Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my yearly maintenence on my 4hp mower (sparkplug, air filter, oil). I drained the oil and when i put the plug back in and i put teflon tape on it because it was on the plug when i took it out. when i Put it back in i went around it twice with telflon tape and started tightening it, after goin about half way in i heard a snap took the plug out the find a hairline crack about 1cm-2cm long starting from where the plug goes in. I put the plug back in with no tape and there seems to be no leaks. Should i buy some jb weld and put alitte bit up the crack becasue its not that big of a crack to go and by a new pan,, thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
there may be stress cracks aroound the place where it cracked. but you can always try jb weld and use it, see if it works, but then more cracks could form, losing the compression you need to run the engine , or a chunk of the engine may fly off

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just becasue the oil plug has alittle hair crack 2cm long the engine will not start, or do u mean the spark plug?, cause im talkin about the oil drain plug, thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
oops =) . was talking about the spark plug, sorry =) :) well, when running the engine the stress cracks could grow, and oil could come out, and thne you might run low on oil, but since its the drain plug, go with the jb

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya it might, i just cant see it because its so small,, i guess time will tell and i'll keep an eye on it. thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
but try to jb weld it first, and maybe look for some around the spot with a microscope, it may work, just keep checking the oil

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine has his own welding company so i think when i start to use the mower in the next couple weeks i will get him to weld it, but i have another question, the motor with this problem is a 4hp quantum but i have a 4hp quattro that i can put in its place. The quantum is on a homelite aluminum desk and it is a multcher with 2 blades, will the 4hp quattro be able to do the same the quantum becase the quantum is like 2 c.i. bigger than the quattro, thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright i will,, but the quantum has a throttle cable and the Quattro just has the govenor setting the speed, will this make a differece casue i dont care about the throttle control. thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya the quattro didn't fit because of the starter rope, the quantum sits on the mower backwards and the quattro set on the mower the regular way, anyways i put a tecumseh 3.5hp in place of the quantum for now just so i can mow then ill buy a base pan for the quantum,, thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wanted to take it out anyways, i think ill just buy a new pan becasue when i took the motor off the body i found another crack on the other side too, ill check ebay for a pan or else and new one is from 50-75 dollars, thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts