Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please identify for me the 2004 19 turn rules?

-How many magnets?
-Legal brush hoods and brush types?
-Maximum timing?
-Locked or Adjustable?
-Armature weight?
-Balancing?

Also, for those 19 turn experts out there, what setup seems to be the quickest or the most popular?

Thank you to all who can help.

Matt Murphy

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Matt you can go to roarracing.com and find the rules. There are simply two sets of rules for 19t. You have the on-road/off-road with fixed 24 degree timing-2 or 4 magnets .
Then you have the oval version that has the adjustable timing version with 2 or 4 magnets. To find out what motors have been ROAR approved you'll have to go to the roar site again.
If you have anymore question contact your Region Director.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Fastest ROAR setup is P94 brushes and 20degrees of timing go up 50-60 points on the rollout from 36degree gearing ....teardown is D5 with a D1 arm ....Most all winders have these teardowns and all the arms are close in performance .....SRM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your help. Which brushes make the most power? Which springs? Is the 2 magnet better than the four magnet?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
19 T rules, ha! The last few major races I attended all had different brush rules. The nats advertised standups only,then allowed P-94's the day of the race, The Associated Open ran laydowns, K/N Mayhem series used standups only, and the Hyperdrive challenge allowed P-94's. No one knows if the ROAR rulebook is accurate. I've been racing stock until the rules get halfway consistant.

·
Registered
691 Posts
"Then you have the oval version that has the adjustable timing version with 2 or 4 magnets."

Are lay down brushes allowed? Or just standup for 2004?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Been looking for it. can anyone tell me if the 19trn rules says "19 continous winds" yet?

And as of right now i like the quad mags with standups at 30 degrees of timing. that is for out door cap racing. anyway......

·
Registered
385 Posts
I will have a formal 19-turn rule clarification for oval by the end of the week posted. There has been posted items over the past months, but ROAR hasn't acted swiftly to get items posted. The clarificiation will cover all.

Kenny B
ROAR Oval Committee
ROAR Excomm

·
Registered
877 Posts
What about all the arms and Motors I have sitting here to take to the Nat that are Built to the ROAR rule book ....Do i Just throw them away or cancle my trip to the NAts ....Cant afford to purchase more motors ...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was just informed that these rules are in effect now and would be used for the up coming ROAR nationals

ROAR Oval Committee
Memo
To: ROAR 19-Turn Modified Motor Builders (Oval Motors)
Mid-West Tri-Clone (Host 2004 ROAR Paved Oval Nationals)
ROAR Membership
CC: Files
Date: July 28, 2004
Re: 19T Modified Class Rule Clarifications – Oval Classes
Attached for your reference and implementation, are 19T Modified Class Rule Clarifications that will be
enforced immediately and in effect for the 2004 ROAR Paved Oval Nationals hosted by the Mid-West
Tri-Clone.
These clarifications replace Rules 5-65 through 5-68 of the 2004 ROAR Rule Book.
Rules as printed in the 2004 rulebook were intended as an enhancement to the 2003 19T Modified
Class Rule Clarifications not a replacement. Prior to the 2004 ROAR Carpet Oval Nationals and
immediately after publication, there were several Internet postings trying to provide clarification as to the
motor specifications as shown herein. As a result, the P-94 brush was allowed at the event since
complete clarification was not provided nor published on the ROAR website, Rev-Up, letter, or available
through the host track. To maintain consistency with the intent of the class, as well as substantial
agreement in specifications with other national R/C organizations, only standup brushes (3.75 mmx 5
mm) brushes will be allowed.
If you have any questions, or wish further clarifications, please contact Kenny Bergschultz at
[email protected] or at (920) 918-3299 (cell).
Thank you for your time and continued support of ROAR.

19T Modified Class Rule Clarifications
Effective July 28, 2004
***The following clarifications and specifications supercede those published in the ROAR 2004 Rule
book or those previously applied at past ROAR oval events, carpet or paved.
Armatures
All armatures shall be based upon ROAR approved modified motor armatures as shown on the
ROAR website under Products.
Armatures: 3 pole armatures only with a minimum stack length for Epic of 21.3 mm; Yokomo 21.3 mm;
Top Core 21.5 mm; Vortex 21.5 mm with a minimum stack diameter of 22.9 mm. Full stack armatures
only, no split rotors or tri- rotors permitted. Minimum web thickness shall be 0.170 inches (4.33 mm)
including manufacturing applied epoxies to secure stack wafers. No removal of stack wafers (i.e. short
stacking allowed). Armature shaft diameter will be 0.125in.
All 19T armatures will be wound with the Mabuchi wrap, with round 19AWG wire with a maximum size
of 0.0355 inches (0.902mm) bare. A minimum of 19 continuous turns per pole. No error factor in the
number of winds per pole/stack will be allowed. Wire length will be a minimum of 134 inches total, or
44.60 inches unwound per pole. No shorting of any wind or winds allowed.
Armatures may be hand or machine wound, and must bear a mark or tab identifying the armature and
winder. Example: NAME 19X1, NAME 19T. Marks may include etching or engraving on the armature
stacks, and/or tags epoxied between the stack spacing and must be permanent, as to see any
tampering. If it is found that these markings/tabs/tags are not legible, or tampered with, the armatures
may be deemed illegal. Unmarked arms will be deemed illegal and may result in forfeiture of main or
qualifier.
Commutator slots must be aligned to neutral with the center of the individual poles/segments. No
tolerance allowed on commutator timing. Skewed commutator segments are not legal
Full stack armatures made only of magnetizable material. No modifications to the stacks will be
allowed other than the normal drill balance holes. Any modifications to the original OEM
Importer/Manufacturer configurations, including but not limited to, excessive drill holes/milling/turning to
lighten and/or enhance the performance from that of the full stack will not be allowed. No linear
separations of the stack segments will be allowed.
No split or tri-rotors will be allowed. Vertical slots will not be allowed on any armature manufactured by
the original OEM Importer after January 1, 2002. Vertical slots on all armatures manufactured prior to
January 1, 2002 will not be modified from the original configuration as manufactured by the original
OEM Importer. At no time will any material be removed from the armature, whether hidden or visible,
except those from normal balance holes as specified here within. No skewed armature laminations
allowed.
Balancing may be done by either epoxy and/or drill balancing. Drill marks shall not exceed two holes
per pole with a No. 1 or No. 2 combination drill/countersink. Holes may not be any larger 4.76 mm
(0.1875 inches) in diameter and may not exceed 6.35 mm (0.250 inches) in depth. Any large drill holes
of the same size, on all three stacks, shall be suspect to excessive drilling for the purpose of lightening
and/or enhancing the performance.
Any arm to be found in blatant violation of these specifications will result in the OEM
Importer/Manufacturer/Builder to be banned from any ROAR approval product for a period of one year.
This shall include, but not be limited to, smaller wire gauge and less wraps than specified.
ROAR will annually re-evaluate the above specifications based upon quality of race competition,
present manufacturing processes and materials, changes in technology, and track performance.

Cans and Endbells
Only ROAR approved modified motor cans with approved endbells may be used and meet
these specs within. Approved products can be found on the ROAR website under Products.
Can and Endbell: Can based on the 0.05 industry standards, maximum diameter of 36.05mm and a
minimum diameter of 35.5 mm. Maximum length of 36 mm and a minimum length of 35.5 mm
measured from mounting face to the open end of the can. Length from the mounting face to the furthest
point of the mounted endbell shall be a maximum of 53.5 mm and a minimum of 52.2 mm.
Motor mounting holes will be on 1-inch centers. The space between magnets will be centered at one
set of the mounting holes that will be marked to indicate zero degrees (0) centerline. Can must bear the
mark of the original OEM Importer/Manufacture.
Magnets must be permanently affixed/epoxied to the can and not removable. Ceramic magnets only,
no Rare Earth or Cobalt magnets permitted. Honing of the magnets or reforming the can will not be
allowed. Two magnets or four magnets (quad or split magnets) are allowed. Two magnet cans shall
not be cut or emulate split magnets. Quad or split magnets must be of equal size and glued into the
can in such a way that they do not advance the magnetic timing of the motor.
Motor will have adjustable timing. Timing rings shall not be drilled to allow increased timing other than
those drill holes from the manufacturer. Timing for motors shall not exceed 36 degrees.
Ball bearings are allowed. Brush hoods will be STANDUP (3.75 mm x 5mm) brushes only. Brush
hoods may be changed from approved ROAR can/endbell combinations to allow for STANDUP brush
hoods.
"L" cut/timed brushes will not be allowed. Only 3.75 mm x 5 mm brushes and brush hoods will be
used. Trimming/modifying or reducing the size of larger brushes to standup brush size is not allowed.
Slotting and/or elongating the brush hoods mounting holes to cock/shift the location or change the
alignment of the brush is prohibited. Endbell must be secured to the can with the screws. No gluing of
endbell to can allowed. Endbell must bear the mark of the original OEM Importer.
Final Assembly
Swapping of components from one Manufacturer to another is prohibited. All 19T motor combinations
(armature/can/endbells) shall be manufacturer specific (i.e. Epic/Epic/Epic, Yokomo/Yokomo/Yokomo,
etc.)
Pricing
Suggested retail price for a complete motor shall not exceed $65. Armature may not exceed a suggest

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Way to stick to everyone again ROAR....I was under the impression that the rules were only changed at the first of the year after the exc com voted on it? Guess I'll skip the Nats this year....You all have fun!!

EA

1 - 20 of 23 Posts