Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Gerald Ford is back home now. I and thousands of others just watched 21 F-16s fly over Grand Rapids in honor of the Former President. It was an awesome sight to behold as dusk began to settle over the city. The sun was low in the sky, casting a golden glow on the aircraft as they slowly passed by, and when the last pilot stood his plane on its tail, hit the afterburner and climbed vertically out of formation, my six year old son simply said,"Aw man! That was sweet!!!" It was pretty cool witnessing something that historic with my wife and my children. I don't think I'll forget it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
A very moving, memorable experience. The last cannon shot blew a perfectly round smoke ring into the air just before the jets came over. I was lucky enough to be on the upper back dock of the downtown Post office. The planes went by directly overhead and when the last pilot stood his plane on it's tail I was looking directly up into his exhaust outlets. Went from 300 to 1500 feet in about 3 seconds flat.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SkipperC said:
... I was lucky enough to be on the upper back dock of the downtown Post office. The planes went by directly overhead and when the last pilot stood his plane on it's tail I was looking directly up into his exhaust outlets. Went from 300 to 1500 feet in about 3 seconds flat.
Chris, You had a great viewing spot! I was satnding on the hill at Richmond Park. It wasn't the best vantage point, but it was still a very good one. It was pretty cool watching the afterburner of the "missing man" aircraft. That plane was beautiful when it rolled over and the setting sun lit the top of it. After all of the F-16s flew over, two F-15s flew from North to South directly over my house. That was cool too.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Zeb, I like the title you choose, "Welcome home". He was a good man, who was far smarter then we will ever know. Sounds like a nice ending to his day. He would have liked it I'll bet.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Ron! The sight and sound of these incredible machines is almost scary. George Lucas wasn't too far off with the X-wing fighter!!!! As far as the vantage point, my mother just happens to be employed by the Postal service so I zip up there for fireworks and stuff. (No pun intended). By the way, I'll give you a call tomorrow evening if that's OK. :wave:

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
What an awesome tribute to a former President who made some hard choices. I love missing man formations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts