Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought some silicone tires- Wizzard, PVT01 and split the tires trying to get em on.

After splitting first tire wet the second one and promptly split that one :freak:

I have second pair but thought I'd ask here before I split those to.

Do I need to take off axle?

The original ones whent right back on.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Bummer. They really shouldn't tear going on regular XT or AFX hubs. Double flange hubs can be a bit more tricky with some of the softer and stickier silicone tires. Maybe you can bring/send these tires back since it's not your fault that they tore.

I know it doesn't help you at this point but if you want silicone tires that definately won't tear get some SuperTires.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Sounds like they may be too small to fit around the rim . . . and I know some silicone tires tear easy to begin with.

'Doba

·
Registered
130 Posts
What wheels are you trying to mount the tires on?

If you have the correct size tire for the rim, there is no need to 'wet' the tire.

Sounds to me like you have the wrong tire for the wheel. Silicone tires will stretch a little, but not alot.

NICK DANGER

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Hmmmm.... are you trying to mount slip-on silicones on the stock Tomy Super G+ wheels? Those wheels are designed to fit the stock Tomy tires and nothing else. Silicone slip-on tires require a standard cylindrical wheel, with or without flanges. You'll need to change your wheels. This will require a wheel puller and a wheel press. If you don't have the right tools to mount these maybe you can get help at a local hobby shop. If you get stuck I'm sure somebody on this board like me can help you out if you are willing to pay for the cost of parts and shipping. The Wizzard double flange wheels are a good deal at $2.00/pair.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh..well that explains it.

Will pick up those tools soon and fiddle with em. As really interested in learning the basics of HO repair and up keep.

As always thanks all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here's a quick fix: Remove the entire rear axle/wheel/tire assembly from the SG+, it just snaps out. Replace it with the rear axle/wheel assembly from a TYCO 440 or 440X2. Now you will have a faster car, that you can put those Wizzard tires on!!:cool:

NICK DANGER

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I've never had any problems mounting those Wizzard silicones on any hubs......they went right on...and STAY on.......must be the wrong size hub.... :confused:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The problem is those weird Tomy SG+ hubs. They are designed to fit a tire that is hollow on the inside to fit the weird hub.

When you mount replacement wheels make sure you take the edge off the end of the axle you're using (kind of like a barely sharpened pencil). If the edge of the axle catches on the plastic hub as you're mounting it there's a good chance the hub will wobble.

Yes, mounting a (Tyco) 0.059" axle on a Tomy will free up the back end a bit and maybe give you a little more speed. You'll probably have to remove or trim the Tyco gear boss to fit the Tyco rear end into the SG+. Note that you can use spacers between the crown gear and the inside chassis rear frame instead of relying on the gear boss. One downside of putting an 0.059" axle in a Tomy, which is designed for a 0.063" axle, is the fact that the rear end is more likely to pop out in a crash. You can also just mount Tyco (or Lifelike) wheels on the Tomy axle to allow you to run slip on tires.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The group I race with has been swapping in the Tyco axle assembly for over 7 years now and never had one pop out during a crash. Of course, we are more interested in good close racing, than trying to make the cars fly across the room
and stick to the water heater!!:p

Your mileage may vary:dude:

NICK DANGER

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
...we are more interested in good close racing, than trying to make the cars fly across the room...
Huh? Trying to make the cars fly across the room? Water heaters? That's not racing.

So you're saying that nobody in your "good close racing" group is running an axle retainer (pinned axle) on their SG+/G car when running an 0.059 axle?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you have the right tool?

Hi:

Just checking, but do you have the right tool? Check out JW Speed Shop. I have placed Wizzard tires on my GT X-Traction.

Tire Press
http://www.csonline.net/vwalters/newpage1/P04.jpg

Tire Spacers
http://www.csonline.net/vwalters/newpage1/P04-4.jpg

Tools listed are for smaller rims ie., T/J and X/T rims.

The spacers fit inside the hub so that it will not bend in either direction when putting the on the axle.

Another hint is to use the same axle for all your tires. I use the Tyco axle beacuse it will fit the Super G, and not the rerverse. Plus all the axle holes on the tires will be the same. No Guessing!!!!!!

Later

Jon

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm very impressed that a racing group exists that's never had an axle pop out in 7 years of racing. Why would a totally innocuous statement about putting a smaller axle in a hole designed for a larger one making the axle "more likely to pop out during a crash" invoke a comment that implies something about water heaters and good close racing negating the need for concern? What's the point?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts