to quit. So I went out to the garage last week while still in the 50 degree temp range around here and gave her an oil/filter change, checked the plug (it's new), put fresh gas in it and fired it right up. I got up to operating temperature, then did a test run for a good 20-30 minutes under load (blades spinning and driving). It did cough occasionally but recovered and I am not sure but the power seems just a little less than I expected. The replies to all of my posts suggested I look at valves, etc. , but I'd rather not get that deep yet. My local repair guy said that for a machine with only around 200 hours that he does not think the problem is that in-depth. I have disassembled and cleaned carb, checked the gas cap for venting, changed the fuel filter, have fresh gas, I am running out of ideas and time. I'm looking for any simpler ideas on what to look for. And no disrespect to those that have replied with their input in the past. :confused:

·
Registered
750 Posts
150 on each cylinder? or one cylinder ? ive heard some other posts, the coil . they say over time the wrapping on the coil wears / melts off, when runnig moisture gets in there and stops the sparking. when you stop the coil cools off and moisture evaporates

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's just one cylinder on this one, and the I tested the coil both cold and hot and the spark is good and steady, coil looks good appearance wise also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the plug is new too...engine fins , etc. , all clean and grass-free, you know this thing will run pretty good during those 80+ degree days when I remove all the engine plastic including the air cleaner assembly and I cover the carb intake tube with a piece of cloth with a tie-wrap tightened around it to stay on. With all the plastic back on including air cleaner assembly, it seems to be getting too hot and starts to cough and die. Funny when you know that all that plastic is there to direct cooling air over the engine. This one's got me scratching my head.

·
Registered
73 Posts
seems to me thet b&s had issues with some cams in those engines. i think it has a plastic gear and they were assembled wrong. will research some old service bulletins and get back with you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jaybird62 said:
seems to me thet b&s had issues with some cams in those engines. i think it has a plastic gear and they were assembled wrong. will research some old service bulletins and get back with you
Hey that would be great. If you find anything, can you tell me how to determine if it includes my engine? And since I have your attention, my model # says 286h77 ,but I still am not too sure what to look at when trying to find stuff in my B&S repair book. There aren't too many references to anything close except maybe a 286h700. Is this the same ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just a quess here but have you checked the spark arrestor in the muffler. It may be blocked somewhat and not letting hot exhaust to exit fast enough.

·
Registered
750 Posts
true tommy, but then he might have heard it bogging down alot. but if its clogged probably it wont even start or idle correctly, but still, check it

·
Registered
649 Posts
Wow this topic is going all over lol I presonaly have had a simular problem with my 6hp briggs and stratton engine on my snapper. It was infact the coil so I would run your toro until it stalls and then take the plug out, leave it plugged in and ground it to something metal on the engine, then crank your engine and you should see a nice spark. If not you know to check the coil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish that was the problem....did that last season (its hard to do that now under hot engine conditions because its not hot enough weather-wise to really cause the problem). When I did that test last season the spark I got was orange/blue and like I said, it runs pretty good when I take all the shrouding off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts