Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Official Kustom Kontest Rules - Round 1

OK boys and girls! It's play time in the old Hobby Talk customizing room! The rules are simple and few. Read everything over and get started. This should be a blast!

You can read the thread marked "Return of the Custom Contest" for more general background information, but for the sake of clarity, let me wrap it up.
Last year, our own Kenny Koas (KK) hosted a theme based custom contest. This was a fun, informal process that got several of us off our tail and hard at work on some new projects. Well, in the sprit of that heritage, I present to you the 2007 version...THE HOBBY TALK KUSTOM KONTEST.

Here are the simple rules....

1) THE CAR: We all start with the same casting. for round one, it will be the orange 1969 AMC Javelin from the 2007 Pony Power release ( release #1, car #3).

ANYTHING GOES...Zingers, street rods, custom paint, race cars...what ever your twisted little mind comes up with! We all start with the same "canvas", but something tells me we will end up in very different places!

2) SUBMISSIONS: Take photos, and be ready to post your finished creation in the official entry thread, it will be posted on May 20t. To be in the contest, all cars will need to be posted in the same thread for easy viewing and voting.

If you post early pics in your own personal threads, you will need to post them again under the official entry thread as well.

There are NO LIMIT on number of participants, numbers of cars, OR number of cars that a single customizer can enter. The more the merrier! Each car will stand on it's on, so get those creative juices flowing.

3) TIME: Because we are getting off to a mid month start, round one will run from now, April 13th, to the end of May (cutoff, midnight of May 31, 2007). All cars will be submitted by that date, and voting will run for 10 days thereafter, or until June 10th.

I know this seems like a long round, but being the very first one, I want to give everyone an opportunity to get involved. No reason to be in a rush, this is about having fun and working out new ideas.

4) VOTING: Voting will be by posting in an official vote thread that will appear on June 1 and run through June 10, 2007. You can vote only once for 1st, 2td, and 3td place cars. All votes will be counted and a winner proclaimed. In the case of a tie, a run off will be held featuring just the cars in the tie.

Yes, you can vote for yourself!

5) THE PRIZE! : You can't have a contest without a prize, and this one is no different. I will put together a box of goodies for all three positions. The GRAND PRIZE (First place) will include both packaged and loose diecast (hey, were customizers, we can use the cars for more customs!). A full set of custom Johnny Lightning logo magnets, and of course, the official winning certificate mounted on a custom wooden display.

Second and third will receive a box of goodies as well, magnets, certificates, etc. I am hoping that others will help and chip in a few cars to sweeten the winning pot across all three positions. This is not necessary, as there is NO COST TO PLAY. It would just make all three payoffs larger. But even if not, I will make it a cool box of goodies.

Let's encourage our brothers and sisters on the regular Johnny Lightning board to check this out. Since this is a JL contest, I will post all entries in a voting thread on that board as well. If you have any questions, please post here, or email / PM me and I will get back to you as quickly as possible.

OK, there you have it....now get busy and have some fun! :wave:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have picked up a few extra Javelin's. If any one is having trouble finding one, let me know. For a total cost of $6.00 I will send you one untill my supply runs out. I will cover the extra cost. I just want everyone to have a chance to join in the fun.

I'm in for at least one entry, maybe two. Depends on how the fisrt one turns out!

Also, Kenny, would you mind making this a sticky? It would just make it easier for new folks to find it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, I was asked to clear up two last things. Should a car I build somehow wind up in the top three ( snicker), I will just beef up more of the other two positions prize box.

Also, I will pay 100% of the shipping and any expense involved shipping the prize boxes. This is my gift to the board. I truly enjoy HT, and just wanted to give back a little.

Should I win something, I will only keep the "award"! Get it?...Award?....you know... a Ward...come on, my name...Ward...on never mind! :rolleyes:

Let's here some chatter over the next few weeks. Post in here is your planing to build one! :wave:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dockchecker said:
i'm in if i can find one they seem to have disappeared . i'll try tru tomorrow.
If you can't, let me know. I bought a few extras. See the above post. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK folks, keep those wheels turning ( no pun intended!). Wonder who has started? Check out the thread for who is "in" so far!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rlyoung1 said:
There's been one hanging at the local Target for awhile. It calls out to me but I have not answered yet. :)
Oh, come on and just do it! Reading through the post, you would make the total number of guys saying they are in at an even 12! :thumbsup:

I know not everyone who says they are planing to build will have the time to finish it up. But I also hope we will have guys that have not made a declaration, submit creations when it time.

I would love to see some you, Clearhooter, Inkfleet, and others of our core guys throw one in. I am like Toy Vettes, I think I have to do two. My ideas are so far apart, they can not share the same car! :freak:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
So even if we don't commit can we still enter one when the time comes? I have never done a custom, some wheel swaps yes, but never a full blown custom. I just may try and find one of these this weekend, possibly throw my hat in the ring. But I don't want to commit in case there are none around, or my custom ends up looking like a kindergarten experiment, lol.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MudSlinger said:
So even if we don't commit can we still enter one when the time comes? I have never done a custom, some wheel swaps yes, but never a full blown custom. I just may try and find one of these this weekend, possibly throw my hat in the ring. But I don't want to commit in case there are none around, or my custom ends up looking like a kindergarten experiment, lol.
ABSOLUTELY! There is no "official" entry form, the only entry that counts is posting pics into the submission thread. That thread will appear and you can start entering pics on May 20.

As far as what you submit, why not a simple wheel swap? It's a beautiful casting as it is, maybe a simple wheel swap is all that is needed. The people vote ( every person gets one vote for 1st, 2td, and 3td) so let them decide. Get it ready and join the fun! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Opened up the Javvy yesterday and the chopping, pimping and painting (and grinding and fitting and detailing) have begun!! See you on the 20th :wave:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
So far I have had no luck finding one. I still have a few more stores to check, but at this point I most likely would not have the time to finish it. Good luck guys, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
MudSlinger said:
So far I have had no luck finding one. I still have a few more stores to check, but at this point I most likely would not have the time to finish it. Good luck guys, I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Heck no! Your not getting out that easy! Send me your address. I have one ready to head your way. You have plenty of time!!! :wave:

(I have not even started on my two yet! :rolleyes: )

1 - 20 of 34 Posts