Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Decal time.

Watching over it all is a 50 year old original kit built in the '70s.

I decided to use the kit decals, they were in good shape and I'm building this OOTB.
The decals are very thin, don't want to release from the backing, tear easy, and fold under. In short they were a pain to work with But I think they look good once they are on.

All that is left is to mount the rear gear, clear coat the whole thing, and glue the window in.

As bad as the kit is, once painted and decaled it actually look very nice. I'm starting to think of this kit like the old
MPC eagle. Its very inaccurate, but its all we had for years.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
DONE!

I've added nothing to this old kit other than paint and glue. I really wanted to modify it because it is just so bad, but I stuck to my plan. I did not even add any extra decals, which would help.

Anyway, I'm actually really pleased with how this turned out!

Most of the shuttle is off, but the back is the worst! If I was to build this again I would use a razor saw and cut the verticals on the lower back. bend it vertical and build a shelf to join it to the upper back. Just that little alteration
would go a long way to improving the look of the kit.

On a side not, the rock in front of the shuttle is from Vasquez rocks! So a nice Trek tie in there.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks!

These changes are not hard to make and would go a long way to make the kit look better:

1. Rework the instrument console. Fill in the dials, square off the center/lower panel, and add a clear Astrogator disk.

2. Add wall details to include the spherical sensor displays on the front/sides

3. Use a razor saw to cut the lower/aft section, then bend it vertical. build a "shelf" to mate it with the upper/aft section.

4. Replace the rear landing pad with a scratch built rectangular one.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
More painting today, Hopefully there is minimal bleed through on the masks.
Too late now I know, and you probably already know this trick, but brushing Future along the edge of the mask will help seal the edges against paint bleed. Love that you built this kit , brings back a lot of memories.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You probably already know this trick but brushing Future along the edge of the mask will help seal the edges against paint bleed. Love that you are building this it, brings back a lot of memories.
I did not know that, thanks!

Now that you tell me, it makes perfect sense though.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
and another thumbs up from me. Like I said, as full of errors as it is (which is really odd as AMT built both the stage prop and the miniature, iirc) it does have nostalgia value and there's no doubt anyone who knows even a tiny bit about Star Trek would say "hey! that's the shuttlecraft! I remember that episode!".

The minimalist backdrop also echos Matt Jeffries touch. :)

Very well done indeed!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This came today:

It addresses the back very well, not at all the roof rails or the interior. Not a complaint at all!
This was $29 shipped to the US.

The parts look well made, I've built some of his kits before and they always build into a nice finished product but they are not for inexperience modelers.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Oh, nice. It sure looks like that addresses most of the key sins of the kit, it will be interesting to see your next build side-by-side with the 'stock out of box' build.

I'm not sure the clear domes for the nacelles are really needed but I guess some folk want them lit. OTOH if the stock domes are way off...

OK. I'm stumped. What is that short tube looking bit, the one between the sheet of nacelle supports and the landing pads and decal? (picture #2) I'm probably gonna have to do a big head slap to myself when you tell me. :)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm not 100% sure myself. There are no instructions.

My guess is that it fills in the step in the nacelle under the door.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts