Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my wish today and flew in an open cockpit Stearman Bi-plane at the Allegheny County Airport. The Allegheny County Airport was celebrating their 75th. Anniversary this weekend. I really wanted to fly in the P-51 Mustang that was there, but it was very expensive ($825)! My wife also got to fly in a Stearman Bi-plane too.

Here's a few pics from today. I took over 200 pics.

The Johnny Cash guy is me.

The pic from the Bi-plane is of the Golden Triangle (Pittsburgh), with PNC Park in the background (the Pittsburgh Pirates home). I took quite a few pics of downtown Pittsburgh.

I was coming home from a nearby flea, when I deceided to stop at the airport. I bought another WHITE from a vendor at the flea, which I'll post in the White Lightning forum as soon as my camera charges.

I don't know which I enjoyed better, the WHITE LIGHTNING buy, or the plane ride.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was A blast Russ. Like being on a motorcycle that flys (slow at 90 or so MPH).

·
Registered
520 Posts
That is so cool. I bet that was an incredible experience.

My grandfather was a Flying Tiger so I've been hooked on older planes since I was a kid. He flew a P-51 named "Knobby", which was what he called my grandmother (long story). The stories he used to tell....wow. There's just something about those older planes and the pilots that flew them. Took a special kind of person to do that.

Congrats on what had to be a great time.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6-b-kwik said:
way cool ray!!! anymore pics i would love to do something like this!!!

I took over 200 pics Greg. The P-51 is my DREAM WW II fighter. I wanted to fly in it so bad, but the price was $825 for the P-51. I was there Saturday and Sunday for the 75th Anniversary of the Allegheny County Airport. I went back Sunday, bacause a Corsair WW II figher was to come in. The Corsair never arrived. On Saturday there were 4 Bi-planes there. On Sunday there were only 2 Bi-planes. There was a selection of aircraft to fly in, including helicopters.

I saw that P-51 take off with a passenger in it atleast 7 times in the 3 hours that I was there (at $825 a pop). I envied those people who flew in that P-51. The low level fly-by past the runway before landing was awesome!

They Stearman Bi-planes will be back at the airport in a week or two to fly people again. There's a dance at one of the airport hangers that day too.

Grab your camera and go up in a plane. The fastest that I saw on the gauge was 90 MPH. It is so slow that you can that some decent pics of Pittsburgh.

Get Brad to go, maybe we can make all take off at the same time in three different planes.

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cy Koe said:
That is so cool. I bet that was an incredible experience.

My grandfather was a Flying Tiger so I've been hooked on older planes since I was a kid. He flew a P-51 named "Knobby", which was what he called my grandmother (long story). The stories he used to tell....wow. There's just something about those older planes and the pilots that flew them. Took a special kind of person to do that.

Congrats on what had to be a great time.
I talked to the pilot of the P-51 Mustang. He told me that the plane has a top speed of 505 MPH, which I found hard to believe. I though the P-51 Mustang had a top speed of 450-475 MPH. I have to do some research on the top speed of a P-51 Mustang. The runway fly-by before landing was awesome! The high speed bank was cool too! :hat:

It's funny, but my wife said it was OK if I flew in the P-51 Mustang. Even if it was $825 for a ride in it. I wonder if she was serious. I was tenpted, but $825!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That looks like that was a blast!!!!

I bet that Mustang would have been incredible, but $8 Franklins + is a little steep for a quick ride!!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics, you should post all 200 on your photo hosting site :D

·
Registered
487 Posts

That's pretty dang pricey for a ride in something of which there are still quite a few flying. About 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, I paid $800 for rides in 2 different aircraft in which they are the only known flying examples. The first was a B-17 G Flying Fortress and the other was a B-24 J Liberator. The rides lasted about an hour each and were 500 a piece or 800 together. I got to go into every postion {except the pilots seat} in both planes during flight {except the ball turret on the Fort}. Truly an exceptional day, especially as the weather was perfect.
Also, the Flying Tigers flew Curtiss P-40 Warhawks, not P-51's as I think someone said earlier.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
thuntboss said:
That's pretty dang pricey for a ride in something of which there are still quite a few flying. About 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, I paid $800 for rides in 2 different aircraft in which they are the only known flying examples. The first was a B-17 G Flying Fortress and the other was a B-24 J Liberator. The rides lasted about an hour each and were 500 a piece or 800 together. I got to go into every postion {except the pilots seat} in both planes during flight {except the ball turret on the Fort}. Truly an exceptional day, especially as the weather was perfect.
Also, the Flying Tigers flew Curtiss P-40 Warhawks, not P-51's as I think someone said earlier.

Sounds like a blast too Jon!!! :thumbsup: :dude:

·
Registered
520 Posts
thuntboss said:
The Tigers flew the P-40 early on when it was the AVG under Chennault (sp?). They switched over to the P-51 but this was after the AVG group had been dissolved and the US got involved.

I'm pretty sure that's right. It's been a long time. Pretty fuzzy on details without going back and reading up. But that's what my grandfather flew, the P-51.

·
Registered
520 Posts
STUTZ said:
I talked to the pilot of the P-51 Mustang. He told me that the plane has a top speed of 505 MPH, which I found hard to believe. I though the P-51 Mustang had a top speed of 450-475 MPH. I have to do some research on the top speed of a P-51 Mustang. The runway fly-by before landing was awesome! The high speed bank was cool too! :hat:

It's funny, but my wife said it was OK if I flew in the P-51 Mustang. Even if it was $825 for a ride in it. I wonder if she was serious. I was tenpted, but $825!
Wow. $825! That's amazing. But man...what a ride it would be! One of these days I might be so lucky. And to think...Tom Cruise owns one. Must be nice.

Dang. I'm amazed. And I thought the $300 they were charging at the last air show to ride in a B-25 was high. Sounds like a bargain considering what I've read on here.

Well, now you've got me wanting to go for a ride. I think this year will be the year. Better start saving now!

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thuntboss said:
That sounds like the same 2 bombers that were at the Allegheny County Airport about the same time (1 1/2 to 2 years ago). I didn't fly in either bomber, but I think the price was $200 for each plane. I'm pretty sure the flight time wasn't an hour though.

I'll see if I can find the pics that I took of the B-17 and the B-24 that were here 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I think I have the pics on an old memory card.

Do you remember the names of the bombers?

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lpgeoteacher said:
Please post some more pictures! That looks like it was a blast!
I'll try to post a few more pics tomorrow night. I don't want to get carried away with this.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the cost was $80 to fly in the Stearman Bi-plane for 20 minutes. Everyone that wants to go up in a Bi-plane has a chance that way. They didn't have any problem with anyone taking a camera or a video camera with them in the plane (I thought they would......what if you dropped a camera from 2000 feet? :confused: ).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts