Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine at work recently bought a 1965 Catalina convertible. He was cleaning it out the other day and found a slot track buried in the trunk. The track and box was beyond help, mostly warped from 20+ years in the heat and cold, but in the floorboard under the passenger seat was an Aurora 67 Galaxie. He remembered I collect and race and brought me the car. It's a little rough, broken window posts, but it has a cool history!

-Paul

·
Registered
264 Posts
What's the weirdest place you found a slot car?

that's a diamond in the rough, (or a rough diamond?)

I once found a Cobra Daytona tjet box sitting in a kit of sewing supplies at a yard sale. It was full of sewing needles. Looked a little more and found the car, too. Looks like mom need a box for her needles and just dumped the car out. Needless to say I was thrilled. Bought the whole kit for $5 and gave it to my mom. Kept the box and car of course.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where it was found

I haven't had a chance to take a picture of the slot car, but here's where it was found.

Here's the car as Mike found it. It had been sitting for 30+ years.

Here it is after the 1st round of clean up.

And the slot car was under the passenger seat, just waiting to be found. Now should I start checking every potential restore rod for slot cars????

-Paul

And yes I will get pics of the 67 Galaxie, before and after.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
i love those '65 and up fullsize GMs... i have a '65 Impala myself...

--rick

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 66 Catalina 2+2 convertible with a stock 421, and a 65 Riviera with a factory 425 dual quad set up. Loved that Pontiac, until another buddy showed up with a 421 powered 66 Catalina wagon. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago.. I darn near cried when I learned he scrapped the wagon once he pulled the engine.. :cry:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Slot Car Itself

I finally got a few minutes to snap off a couple of photos of the 67 Galaxie. It's hard to see the color and I'm not certain what color is under all the age and dirt. It looks like it will be tan, but could be yellow of white. The accumulation of gunk, even between the body and chassis has made ID'ing this before clean up impossible. So here are the before shots. As I noted earlier, the window posts are shot, but the glass is good and the wheel wells are near perfect. The chassis is completely locked, but looks very savable. I'm not too good at the reconstruction methods seen here by Bill and the group, but I think this may be my volunteer donor car to learn from. But first it's getting a good soaking in peroxide and other cleaners and re-assessed. The other strange thing are the bumpers. They lost all chrome over the years and shrunk and twisted as they sat in the changes from hot summer to cold winter for 30+ years. Never saw that before.

-Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts