Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, In my building experience on the Round 2 decals here's what I have noticed. Once dry they are on the model for good, That's fine but applying them is tricky. On the intial application you have to get these decals into the correct position as best you can and once they are on the surface of the model they can't be moved around that much. I have tryed applying alot of water to the place where I want to put the decal and it helps a little. I applied the Big NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise to my Blue Enterprise I'm building and there is a little crease in the decal. I applied more water and even cut the crease and its still there. I think there is only so good you can do with these decals. My experience in building the Round 2 Star Trek Model reissues has helped. Am I alone or can these decals at times be troublesome to apply. Thanks, Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Guy,

Did you apply MicroSOL to the decal with the crease ? It may shrink it just enough to get the crease out if it's not too big a crease.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guy,

Did you apply MicroSOL to the decal with the crease ? It may shrink it just enough to get the crease out if it's not too big a crease.
No I didn't, the crease isn't too bad. The point is these decals are not easy to apply and set up too fast. You need to be able to shift the decal into the position you want the decal to be in. I like that they stay on the model for good but applying them is another story.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
At the risk of grossing everyone out... One thing that works for me is saliva. It's thicker than water and stays where you put it for the most part. At least it work on smaller decals if I need to shift them around before they dry.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It may just be that a bad set gets through now and again. I built the 1701-E and more then half the decals, once wet, literally seperated into dozens of pieces each. The replacement set they sent me were just fine.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
That's why I always spray decals with a few coats of Testors clear gloss lacquer before I wet them. Krylon gloss acrylic works too.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update I used the tip of my hobby knife and pricked the area of the crease on the decal. I then applied more water and even though the crease is there still its much less noticeable. Actually Round 2 says on the back of the decal sheet to do just what I did in the event that wrinkles form.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm finishing my Refit and I'm looking to order the decals from R2.
Trekkriffic said to spray clear gloss lacquer before wetting them. Could you explain this process Please. Do you coat the whole sheet before cutting them out and then apply?

Thanks
Bor

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I'm finishing my Refit and I'm looking to order the decals from R2.
Trekkriffic said to spray clear gloss lacquer before wetting them. Could you explain this process Please. Do you coat the whole sheet before cutting them out and then apply?

Thanks
Bor
Exactly. Spray the entire sheet prior to cutting them out and wetting them. I should emphasize to apply 2-3 light coats from about 2 feet away. Don't go too heavy or the ink may run; R2's shouldn't run but I've seen others that do- I think it depends on whether the decals are printed using an inkjet versus a laser printer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts