Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who heard about the radio situation, I am thinking about selling my datsun and buying a Kia Spectra. Is that a good car? :confused:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The Kia has improved a lot. I think it depends upon where you live and what type of drivers/weather conditions you have.

For Western Washington, Oregon and California, I would venture to say the car would be a great little grocery getter.
I would not have a clue as tohow it would stand up in othr parts of the country.
I will say that your Datsun had a good run.
I am not sure if you would like to stick with Nissan/Datsun or go with a Kia or maybe try Saturn.
Whenever my Dad sees a KIA on the road he says "There goes another Killed in Action".
Not sure if he means it to be a joke or a slam on the make.
Just my 2 cents.
Richard

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
My kia experience is limited to a Sportage, and it was pretty decent. We bought a Saturn Ion this last year and we're very happy with it. We bought it used, less than a year old with about 9000mi on it. We got a decent deal, it was $8,000 less than new still with factory warranty. The only problems weve had were the compass in the mirror went screwy and the radio had an intermitten issue, both were covered no questions asked. Just throwing out another idea to toss around

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I spent a few days in a new Kia Optima while my Jeep was in the body shop, and I was pretty impressed with it. It was pretty tight, had plenty of power, and it wasn't a bad looking little car. It's really not the car for me, but it was a heck of a lot better than I would have guessed.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I think Kia cars today are better than they were a few years ago. I worked with a girl who owned one and she constantly had brake problems. But since Hyundai bought them the quality has improved. I checked your profile to see what your occupation is, and with all the running around, stop and go driving you must be doing, I'd take a real good look at it and do lots of research. It would be great on gas, but you don't want to have the thing in the shop all the time (not saying it would happen). I'd consider something a little more reliable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
A friend of mine at work bought a Sephia a couple of years ago. He has over 100K miles on it already and other than going through brakes often, he has had no problems with his car.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
they do hold up a lot better now compared to 3-5 years ago.I`m not to positive on the re-sale value though.I`d seriously consider a saturn or new vw though.They seem to hold their $$ a lot better.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Buy a GM. :cool:

Nice 5 speed Chevy Cobalt, or Ion from Saturn. Good mileage, better resale that a Kia. Timing chain,...NOT a belt. With side airbags, you have a 5 star front and side rating. Onstar is available, and ABS is recomended. 3 year 36K Bumper to bumper PLUS a 5 year 100K powertrain/ roadside assist. The power curve is long and flat. That manual transaxle is silly fun as well!!

Try one,...It's free!!
Can you tell I sell Chevy's for a living?!:jest:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
wlpaul said:
Buy a GM. :cool:

Nice 5 speed Chevy Cobalt, or Ion from Saturn. Good mileage, better resale that a Kia. Timing chain,...NOT a belt. With side airbags, you have a 5 star front and side rating. Onstar is available, and ABS is recomended. 3 year 36K Bumper to bumper PLUS a 5 year 100K powertrain/ roadside assist. The power curve is long and flat. That manual transaxle is silly fun as well!!

Try one,...It's free!!
Can you tell I sell Chevy's for a living?!:jest:

Whatever :rolleyes: but I agree somewhat....buy American and not just assembled in the USA :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
just remember, you get what you pay for. A kia dealership here is doing a promotion that when you buy any new Kia, you get a base Rio for free..... theres a reason why these things are so cheap.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'd go with the Kia however because of the resale value plan on driving it till it rots. The quality on the Kia/Hyundai lines is now on par with the Japanese and you can't beat the warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts