Yes, that is what I said.
For the PL 1/350 refit E
Let me know if there is a serious need?
And will take up to 6 to 8 months!

Chris Lee

·
Registered
478 Posts
Are you making this drydock as a kit or already assembled? Makes for interesting diorama possibilities, 'specially if I decked it all out in Led's and other lights, but only a kit form would interest me. I'm not a big fan of buying pre-assembled kits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a kit only.
Shipping would be a nightmare :freak:
I hope to hear from you modelers :confused:

Chris Lee

·
Registered
478 Posts
O.K. I'll bite and express my interest in it. The kicker would be the cost however, irrespective of shipping.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
My name isn't Chris, can I post in here too? :)

I'd consider it, but cost is of course the big factor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes
Price is the big factor hear.
Please note, this kit will be resin, metal and plastic.
And over 4 foot long.
Also 300 to 500 pieces.
So what would pay for a kit like this?
$150.00 $250.00 $350.00 :eek:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Best to avoid raising expectations, either on our part (or at least mine, speaking for myself) or yours. Figure out what you need to charge to make it worthwhile. Price it appropriately. Produce it or don't. Come back when you have something ready to ship.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't know what shipping overseas to England is (not sure I wanna know either) but I'd consider up to $250 for a well produced kit. Gotta keep in mind I'll have the 1/350 refit E to buy, plus the NX-01 out whenever, not to mention it's costing me £3000 to get me and the tater tots back to Canada for a few weeks to visit family/grandparents this summer. Heck, at this rate, I'm gonna need a second full time job. If only I could figure out how to squeeze 26 hours out of a 24 hour day!

·
Registered
478 Posts
The only thing I've learned over the years is to expect the unexpected. But yes, I couldn't agree more with Mike. If it happens, it will, otherwise I rest contented as I am.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ok, now, wait a minute. Let's keep things positive and put our heads together to make this happen rather than just sitting back and making it someone else's problem.

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STMPEnterprise/STMPent63.jpg

Assuming the dock FX model was built as one piece, I'm counting six panels long front-to-back. Add 12 curved panels (6 top, 6 bottom), that's 18 panels per side, 36 panels total.

Do the top in 2 halves. Add in, say, 8 of those hexagonal worklight panels. Now we're up to 46 pieces.

A few gantries and catwalks, some detail bits, now we're at 50 to 55 pieces, 60 tops.

I don't see the parts count getting up to 350 pieces. The masters to make the molds from - sure, that's a ton of parts. But from a final kit perspective, 60 pieces about covers it.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
I'm thinking square brass tube throughout for support.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It may not be my personal style, but frankly you can do what you want. If you post updates and it never gets to market, I'm fine with that. I would instead caution people not to read said updates if they trouble you so much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replys.
Yes I do agee, gust make, and show it.
But before I invest 6 to 8 months in this prgect.
I need to know if the interest is there!
So please be understanding what I am asking. ;)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
What are your "carrot pics" of, Chris Lee?

Once you get started, alot of the pieces could be cookie "cuttered"(please excuse my massacre of the English language), as many of the parts would be identical. Also, to increase popularity, production cost and increase the number of buyers you might consider two configurations: One a full version, and one a starboard only half version, so as not to obscure the model on both sides. Also leave some internal cavities/hollow tubing as I'd love to be able to run A/C through it to power ship lighting. A hollow extension arm connected to the side saucer docking bay like the one in TMP(but switched to the starboard side(or side-switchable) would be of great help. That way both the structure and the ship could be hung from a decent height ceiling and thin A/C wiring feed through the ceiling to power both the Dock LED's and the ship by plugging into the Dock structure.

An inconspiculously wired, powered and lighted Dock and 1/350th Enterprise suspended from the ceiling where the wife/girlfriend can never bitch that it's taking up too much space!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Also remember, if you do a great job on this kit it can pull double duty. When TOS E comes out we could end up with two dioramas. One with TOS E first pulling into the Drydock and a second one 18 months later, suspended one in front of the other!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
Also remember, if you do a great job on this kit it can pull double duty. When TOS E comes out we could end up with two dioramas. One with TOS E first pulling into the Drydock and a second one 18 months later, suspended one in front of the other!
Now THATS a cool idea! :thumbsup:

Why didn`t it ever come to my mind :confused: ...sometimes you don`t see the forrest because of all those trees...

Hm, maybe I`ll give it a try in 1:2500 - will be cheaper than to do it in 1:350...

Greetings from Germany
Marco

1 - 20 of 51 Posts