Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...but I promise this is the last one(fingers crossed). When I bought a second one I had something totally different in mind but decided bot to do it. So I just went ahead and built it as is. Nothing fancy but the usual theme but more mobile than the last one. The downside with these hasegawa models is that there interior detail is poor. So most of the parts, like pedals, knobs and brake handles had to be scratch built.

The seats are not perfect but will have to do. The hand brakes is not typical for this model but I decided it would have been changed to make shift part, due to lack of spare parts. Anyways, the entire hand brake frame is not seen when the chassi is put into the body frame.

The crackle paint effect was an idea I got from someone doing an unprofessional paint job. After-all this van was imported from a not so developed land, so I think this concept would pass.

The diorama is just a temporary placement for the model as I have not 100% decided on it or if I would just have it sitting on a plain base...:rolleyes:

img]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/tiking/VW%20Van/vw_van9.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh cool, another VW bus! The blistering , cracking paint looks very realistic. The torn upholstery is another nice touch. Awesome work!

·
Curmudgeon
6,602 Posts
As far as I'm concerned you can never have enough Volkswagen themed builds! :dude:

One thing that caught my attention immediately was the chrome parts; on a vehicle in this condition it's unlikely they'd still be as bright and shiny as they are. Aside from that, your attention to detail is remarkable, your skill at replicating rusted blistering paint and body rot is flawless, and that well-worn seat is truly brilliant! I particularly like the base--it creates a believable scenario without obscuring view of the van. Seriously nice work! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I'm concerned you can never have enough Volkswagen themed builds! :dude:

One thing that caught my attention immediately was the chrome parts; on a vehicle in this condition it's unlikely they'd still be as bright and shiny as they are. Aside from that, your attention to detail is remarkable, your skill at replicating rusted blistering paint and body rot is flawless, and that well-worn seat is truly brilliant! I particularly like the base--it creates a believable scenario without obscuring view of the van. Seriously nice work! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your comments. You are right about the chrome parts. I will tone them down. Thanks to everyone else who has contributed in this thread.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Thanks for your comments. You are right about the chrome parts. I will tone them down.
I think also the decals look a little too bright and clean - maybe the logos should show a bit of dirt and paint damage.

Overall, though, you've built an amazingly realistic Third World hauler. The blistered and peeling paint and rust effects are award-worthy. Are you going to enter it in a contest?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think also the decals look a little too bright and clean - maybe the logos should show a bit of dirt and paint damage.

Overall, though, you've built an amazingly realistic Third World hauler. The blistered and peeling paint and rust effects are award-worthy. Are you going to enter it in a contest?
Thanks. I thought about the decals but at the beginning I was considering the new owner wanted to lively up the van a bit and decided to add stickers to impress his neighbors. But I could just as well toned them down. Thanks for your suggestions. Yes. I will be entering it into a competition.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks gents. The van represents an African version. I just have not changed the licence plate yet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts