Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk about the Vega casting, you guys might get a kick out of this... They stopped making the Vega in 1977. Did you know that in 1978, they made a Monza S which was essentially a Vega hatchback with a Monza nose? Check it out...

http://h-body.org/library/hbodyscans/1978.5_Monza/GEN0011.HTM

Ya learn something new every day, that was mine for today...

--rick

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I used to have a 72 Vega GT..I loved that little car..To bad it started using more oil than gas, and it was the only car I ever had that you could watch it rust

·
Registered
300 Posts
And I thought I knew my Monzas

I used to own a Monza and paid close attention to them. I never remember seeing this "Monza S" before. That is very surprising. I wonder how many they actually made.

On another note: I would love to see a Monza Spyder done by JL. That was always an awesome decal kit.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
zzmustang - you took a picture of a 71-72 vega. I had a 74 GT - replaced the head 2x times and it still ate a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dad had a '71. They replaced the engine for him and it still burned oil like mad. I might have pushed him to keep it if it was a hatchback or even a wagon, but it was a coupe...

I'm getting really attracted to the idea of finding a Monza hatch and stuffing it with a smallblock and going ricer hunting... gotta leave it pretty stock looking with a fairly quiet exhaust... imagine Hondaboy looking for his doors saying "What the h3!! was THAT?!?"

Maybe someday when the kids are in college... :rolleyes:

--rick

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Monza related story.. Timeframe, Somewhere around 1979 or 1980 (I think..)
A friend of mine had an uncle (Uncle Jimmy) that worked in a Chevy dealer in Baltimore.
Someone had bought a new Monza Spyder and had the dealer remove the stock v8 and put a 400 small block in.
To make a long story short, the car was totaled with 18 miles on the odometer.
Uncle Jimmy bought the car for the engine for a stock car.
Boy was that car a mess...
Scott

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
True motor heads know that hi-po Monza swaps are fairly common and easy to do ...... the trouble was always getting the car to "hook", too much power to too short a wheel base.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
noddaz said:
Monza related story.. Timeframe, Somewhere around 1979 or 1980 (I think..)
A friend of mine had an uncle (Uncle Jimmy) that worked in a Chevy dealer in Baltimore.
Someone had bought a new Monza Spyder and had the dealer remove the stock v8 and put a 400 small block in.
To make a long story short, the car was totaled with 18 miles on the odometer.
Uncle Jimmy bought the car for the engine for a stock car.
Boy was that car a mess...
Scott
:(

If I understand correctly, even if it WASN'T totalled, it would have been a mess before long. I've been told stories of Monzas and Vegas with serious engines (meaning more serious horsepower than the 125 or so that the castrated stock V-8 Monzas had) twisting their frames if they didn't have subframe connectors installed along with the horsepower transfusion. After a couple weeks of beating on 'em, the doors wouldn't open and close right...

--rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts