Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
The website has been changed to included a *thinly* veiled threat about reproducing their models without permission. If this were real, they'd already have lawyers contacting people. I wouldn't put much into myself. Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LAPCO cash grab

If I had to guess, the giammarino guy is cash strapped and probably wants to force Moebius into an out of court settlement. You will notice that none of the Polar Lights kits are included in his bogus website.

How long before LAPCO announces their long lost Nosferatu?

Jeff

HANG IN THERE FRANK WINSPUR!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Aren't they claiming ownership of properties that were supposedly lost in a train derailment after Monogram bought out Aurora? I mean, really, if anyone could claim to own these things if the original molds existed, it would be Revell-Monogram, right?

There's a big part of me that would just love to root on the Giamarrinos if they're restarting Aurora, but nah, I'll stick with the people who love the hobby instead of the carpetbaggers trying to cash in on Grandpa's work. I wonder what they'll do if the heirs of Aurora's other founders decide to get involved.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This really sounds as substanial as a wet single 1-ply sheet of toilet paper. If these guys "own" Aurora, why didn't they put up a fuss — and if they did, why didn't it stick? — when Polar Lights repopped all those models with the Aurora logo on the box?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Good point Frankie! I think the Aurora name and logo is owned by Cinemodels who granted PL limited rights to use it. Wonder what Cinemodels might have to say about LAPCO's copyright?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Copywrite infringement of Thomas Graham's work

Well it just occured to me that the pic of Jekyll that they have on their website is lifted from Tom Graham's book on the History of Aurora model kits. So LAPCO is now guilty of Copywrite infringement, unless they received permission to use it, which I doubt. :freak:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think pretty much everyone else has said it. They'd have to prove that *they* still own the name, logo, and molds before they start bullying anyone else around. Just because their forefathers started the company doesn't mean it's still owned by the family after all of these years since it got bought out and sold off decades ago.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I find it amazing that they "have" molds for kits that were last produced in the 1950's. Even if their "kits" were reproduced, they are still the slow sellers of their era, with exception to the Knights.

Remeber that Aurora REALLY got figure kits going with the Frankenstein kit in 1961 and all other subsequent monster kits are in HOT demand, fetching prices above the $1000 mark for items such as the Bride of Frankenstein. And who owns the rights to those kits? Revell/Monogram and RC2 (from Polar Lights merger)

As for the squirrels, people and knights? $20-$120 tops, $200 on a good day.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
We really should stop these threads all together....They are probably lerking...reading all these and having a good laugh.

Seriously....lets get back to REAL subjects and be happy that Moebius and Monarch are HERE TO STAY!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.