Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Complety assumed off topic thread, this days I'm looking for other table top sport games. After cars slot racing, I'm interested in table hockey (already looking for a Stiga competition board) and electric football.

I just wanted to know if anyone here was interested in that side of our hobby (=tabletop gaming/simulation), since I plan to build my board myself.

thanks,

dimitri

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Tim who goes by sundance on the board is into the football heavy.He hasnt been posting on the board lately but I am sure hes out there.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I LOVE the slide lever, table top Hockey games. I tracked a deluxe Bobby Orr version from the early 70's a few years back on the bay. I liked electric football, liked the electric baseball better though. I think with alot of table top games, the fun depends on your opponet... you need to play someone at the same skill level or it gets boring.

with my electric football game, I had a kicker so strong I could punch a field goal from anywhere on the field

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
not QUITE electric football, but i have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MONDAY-...in_0?hash=item3ca53c48f9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

my box is in better shape. i bought it at a thrift store because it said Aurora on it. i think i've had it out of the box twice--once when i brought it home to to see what all was in there, and once to show a guy who was into electric football games. if anyone is interested in trading it for some slot car stuff, let me know and i'll drag it out and take pics and get an accurate inventory...

--rick

edit: box for mine actually looks more like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AURORA-1972-ABC...0?hash=item56347bf2e1&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm currently searching for a decent priced game for now. People advised me a Tudor #620, wich is the big board Tudor made. But it's difficult to find it (and find a seller who accepts to send it to France with a fair price).

So I guess I'll have to make my own game board ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Love both electric football and table top hockey games. Have a stiga hockey game with about 25 teams and have two football games one from the 70's and one from the 90's when target use to sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
First person who completed a electric football pass raise your hand!

I could never get the passer in electric football to complete a pass. The football was a piece of felt with a slit in it and I could never complete a pass. Had some great 100 yard kickoff returns though.

I had another football game where the field was a large piece of vinyl (like 6' x 3') and the running back was wind up guy on wheels. The defense had 10 players stationary and one tackler on wheels that your opponent would roll (i.e. throw) at your runner. The passer threw a Styrofoam ball that you could never complete either.

Now how about ping pong ball basketball, I could score with that!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I had another football game where the field was a large piece of vinyl (like 6' x 3') and the running back was wind up guy on wheels. The defense had 10 players stationary and one tackler on wheels that your opponent would roll (i.e. throw) at your runner. The passer threw a Styrofoam ball that you could never complete either.
It was made by Louis Marx..........I have one (now) in the box, but back in the day that thing took up more space then the old slot car set, but both were fun to play on dad's pool table!

-------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There you go ... table hockey games. I have not even thought about those for years.

Table hockey games were second only to slot cars for me for indoor activities. (Street hockey was the #1 outside sport, played it 365 days a year, subzero to 90s.) I would play table hockey against one of my friend's older brothers and his college friends. I was maybe spanning the 10-15 year age. We would play full length regulation games, sometimes three or four in a row. Even played a few under blacklight conditions, reasons that only became apparent to me in later teenage years. Scores were generally in the low single digits, like 5-3 after 60 minutes of play. The guy I spent the most time playing against had the incredible ability to do a complete play-by-play of the game, both sides of the puck, as he was playing the game in real time. These weren't hacker games either, plenty of setup plays, two player passes, tip-ins, etc. Very competitive. I usually played as the Montreal Canadiens and my arc nemesis was usually the Boston Bruins. Beliveau vs. Esposito, Dryden vs. Cheevers, Cournoyer vs. Orr, etc.

I had a really nice big tabletop set that came with every team in the NHL included in the set. The players were metal and were finished on both sides. Maybe a Coleco or Eagle set, can't really remember. I would clean the "ice" with Pledge and that would make a huge difference, just like what a real ice rink feels like after a fresh Zamboni pass. That was one toy that got worn out from use. Not a single drop of MIB toy collecting blood running in my veins. Wore that sucker out.

Table top football. Migraine inducing hum box. Semi interesting. Had a little set with metal slab players and a little felt football. It had a screw to control the vibration amplitude over a range from "annoying everyone in the house" all the way up to "getting a boot stuck up your butt" disgustingly loud. A friend had the set SCJ is talking about and it was interesting for a few minutes. Once you've felt the power of the metal rods twisting in your hands and tipping in a slapshot from the defenseman to the left winger, all the while listening to the full length version of In-a-Gada-da-Vida three times in a row, the vibraslab football games just didn't hold up.

So now that you've piqued my interest ... what would be a really good quality table top hockey set to get these days? I may have to dust off the old virtual skates and break out the Pledge. Tell me more, please.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Hey AFX, I too was madly into table top hockey and always wanted a clear dome one (like the arcades had) for my home, but everytime one came close some bill or real life reasoning stopped me from buying it.
Me and my buddy would go to the mall and have a crowd watching cuz we where so loud and trash talking each other all the time, lol.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what would be a really good quality table top hockey set to get these days? I may have to dust off the old virtual skates and break out the Pledge. Tell me more, please.
It should be a STIGA table hockey board. It's sweden I beleive, all NHL teams are made (in 3d painted figures), and most of the major national teams.

It's a game used in all major international competitions. Used mostly in northen europe, canada, USA, and Russia (lands of ice hockey).

the board price is reasonnable and you can find spare replacement parts and teams easily.

One major improvement on this game is the possibility to play behind the goal, like the real thing, so there 're no dead spot on the field.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
AFX, I know what you mean. My buddy and I would play for hours on end. When I was 15, I had an old digital clock from the late 70's that got rained on. It gave me the coolest malfuction... I could set it for 10 mins and it would count down, second by second, and the the alarm would go off at zero. We would play 3, 10 min periods... we'd even keep a scorebook for later trash talking rights. My buddy was 2 yrs older than me and when he went into the Navy, my table hockey playing days were over. In those days, most of the games came with the Rangers vs the Canadians, but I painted one set... to your dreaded Bruins. I grew up in NJ but for some reason I was a big Bruins fans back then. I think it was because I liked Cheevers face mask when I was a kid. Brad Park was one of my favorites too.

We got very good at the game... 2 player, even the occasional 3 player passing plays, tips ins, rebounds passed back and then re-shot. I wish video cameras were as cheap and easy to come by back then as they are now, we would have had a whole playoff series, complete with instant replay highlights..lol! Like you, I had one of those old record players that would just keep replaying the same record over and over again until you got up and changed it, for us it was the Beatle White album, side one. (back in ther ussr, dear prudence, glass onion, bungalow bill, etc) We wore out both, hockey game and album.

I even did a photo essay on it for my high school photography class... posing players (as best one can win thin flat metal players), setting up passing plays, cheesy as all hell, but I got a "B" on it. I wish I could find those pics now.... it would really be a laugh!

This one buddy and I would compete at anything, all day long.... in the foul weather, it was table hockey and electric baseball, in nice weather it was whiffle ball. Man, we'd play from noon to supper, day in and day out. Those were the days.

I hope Heaven is real and it allows us to go back and relive all the good days from our lives again and again, THAT would be Heaven to me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts