Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wow, SWEET '61 Chrysler!!!!!! Is it a New Yorker? The roof panel is white?????

I have a '56 Plymouth Savoy 4-dr. sedan, black with a 277 Polyspheric V8 and has only about 56,000 origonal miles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, SWEET '61 Chrysler!!!!!! Is it a New Yorker? The roof panel is white?????
Lummox.....I thought you would be the only one to know what it was. You are close, but off. It's a '60 De Soto. The lt grey on the roof was painted that way by the owner in the '70s to cool the car in the summer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'60 Desoto...I shoulda known!!! :eek:
Is it a 361, 383, or a 413?
All Adventurers came with a 383 (mine is an Adventurer).
The Fireflites came only with a 361.
The 413 was only available on the 300/New Yorker over at the Chrysler dealership.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I'm a little fuzzy with some Mopar stuff before '62.
I allways kinda wanted a '61 Desoto. I thought the grills on those were just extra wierd and cool. Plus it's the great marques last year and I think the production numbers were very low.

That's interesting about the white roof panel. That's cool that you leave it like that. It's a neat part of the cars history.

So Slim, as a fellow C body owner (2 '68 Furys and a '71 Imperial) I'd like to invite you to join the C Body Dry Dock. The forums are great with a bunch of knowlagable decent guys. You should check it out!
If you should join, my name over there is Sgt. Few-So-Large.
Hope to "C" you there! :wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
One more thing. I allways thought that the back window on your car was reserved for the hard tops, not a sedan like yours. Was that a DeSoto only thing???

·
Registered
915 Posts
I HAD a '59 DeSoto in white. I looked at yours and knew it was a DeSoto as soon as I saw it. Oh, the cars I had in the seventies as a kid LOL

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just noticed something, why does it sit up so high???
It doesn't sit high. For some reason the angle of the photo makes it look high.

One more thing. I always thought that the back window on your car was reserved for the hard tops, not a sedan like yours. Was that a DeSoto only thing???
The Chrysler line reserved the high back window for the 4dr hardtops on all model lines and the 4dr Sedans got the small window across the range. DeSoto went a different direction. The Fireflite 4dr Sedans and 4dr Hardtops all got the small window. The upper line Adventurer 4dr Sedan & 4dr Hardtops were all built with the large window.

I think the large window looks WAY better, but I would see how they might be have been a bit unpopular when new because they rise over the rear passenger's head. That would be a hot spot to sit!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts