Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this in the stash for a while, It's a crappy kit as we all know, but I wanted to build it before the new kit comes out the end of the year.

It will be out of the box, no mods at all. I have ordered an aftermarket decal set as the original ones are yellowed badly. My kit is missing the directions, but I
built this as a kid and it only has about 18 parts.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Sink marks? Do you have any idea how hard it is on the hull of a ship to enter and leave the atmosphere of a planet? ;)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the Galileo had it's share of issues!

I started painting today. Watching "The Galileo Seven" the interior is mostly green. I used Krylon Celery. Looks close to me. I also glued the engine nacelles.

I had to clean up the sprue attachment points on the top hull.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Looking good! I wish PL would re-pop this kit. I know how 'off' it is, sooo many ways off, but it still has nostalgia value I think. Same as the MPC Eagle, the Aurora Flying Sub and Seaview kits. Heck, even the original AMT Enterprise!

All these kits mentioned and more can be built into a nice looking model that will be instantly recognized by a casual or 'lapsed' fan.

So I have to ask. What made this a 'Special Edition' release?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! It is a crappy kit, but as you said it it has a lot of nostalgia value.

Jamie at R2 was asked many times about this kit and his response was It is just so bad that they there was no way to release it with any kind of improvements.

I think the Special Edition is the clear windshield. I seem to remember that the original kit had solid windows.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looking good! I wish PL would re-pop this kit.
There are still old issues floating around. it was re-popped in the 1990s.
I believe AMT were working on tooling a new mold for this kit (the original molds are 50 years old) and have been trying to get it to market for about 5 years. it's still "on-hold"

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed it will be great!

I got some painting done today.

I tried to get greedy with the hull top while priming and ended up with a run. I had to sand and re-prime it.
It's drying now.

The hull bottom has been painted grey, with green walls and a flat black floor.

Detail painting has started.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the same kit with the windows and more accurate decals. By way of suggestion, on mine, I added some decals from the accurized Round2 / AMT 1/650 scale Enterprise decal sheet to the back end to make it look a little more betterer.
galileo.jpg

I also saw a build where someone added a custom engine exhaust decal that was reflectorized white with a black surround and made the back end look much better. Can't seem to find a photo of it, but I bet a convincing version could be made with the kind of reflectorized tape used to make motorcycle helmets comply with DOT standards..

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your Galileo looks great, thanks for posting.

You reminded me that the wings and pylons are light colored, like the top.

I have an after market decal set, its much nicer that the AMT set but the rear "engine" is still just black.

More painting today, Hopefully there is minimal bleed through on the masks.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the same resin parts on the way to me but I'm already beyond the point where I could use them.
I guess I'll have to build another.

I unmasked everything and things look good!

I used insignia white for the top
grey primer for the bottom
celery/ flat black for the interior
gloss black for the seats
I'll gloss coat the outer hull before decals then cover the whole deal with semi-matt clear.

I'm toying with re-doing the center console. The kit has it tapered but the set had it squared.

I'll think about replacing the rear strut with a squared off one and think about making the rear wing supports.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts