Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the power outage in Monday's storm, I've been without my computer due to a fried power supply. I've been busy as heck the past few days catching up with the storm aftermath (still need to replace a wall switch for a bathroom fan that won't shut off anymore!) and haven't had a chance to replace it until this morning. Been sharing Lucy's computer, but as the saying goes, there's no place like home (my 'puter!).

Never been inside a computer before, and this is probably like changing a flat for some of you guys; but I was pretty proud of not having to bring it to a shop to get reamed. :)

Excuse me now, I have a bazillion e-mails to sort through. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
No place like home. Good luck with the aftermath! I learned to unplug everything when a storm developes, including phone connections. Been hit by lightning 6 times here.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
bob8748 said:
No place like home. Good luck with the aftermath! I learned to unplug everything when a storm developes, including phone connections. Been hit by lightning 6 times here.
I woud take that as a sign to find a new place to live :p

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Surge protectors work wonders...the only reason I've had to get a new power supply was the two times that my new video card blew the old ones :drunk: :lol:

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
They make these wonderful things called Surge Suppressors... don't cost much and have saved several things we own when the lines got hit and other appliances got fried... everyone should have one on their computer, tv and cable/satellite box.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I know what you were dealing with, I lost a power supply also on my PC a couple of years ago. In my case, a SURGE PROTECTOR wouldn't have helped. It turned out that the mother board was going out and pulled too much power and fried the supply. So, after putting another supply in, the mother board went ahead and fried itself. So I had to make another trip to find a used mother board for replacement. That got more involved but I managed to get thru it ok.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I know how you feel, I had to replace my hard drive a few weeks ago. I was without my computer for 2 weeks. What a pain to get everything loaded back in, and working right.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Congrats on gettting 'home'!!!!!

thats why you need a computer like mine, Rich! I originally built it with a case, but after a couple extra hard drives, the extra DVD burner and the PCI expansion card, it quickly outgrew its case, so now it just has its own roll out drawer in the roll desk so I can roll it to the living room to play Need for Speed in surround sound on the big TV. Usual repair/upgrade times are under 5 minutes with everything right on top like that. :) I know, I have a screw loose. (and the power switch is key operated)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yea, with the wonderful spring / summer storms, I always unplug my PC to prevent such disasters. Especially when I fried the upstairs TV a couple of years back. :drunk:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Know the feeling - Upgraded mine a couple of times and yes, it's nice NOT having to take it to the shop. I use my own personal QC program. If smoke doesn't come pouring out of it, I did it right

If it does, I take it to my son (computer expert) and tell him, "I don't know, it just started acting up". Then leave, quickly. :devil:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Macs_Little_Car said:
They make these wonderful things called Surge Suppressors... don't cost much and have saved several things we own when the lines got hit and other appliances got fried... everyone should have one on their computer, tv and cable/satellite box.
I agree. That's why I have one. Ask me how much it helped.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
carnut2256 said:
I agree. That's why I have one. Ask me how much it helped.

If it failed then you should be able to collect from the company, I know all of ours have guarantees against damage... maybe a new computer is in your future!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
If it failed then you should be able to collect from the company, I know all of ours have guarantees against damage... maybe a new computer is in your future!!! :thumbsup:
I had a computer and a TV replaced by a surge protector company about 5 yrs ago, no questions asked.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Macs_Little_Car said:
$34.95 for a new power supply, and 20 mins. of my morning; she's good as new. Surge unit is in the trash.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke too soon, it seems. Starting this morning and again tonight, the 'puter has begun shutting itself off and turning itself back on. I think it's possessed ...... or I bought a POS power supply from Office Depot.

Gonna pull it out and bring it back, then buy a better model elsewhere. :rolleyes:

(I'm on Lucy's 'puter right now, again!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts