Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share my ride w/ y'all, tell me it doesn't SCREAM StupidSquirrels!
I think it fits me.

1989 Ford F-150 Lariat XLT
6 cyl/4 spd
near new tires
everything works but speedo/odometer, and horn.
Roughly 60,000 original miles! Yep, that's right, 60k original miles, though the lady couldn't be 100% sure due to the odometer being broke.
This truck runs super and drives arrow straight!

I know this woman from church and have absolute faith that she's on the up & up!

And how much did I pay you ask? Well lemme tell you.
1,200.00 USD
I replaced the battery, wiper blades, 1 headlight, and changed the oil and filter. I checked the plugs, they were clean so I left 'em alone.

Here's the story;
Her father was the original owner, 6 or 7 years after he bought it he was in an accident. He replaced the damaged parts but didn't bother painting it.
A few years later he hurt his knee and couldn't drive a stick anymore.
He bought a new truck w/ an automatic, but he kept this truck because the dealer wouldn't offer him enough in trade.
So they kept it around as a backup.
When her dad died she inherited it, literally driving it 2 or 3 times a year, though it was started regularly.
It hasn't been registered since 3/08.

My old boss at the bodyshop owes me for credit I was building up to paint the GMC until I had to sell it, so he and I are going to do the bodywork and spray it in black primer for the cost of materials.
I wanna paint some bright orange flames on it, but might not be able to right now, the 3M blue flex tape is EXPENSIVE!
I have a set of Moon Discs I'm gonna slap on there too ( I bought them 6 or 7 years ago hoping to have something cool to put them on someday).

What do you think?
Did I do allright?

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
LOL! MORE then allright....it's down right Squirrelly!!! It does look like you don't it? Going to be sweet in black primer, keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I don't think anyone here could have pictured a better ride for you. That thing screams squirrel. And I think you made out great on the deal. Rare to find one of that age with "possible" low miles like that. Can't wait to see more pics as you get it fixed up.

·
Banned
200 Posts
You done good, John. Couldn't be a more squirrel-perfect vehicle. You will put your own PIP touches on it I'm sure. It has four matching wheels (that's not right), needs to lose the back bumper and one mirror (driver's side, of course!), and should be squirrel-ready.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You done good, John. Couldn't be a more squirrel-perfect vehicle. You will put your own PIP touches on it I'm sure. It has four matching wheels (that's not right), needs to lose the back bumper and one mirror (driver's side, of course!), and should be squirrel-ready.
It may be a bit to clean for me at that :lol:

I'll try to get better pics of the hood and top today, they're beautifully rusted.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Congrats Johnny-man!!!

How about red oxide primer and just tape over the rust so you have rust flames?
The primer will get lighter with age and the rust will only get darker for a nice subtle allmost ghost flame effect.
Or whatever you do, you can just paint over the rust without sanding it so that beauty-full rust will soon make it's way back through.

Possible 60.000 mi. and only $1200...you're further ahead of the game than most people...keep us posted!!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
200 Posts
The primer will get lighter with age and the rust will only get darker for a nice subtle allmost ghost flame effect.
Or whatever you do, you can just paint over the rust without sanding it so that beauty-full rust will soon make it's way back through.

Possible 60.000 mi. and only $1200...you're further ahead of the game than most people...keep us posted!!! :thumbsup:
You guys are two of a kind, I swear. I'd love to be there if the two of you ever meet face to face.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That's a pretty cool idea, but alas I believe I'm gonna go w/ a skull and crossed lightning bolts on the hood, ala 'Death Proof'

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, here's pics of the top and hood;
It's coool ain't it?

And the lovely Mrs. Squirrel;

She's also coool! Actually, in this pic she's cold.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
That hood looks perfect!
Did the truck use ta be blue origonally? Looks like blue showing up under a flaking repaint.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Awsome deal John.

Thats a riot, taking the picks in front of the auto parts store.

Good luck on the future flame job.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The truck's at my buddy's shop blown apart. Removed lights, grill, mirrors, tailgate panel etc..
It'll be wearing flat black by the weekend if all goes according to plan.
Ought to go ahead and lay the flames at the same time, but I don't know about spending the $$ for the material right now, that 3M blue flex tape is spendy.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Isnt there a less expensive tape you can use .. 3m makes a green colored flex tape too , but I dont know the cost . There is also regular small size tape too ..

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isnt there a less expensive tape you can use .. 3m makes a green colored flex tape too , but I dont know the cost . There is also regular small size tape too ..
The blue worked the best of the ones I tried, about $8 a roll for 1/8"x30' (I think it's 30'), I estimate at least 10 rolls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts