Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the dirty jobs when you run offroad is cleaning your tires. Depending on the surface condition, they can come off the track anywhere from just a little dusty to double the diameter with caked on mud. No matter how dirty they are, you want to get the crud off so you have maximum traction for your next run.

I've found a trick a few years ago that works very well. The Offroad Tire Cleaner is inexpensive and easy to make and works like a charm with the total cost of the project being less then $10.00. The only items you will need to make it is:

• Tupperware container
  • Stiff bristle brush
  • Silicone sealer
  • Simple Green
The Tupperware container needs to be approximately 12"L x 8"W x 3"H. I highly recommend using Tupperware brand. I've used less expensive brands and have had them crack after a short amount of use. Tupperware is just plain stronger and my latest tire cleaner has been in use 3 years and is still going strong.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Stiff bristle brushes can be found in the houseware department of you local Wal-Mart or K-Mart. I find a 7"L x 2"W x 2"H brush (a pretty standard size) works about best. Make sure you get one that doesn't have a handle on it, or you can cut off the handle if it has one on it.

The silicone sealer is used to glue the brush to the bottom of the Tupperware container. Most silicone house caulking compounds will work well and I've even used Shoe-goo with success.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Simple Green can be found in the houseware department of your local Wal-Mart or K-Mart. It will recondition your tires as it cleans them. You know how your tires are sticky when new? Simple Green will restore them to that "like new" condition. One of the best things I like about Simple Green is that it is non-toxic and smells good, unlike a lot of the tire conditioners on the market. It works well on both old and new tires and is one of the "tricks" that offroad racers use to gain an "unfair" advantage (well, it's not really "unfair" or cheating, but is one of the tricks we use for maximum performance).

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Once you have all of the items for the Offroad Tire Cleaner project it's time to assemble it. Use a generous amount of silicone sealer on the bottom of the brush (the hard or handle side, not the bristles) and attach it to the inside bottom of Tupperware container so the bristles are facing up. Center the brush so it is evenly placed within the container. Now let the sealer completely dry. This normally will take about a day for a full cure. If you don't let it completely dry, it may come loose when you add the water to the container.

Once the sealer is completely dry, just add water to the Tupperware container so it is level with the top of the bristles on the brush. Add a couple cap fulls of Simple Green to the water and you are ready to clean.

To clean your tires all you need to do is remove the tires from your car or truck and rub them on the brush in the container. The brush cleans them, the water helps loosen the crud and the Simple Green reconditions the tire all at the same time.

I hope this makes your tire cleaning chores easier and with the use of Simple Green gives you a performance boost!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts