Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright. For the racers out there that enjoy the look and feel of open wheel oval racing, the Indy/F1 car that I've been running for the past 9 months is now in production.rcindycars.com is now marketing the chassis that I had comissioned. A friend of mine with big time chassis design experience and with some input from genuine open wheel oval engineers put this car to a cad design. I had some made and have been tweaking on it for some time.
A word from the website.

GRX - Oval Chassis

This car is designed for oval racing only. It is made to turn left very well. The chassis has a unique front end geometry where the right front tire is longer than the left front. This is called "lead in". The design allows the car to scrub less speed through the turns. Faster through the turns is faster on the straights. The car is also designed with the track of the car to be narrower on the left front than the right front to give the car more left side weight. More left side weight should allow the car to corner faster.

Other improvements are a one piece chassis design to allow more ride height adjustability from Velodrome big tire settings to small diameter foam carpet tire settings. The top plate has space allotted to allow mounting the rear wing to the chassis. This design allows the wing to make downforce on the main chassis.

The battery slots are cut to allow four cells in a row for those who like 4-cell stock, 4-cell 19turn, or 4-cell mod classes to enjoy the open wheel racing experience. There are four slots also cut on the right side to allow battery placement 3X3 or 4X2 for the 6-cell classes.

Like the other RCIndycar designs, the car is made to use all the hop-ups which fit the Associated style pan cars for easy parts availability and wide tuning ranges.

Here are some features of the GRX - 4 Cell Oval Chassis:

3mm Woven Graphite, since piece chassis design
Unique front end geometry, left side is moved in to move more weight to the left side of the car allowing it to turn left better.
4x4 Battery slots allowing you to run 4 cells all on the left side. 6 cells either 3x3 or 4x2 to distribute the weight
Rear wing mounts to the rear chassis brace on the chassis.
Wheel base adjustable from 10 1/4" to 10 15/16"
Accommodates standard Associated dynamic front end and rear end.
Very fast on an oval track.
We will have the pictures of the GRX - 4 Cell Car up soon!

My son and I have set new records at the Velo with this car. The 4 top qualifiers at the last Velo race were with this car. And on carpet, never running 4-cell mod before, I made 2nd TQ at the Classic Open out of 17 entries. The car is beautiful! :D

rcindycars.com INDY500BC

·
Team DCM
2,309 Posts
Oh yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Bob for starting the official thread for the rcindycar.com, for those that haven't seen it:

http://www.rcindycars.com

In addition to GRX car we also have several other chassis that you can check out, although the the GRX is the only chassis that we have that is designed with Oval only in mind and is setup to turn left and turn left quickly!

Thanks,
Tim Toepp
RC Indy Cars

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can vouch for the speed of the GRX chassis. I qualified 4th at the Velo race, finished 3rd behind 2 other GRX's. First time on the track with the car and I was in the hunt immediately thanks to the setup that Bob gave me. He knows the car very well and has put a lot of r&d into it. Also, with Brad Hayes' hand in it, it has to be good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
RC Indy Cars is 1 year old this month!

RC Indy Car is now 1 year old and we are having a SALE to celebrate this great event! :hat:

Also I have put up the pictures of the chassis so that you can see what all of the new models look like. For both our GRX Oval and the new Cosworth2, T1 and Spitfire Chassis, we have a chassis for every track that you run depending if it's a Indy Oval or a F1 Road Course.

Thanks to all that have made the first year successful!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hmm, what would you guys suggest for bodies? Any one better than the other? Thinking about toying around with this, as I've got more Associated based pan cars than I could possibly use and for 75 bucks it looks like a fun time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
we talked saturday bob. glad to see your cars doing well. i will see ya at the nats. i hope my 6-cell car gets done in time.......

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The 2-#8 holes in the fit the Tamiya and HPI front wings. When you buy a Tamiya body, it comes wit the wing. We're velo racing now and the Tamiya Sauber C12 ,( I get 'em at Tower) is a real smooth body/ low nose. Pretty much any Tamiya body you get, Ferrari high nose/low nose, McLaren, Benneton, Champ cars, they all fit. Bigger front wings have more downforce for small tracks/tight turns, there's more nylon so they're heavier too,(more steering). At the Velo my boy uses the Sauber, and make I a little wing from ABS for it. The stock Sauber wing is very good for high speed with medium downforce/weight. I found an old Hot Bodies Ferrari '93 that I'm using right now. My boy and I ran the car on carpet all last winter on a real small track with very good performance. It kind of looks like a Dallara too!(Sauber)
Mcallister has some real cool Indy/F1 bodies and look at the Hot Bodies Online cars also. The Duratrax Indy Delphi has nice lines, but it's REALLY HEAVY!.
Cars look real cool, open wheel and all, and anything you can bolt on a Associated car (hop-ups) you can bolt on this.
For a rear wing, Monti showed me the Kimbrough molded Lexan wing is what we use. Looks real nice.
If you go to the pdxracing.net site, you'll see the rules we use. But run 'em any way you like too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
McAllister is coming out with a new IRL body, possibly in August or September. Dahms also has several different types of bodies that can be used. As Bob said, we pretty much use the Kimbrough wing since it is a solid piece and has less flapping then the nylon rear wings. You can also cut those wings for less downforce. The Sauber body is a good starting body as it comes with the front nylon wing which is key. Some of the guys have tried the delphi wing, but usually after one unfortunate hit it is pretty toast. You will also need some wing stand-offs and some .78 wire for the rear wing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Indy car chassis

I just recieved my T1 chassis a few days ago and it's awesome!
I put all my Assoc. L4 parts on it and every thing fit perfect.
I will get it on the track hopefully in a couple days after I get my
body and wings on.

Thanks Tim at Indycar R/C

Kevin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kevin,

You are welcome, glad that you are satisfied with the car. Let me know if there is anything else and now that you have the car we hope to see you at some of the Velodrome next year!:thumbsup:

I'm hoping to make it to Cincy for some of the on-road races as well, as long as I get prior approval from the boss.

Thanks,
Tim
RC Indycars

·
Registered
166 Posts
RC Indy Cars Takes 1, 2 & 3 @ Velodrome Nationals!

RC Indy Cars took 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the 2004 Velodrome Nationals! It was a sweep for the GRX chassis!
Out of the Top 7, there were 6 RC Indy Cars!
(somehow a Woods Brothers car that was recovered from a RC Pit Box grave, cleaned up and brought back to life just in time to take 4th.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Where do you get the wings for these cars and how is the servo mounted in the car, also how is the body mounted on the chassis and how does the body fit over the rear shocks, any pics or advice would be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Another Woods Indy 500 car was spotted at the big Akron oval race this past weekend and it seemed to run pretty well. The racing history of this model began at the Indy Velodrome in 1995 when Mike Woods Sr. and his son debuted the car. Seeing Indy cars on an RC track is way "cool", and I for one am really glad to see them on the track again. Oldguy

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We use the Kimbrough molded lexan wing. The servo gets its ears cut off, stood on end and take some Assoc. plastic servo mounts and shim and Shoe Goo that servo in there. Real high tech, huh? With a Tamiya/HPI front wing, there is a body post mount on the front wing and a pre-drilled hole in Tamiya bodies that fit that mount. Normal body posts are mounted to the chassis in front of what would be the front nerf bar screw hole. Holes are pre drilled for nerf bars (2 supplied) and body post mounts. Most Tamiya bodies will fit over the side shocks. You may have to be ceative and ingenious to get the fit made right and not have the body too high to clear the side shocks. Some pics at the rcindycars.com site.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bandit Racing,
In addition to what Rockin_Bob said, you can also take two of the Traxxas Part #4919 which allow you more real-estate to secure the servo. Bodies can be used from McAllister, Dahm's, Tamiya, HPI, Delphi, etc and depending on the body so do hide the rear shock assembly. Now not all of the chassis come with a Nerf Bar assembly as Rockin_Bob said. The Thunderbolt, T1 and Cosworth2 all can use a standard AE nerf bar, the GRX and Spitfire come with graphite nerf bars. Check out some of the pictures on the Website and I always try and put more up as I get them.

Oldguy - They are not only cool seeing them run, they are cool to drive!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The McAllister IRL bodies come with a rear wing, are these good enough to race with or do I need the Kimbrough wing? Do you guys run the rear pod in the straight up position or in the offset position and do you run the wide or narrow rear capped tires? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From what I've seen of that body/wing, the photo shows the wing mounted to the body. We made an area on the chassis for wing wire standoffs to mount to the chassis. The Mc wing would probably be fine. It seems to be the side dams that really do the work, not the downforce, unless you're running a tight track with sharp turns where a bit more downforce would help. Mounted to the body, the wing just moves all around and flutters. For me, bad idea. Wing mounted to the chassis we feel works exceptionally better. Tires, at the Velo, we use narrow tires. For any other racing, use the same tire setup that is working for the regular pan car guys which from what I've seen on outdoor tracks, would be wide rears. On indoor carpet, 3 pinks and a purple or black works great. I like the pod offset in all track situations on oval. Seems to get a bit more acceleration (bite) coming off the corner.Thanks Bandit. Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob, so do you think it would be better to go with the Kimbrough rear wing and a Tamiya front wing, and run the car in the offset position, also where is the best point to run the antenna through the body?

1 - 20 of 211 Posts