Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This aztec-ing business is pissing me off. I've tried it this way and that, with frisket paper, drawer liner, I've cut out the white parts, cut out the black parts...It just won't work.

The masking material falls apart, sticks to itself, tears apart arggggggghhh!

Do the pre-cut templates have this problem?

What is the deal? I'm just about ready to skip it.

:confused: :cry:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used magic cover for my aztec, seem to work alright. The Aztec dummy templates wouldn't do that, but it is still time consuming. I have had my fair share of pain doing it as well, it's just apart of the process I guess.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I did my first one without the aztec maybe because i was not sure of myself doing it the first time,even thou i've got the AD Templates it didnt turn out too bad.I will try the aztec on my next build.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I am not at that stage yet. Believe me, I'm not looking forward to it. But as in anything in this hobby, you have to take your time and learn from mistakes and ask questions. Oh, don't throw it across the room either! And no one said you had to do aztecing! Good luck. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robiwon said:
I am not at that stage yet. Believe me, I'm not looking forward to it. But as in anything in this hobby, you have to take your time and learn from mistakes and ask questions. Oh, don't throw it across the room either! And no one said you had to do aztecing! Good luck. :)
I understand. The thing is, I've tried to cut out a template at least seven different times. I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The only problem I ever had with the aztec issue was if you layer on your base coat too heavily, then the paint will adhere to the vinyl and when you try to take off the templates, it will tear your paint off as well and totally mess up the look of the aztec. The aztec IS time consuming, but if you can get it right, it is totally worth it. The key for me anyway, is to do the model is sections, I do the top of the saucer one day, the bottom another, and so on. It took me almost a week to do the complete the whole model because I wanted to wait for the paint to completely dry before I took a stab at removing the templates. Just keep your cool and go with the vinyl templates version 2.0 from Cultvman.com Do you know what paint scheme to use for the good aztec look? Here are some pics of how my first attempt at the aztec turned out. Not as good as some of the other guys here, but I was happy with it.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/zenomorp/?action=view&current=100_2276_resize.jpg
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/zenomorp/?action=view&current=100_2252_resize.jpg
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/zenomorp/?action=view&current=100_2191_resize.jpg
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/zenomorp/?action=view&current=100_2170_resize.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm using the Aztec Dummy templates myself. It is the most time consuming process I ever have. But after seeing the completed top side of the saucer, I say it will be worth it once after the job is done. A steady hand, an exact-o knife and a good pair of tweezers have worked so far for me.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
John,
I've found the hearts to be just a bit too chewy...I prefer the liver

with "some fava beans and a nice chianti..."

Pixel, the base coat should be allowed to dry for at least 24 hours, but after you've put the templates on and sprayed the coat over them, that's when you shouldn't leave them in place for more than 3 hours before starting to remove them. your topcoat won't be completely dry, so handle with care and don't lay the top coat on too thick. (and wear gloves. safety first, people)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Aztec help

Wear a white undershirt, 'de-tack' the templates, lay them down lightly (do no burnish them on the hull). I fyou're good enough, you can use the templates for another model.

-Later!

·
Curmudgeon
6,650 Posts
I have a question about the Aztec templates I've seen available through most sites. Generally, in the "this is what you're buying" photos, they only show templates for the primary hull. Do any of these sets include templates for the secondary hull and warp pylons and nacelles, or are we on our own for those parts of the ship?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
I have a question about the Aztec templates I've seen available through most sites. Generally, in the "this is what you're buying" photos, they only show templates for the primary hull. Do any of these sets include templates for the secondary hull and warp pylons and nacelles, or are we on our own for those parts of the ship?

AD templates includes aztecs for the secondary hull, pylons, nacelles, and neck. I highly recommend them.

·
Curmudgeon
6,650 Posts
Raist3001 said:
AD templates includes aztecs for the secondary hull, pylons, nacelles, and neck. I highly recommend them.
Lou Dalmaso said:
Zombie, it's what Tony said. it's the whole ship, it's just that the saucer pictures are more "showy" and folks are interested in seeing that pattern more than the rest.
Thanks folks! I suspected as much but I wasn't sure, and I wasn't crazy about spending that much for something that would leave me so much "scratch" work to do to paint the rest of the ship.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts