Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

Registered
This came today:

It addresses the back very well, not at all the roof rails or the interior. Not a complaint at all!
This was $29 shipped to the US.

The parts look well made, I've built some of his kits before and they always build into a nice finished product but they are not for inexperience modelers.
Hopefully soon you'll be able to post a build up with the Conversation parts.馃憤
-Jim G.G.

Reactions: mach7

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Are you talking about the tube-shaped strut with the triangular web on one end? That's the rear landing gear strut. It was actually a surplus landing gear strut from a real aircraft. https://flic.kr/p/ehtzbC
No, I mean the left hand nacelle/engine tube. The kit has a overly large notch/step cut out. The set piece had a small
flip out step and the small filming model had nothing. I haven't really looked that closely. I'll do that tomorrow.

BTW, I was told the the rear gear was a nose gear from a F-102 or F-106.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Hopefully soon you'll be able to post a build up with the Conversation parts.馃憤
-Jim G.G.
I will. I'm torn between building this now or wait until the new kit comes out so I can do a comparison between them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
OK. I'm stumped. What is that short tube looking bit, the one between the sheet of nacelle supports and the landing pads and decal? (picture #2) I'm probably gonna have to do a big head slap to myself when you tell me. :)
Now I'm stumped! It doesn't really fit in the nacelle. It's almost the correct length but not the wedge the nacelle
notch is.

I emailed Larson Designs. Chris should be able to tell me.

Registered
Now I'm stumped! It doesn't really fit in the nacelle. It's almost the correct length but not the wedge the nacelle
notch is.

Let us know.
Thanks,
-Jim G.G.

Registered
notch is.

I mean, I suppose it could just be a pour stub accidentally dropped into the bag...

Registered
If I got the parts you are thinking about right, there's on half tube at the very bottom is smaller while the other 2 above the rear landing pad are longer with a hole in the middle. The smaller one looks like is the left nacelle foot pad and the other 2 longer ones could be the 2 nacelle front bottom landing pads covers. (In flight the circle nacelle landing pads are retracted in the nacelle and when landing, the door flaps open and the circle foot pads extend. (I think. :unsure: )

<Edit>

Found a picture of the full size shuttlecraft prop after it was refurbished and they are the replacement nacelle foot pads (replace the kits circle ones.)

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
Steve, That's a possibility, But I think The_Engineer has it.

That makes the most sense to me. I haven't heard back from Larson designs. If I do I'll post his answer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #53
jaws62666,

Thanks for the photos! They help.
And a nice start on the landing bay!

Registered
BTW, I was told the the rear gear was a nose gear from a F-102 or F-106.
An F-106 Delta Dart to be precise; some enterprising fellow on Trekbbs thought to post a pic on an aviation bbs and got a definitive answer very quickly:

Per the thread, apparently the reason it was available to Gene Winfield is there was a design flaw in the early planes that resulted in cracks and nose gear collapses.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Yah, I remember that thread.
It works well on the Galileo.

Registered
I didn't pull the trigger on this Menagerie buildup, but the gray painted area around the rear exhaust ports did inspire me to make a similar revision on my own Galileo buildup from a few years back (last photo, to be compared to the second-to-last). It's a small change, but somehow makes it look a whole lot better (a Gestalt, thing?). I bought one of the "U.S.S. Nimoy" / "Leonard" shuttle decal sheets you see on Ebay regularly, to re-apply the rear decal.

Starship Class
I've always thought the original kit would make a great base--with few alterations--for the version seen in the animated series (2nd from left). They seemed to have used the model kits as references for some of the animation:

41 - 60 of 73 Posts