Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone from Greenlight explain why the Mustang Series.... Cruise In, rang up as - 1:64 County Road Trucks, and more importantly why they are $5.99?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Prices are determined by individual retailers, as is the data reading pulled from a UPC. Both are questions for the retailer, not the manufacturer. In your post you neglected to mention where the goods were purchased, a key element in navigating the question.

Sincerely,

Russell Hughes
GreenLight Collectibles
Director of Sales & Marketing
e. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Can someone from Greenlight explain why the Mustang Series.... Cruise In, rang up as - 1:64 County Road Trucks, and more importantly why they are $5.99?

I scanned those cars at my local TRU on Tuesday and they were also $5.99. Last week the TRU exclusive Black Bandit Mustang series was $5.49 (it was $4.99 the week before:freak:) I asked the manager at TRU why the prices were increased on several different items in the store. He said TRU and Greenlight are in business to make money (it's a business thing:dude:). He said as long as people keep buying them at the current price (increased price), don't expect to see them at the old price. I had 10 Greenlight cars in my hands and put all of them back on the pegs. I beginning to think of TRU and Greenlight as scalpers.....GREEDY:dude:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Russell.... they were from Toys R US.... according to them TRU, the shipping box read Assortment and they claim it's GLs fault?!?! Tried telling them that the 6 cars were definetly NOT County Road Trucks. I can buy GL all day for $3 each, $4 at the worst from a local vendor. Of course it's after the stores have had them but at a 50% difference, you know where I won't be getting them.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I wonder why TRU increased the TRU exclusive Black Bandit Mustang series ($4.99 to $5.49)?

·
Registered
365 Posts
yeah i just saw that in a TRU yesterday. $5.99!!! greenlight- county road trucks or cruise-in's should still be $4.99. I love GL's but that is crazy. bought a bunch of shelby collectibles instead. won't by another 1 from TRU or anywhere else for that price.:(

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, pending an answer from GL, these will probably be going back to TRU.... I mean crarp, I could get two sets at Collectibles Corner for pretty much the same $$.

Hey TRU, ain't happenin'!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
fuddmiester, there is no other answer from GreenLight other than what I posted earlier in this thread - prices are determined by individual retailers, as is the data reading pulled from a UPC. You'll find GreenLight at mass market stores anywhere from $3.99-$5.99 based on the individual chain's mark-up requirements or profit margin decisions.

Regarding the Toys 'R' Us "1:64 County Road Trucks" UPC scan data, they are working to update that information currently. The SKN for all GreenLight SE items is the same - County Roads, Hot Pursuit and Cruise-In - all fall under the same product line umbrella and in turn, the same pegs at the store-level. Since the item was originally set up as "1:64 County Road Trucks" and then transitioned to "1:64 GreenLight SE", it appears to have taken a while for them to update their systems, which is not uncommon in the mass market.

I hope that clarifies the situation. As always, we have our "Where to Buy" section at www.greenlighttoys.com, which will provide our collectors with many purchasing options around the country from OLDs to hobby shops to mass market stores. The direct link is: http://greenlighttoys.com/where-to-buy.html

Sincerely,

Russell Hughes
GreenLight Collectibles
e. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K., that answers enough.... won't need the Greenlight on-line store as it's apparent that I'll be weaning myself off Greenlight, just as I did with JL, thanks! What retailers and companies need to understand about my collecting habbits is that, I need $5.99, I like diecast! Actually works out well as the display case just filled and I was trying to justify getting another!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Russell,

Thanks for informative answer. :thumbsup:

Are Greenlight wholesale prices the same to all retailers? Or do any mass retailers or hobby dealers get preferential pricing?

Thank you.

fuddmiester, there is no other answer from GreenLight other than what I posted earlier in this thread - prices are determined by individual retailers, as is the data reading pulled from a UPC. You'll find GreenLight at mass market stores anywhere from $3.99-$5.99 based on the individual chain's mark-up requirements or profit margin decisions.

Regarding the Toys 'R' Us "1:64 County Road Trucks" UPC scan data, they are working to update that information currently. The SKN for all GreenLight SE items is the same - County Roads, Hot Pursuit and Cruise-In - all fall under the same product line umbrella and in turn, the same pegs at the store-level. Since the item was originally set up as "1:64 County Road Trucks" and then transitioned to "1:64 GreenLight SE", it appears to have taken a while for them to update their systems, which is not uncommon in the mass market.

I hope that clarifies the situation. As always, we have our "Where to Buy" section at www.greenlighttoys.com, which will provide our collectors with many purchasing options around the country from OLDs to hobby shops to mass market stores. The direct link is: http://greenlighttoys.com/where-to-buy.html

Sincerely,

Russell Hughes
GreenLight Collectibles
e. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
$6 is insane to pay for a regular 1:64 vehicle. All the GMs will be gone, but the rest should stay put at TRUs.

The hardcore Greenlight collector will still buy regular Greenlight issues for $5.99 each, but, How many hardcore Greenlight collectors are there?

If the production run was 1000 of each car for the series, I would buy the GL cars that I like. I doubt if I would be a completist for every GL series though.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hardcore Greenlight collector will still buy regular Greenlight issues for $5.99 each, but, How many hardcore Greenlight collectors are there?

If the production run was 1000 of each car for the series, I would buy the GL cars that I like. I doubt if I would be a completist for every GL series though.
Well considering that I was buying one set to open and 2-3 & 4 extras in some cases.... I'd say I was hard core!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I buy from both MM's and OLDS. Even at $6.00 the price evens out; mail order requires shipping and even when you buy volume, it adds .50 to 1.00 per car. G/L sells the UTHs for 9.95.
I think G/Ls are worth $2 more than JL's. Just my opions tho.

·
Registered
652 Posts
TRU will see that they cannot sell them @ the 5.99 price point, then in turn have to discount them or risk liquidation to a dollar general/big lots type of thing. TRU is destined to fail as was KB. Note to TRU selling at a moderate point & keeping & maybe gaining new customers rather than to up the price point & potentially lose customers. Simple math. Look at HotWheels they have stayed the same price for over 30 years. Maybe JL & Greenlight should take notes. Keep the same price margin without upping the price points. JMO

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Well considering that I was buying one set to open and 2-3 & 4 extras in some cases.... I'd say I was hard core!

I also was a hardcore collector at one time (one to open, one to keep in prison) fuddmiester. I'm no longer a hardcore collector. I also don't consider myself a completist collector anymore. Why buy castings that I don't like just because a company makes them? Most newer castings (10 years old or less) are worth less than what you paid for them if you deceide to downsize by selling them. I buy what I like even though I know that I'd be lucky to get 25-50% of the original price. I'm still a diecast junkie, but the thrill is gone.:dude:

I've been selling my extra (older) diecast cars to make room for the new diecast cars that I like. I no longer NEED a diecast car to complete a series, but I'd like to have it to complete a series. Give me a break, no one NEEDS a diecast car.:rolleyes: The word NEED is almost as bad as the word HATE. The only thing that I NEED is my families health (I've had personal issues), and I don't HATE anything or anybody.

I've been collecting diecast cars for over 40 years, and I wasn't a kid when I started. I worked for U.S. Steel when I started collecting diecast because I liked certain cars that were made. Chase cars ruined collecting diecast. Scalpers (people how don't collect diecast, but know they can make a quick buck selling the cars) really screwed up the diecast hobby.

So many long time diecast collectors (the GOOD collectors) have quit collecting, but it seems like for every diecast collectors that quits, there are 2new people (I won't call them collectors) that only take that collector's place. A lot of the new people sell on the 'Bay, and many don't even collect diecast cars. You can't blame them, there's money to be made because there is a demand for chase cars. Hey, buy a Super TH for a buck and sell it for $20or more when they first come out. Certain new WLs and GMs can bring a nice day's wage. I'm the dumb one because I keep the chase cars that I find (I rarely find one anyway), when I could have sold it when the price was high.

Thank goodness I still collect U.S. gold coins (been collecting them since 1967) and firearms (been collecting them since 1967). Both have given me much enjoyment, and it's nice to see that my collection has appreciated in value, and I had FUN collecting them. The first U.S. gold coin that I bought in 1967 was a $20 gold piece (double eagle) in MS-60 condition for $60. I bought U.S. gold coins every year from 1967 to 2004, and it was the best collectible that I ever bought. Not only is gold in the $1000 an ounce range (1oz .999 fine U.S. gold eagles, but the 90% U.S. gold coins can be worth more because of rarity) Gold is easy to sell and it doesn't take up a lot of room (who can afford to a ton of gold?). If you had the gold in a safe and your house caught on fire, the gold would still have value being a blob of gold. Can you say that if that happened to your diecast collection? What's a RARE redline HW worth as a melted blob? I know insure your diecast collection. Sounds good until the insurance company cuts a check for your collection. It's hard to come to an agreement on value. It happened to a good friend of mine.

Sorry for the long read.:wave:

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I agree TRU is robbing folks - they have JL Anniv Cars at $2.99 and $2.79 in my area. Having little ones I will say they do have better price points in other areas/other brand toys.

While I am sure Russell will disagree with me, the economics relating to diecast collecting/discretionary income in this day and age do not support a retail price point of $6.00 +/- ESPECIALLY with repaint after repaint coming out.

Logic would dictate - at least to a business I ran - that 45 versions of a given casting in more colors than the factory sold them in over the course of 6 months would be too much for the market to bare - at that price point, is a walk on the path to disaster. Others have tried and failed. The mass retailers, Target in particular in which I have contacts, will not support a product like that. Cranking out the castings AND increasing price seems illogical to me. Maybe GM should release more versions and manufacturer more cars??

I guess it is curious that JL moved to a less expensive line, GL quickly followed (although, I will say a confusing step to me with HS recasts), rather than concentrating on a line in which they no longer have one of their biggest competitors (JL).

M2 has been a great success I believe because of the price hold. They are approx $2.00 cheaper than GL here at retail and get higher ratings from the collecting community. While neither is without faults occassionally, it surprises that one can offer opening features and a more vast selection at a cheaper price point. They are also not on track to pump 50 series releases a month which I am convinced has played into it their success.

I certainly get the mold costs, materials costs, etc - been around long enough to get the costs quite clearly including running my own production facility, but there is really nothing differentiating the line anymore.

I will give cudos for the new Chevy pickup, although all ready out in like 3-4 series, and the attempts at the camper and so forth but one good idea doesn't carry a complete line. It is about repeated hits. ARod hits more than singles.............

My opinion - understand the NEW die cast market (its not the old school we had even as recent as 18 months ago), get to know your collectors they are the buyers and want to buy product THEY want not what is being fed to them, and drive little details (Sean at m2 gets the award for that) that make your pieces different.

My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts