Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
That's tough.
When I was a young I got a wicked coolTyco race w/ 1 black/1 blue Trans Ams.
I still have the cars somewhere.
If 16 counts as a 'kid' though, I'll go with a '72 Chevy Vega.
By the time I got that car running, I had it and 4 others in my backyard, along with parts from 3 others.
I called it 'Pieces of Eight' (do the math).
I drove that car ONCE, it over heated and cracked the head.
I threw my hands up and sold the whole lot to a neighbour who promptly gutted the 72 and turned it into a 327 powered street/strip car.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Hmm maybe the tech 9 or the flame thrower?

Probably the regular nintendo we got. I remember watching my sisters boyfriend beating mario world 1 that night. We liked duck hunt.

Lol! I remember when my parents bought a vcr for us all from a store called "the present company" they had a credit card but the girl ran it wrong and they never got charged! It was $200! My mom said it was a "cat house" a gift for the cats... Yeah cat house... I know what that is!

Ah what fun times looking back at all the stuff. It was fun getting cheap stuff that lasted longer then three hrs like stuff nowadays!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Wow! That's a tough question, but I'll go with the gift that got the most use: the Schwinn Typhoon I got for Christmas, 1965. My first bike, with regular seat and full, painted fenders, and training wheels. I cruised all over with that bike, then tragedy struck. Some punk took a bat to it, and smashed the fenders all to hell. After I cried myself to sleep, my older brother went out and stripped the bike and changed everything. When I woke up it had apehanger handlebars, banana seat, and chrome 1/4 fenders. It was an amazing, super lightweight Sting-Ray. I didn't give up that bike until I was out of highschool.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Wow! That's a tough question, but I'll go with the gift that got the most use: the Schwinn Typhoon I got for Christmas, 1965.

I got a Typhoon in the late 60's. Full fender and saddle bag baskets and (the big deal) two speed rear hub. I was bummed that I didn't have a 10-speed like the cool kids but glad I didn't have only a single speed like the real dweebs. :p

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I got a Typhoon in the late 60's. Full fender and saddle bag baskets and (the big deal) two speed rear hub. I was bummed that I didn't have a 10-speed like the cool kids but glad I didn't have only a single speed like the real dweebs. :p
Mine didn't have a two-speed hub. Was yours the 20" bike or the bigger one?
Just last weekend I was saying that I had rebuilt one of those two-speed hubs for a friend of mine, and nobody knew what I was talking about. They had never heard of such a thing.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I'm not sure I can name just one, I would be torn between the Tonka Jeep/Tow Truck I got when I was about 6 (someplace I have a picture of me opening it), and I still have the truck, or all the HWs that were in the stockings.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
It's a toss up for me, and I think these were from back-to-back Christmases, in the mid-sixties of course, when all the cool toys came out.
1. Motorific Giant Detroit set. Man did I play with that set a lot!!!
2. Nylint Michican crane - I prayed so hard for that one - it was a dream come true when Santa brought it!!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I got one of my first hot wheels, which was a yellow Ferrari testerossa ( Which I have lost during childhood vacations, but someone is sending me on [ thanks ]).

Oh yeah.

And high quality coal that kept our stove running.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
That's a hard one. Being this is a car sight, I could choose all the old AFX slot car racing sets that usually filled a pretty big spot under the tree. But probably the one thing that always comes to mind when I hear this question, is a Lost in Space, battery operated robot. I wanted that robot soooo bad...and when Santa brought me and my brother both one, we flipped. That was a pretty memorable Christmas. We also both got Mego Batman and Robin 8 inch action figures...remember those? My brother stuck Robin in the grip of the robot, turn it on, and watched the robot glid across the floor, smash into the leg of the dining room table, and snap one of Robin's legs off at the knee. OOOPS! But even though his toy got broken right on Christmas day, only hours after he opened it, we both started cracking up over it. My brother made Robin hobble over to Batman and say " Batman, Batman, I have a depressed leg!"

I suppose having your leg chopped off at the knee would depress it quite a bit :freak:

·
Registered
999 Posts
my favorite gift was the LP of the theme from the Man from U.N.C.L.E. an the spy gun they they used.

ranger
I got one of those guns for Christmas - must have been mid-60's. It was a pistol, with a set of attachments (stock, scope barrel, bi-pod) to make it into whatever cool imaginary spy gun I wanted. I remember that year I also got a big carton of bubble gum, so the Man From U.N.C.L.E. gun came in handy defending my hoard from the evil THRUSH (my brothers and sisters.

Thanks for the memories!

Mike

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
it is a toss up for me between the first Nintendo system or the TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking slot track. i definitely spent more hours on the nintendo through the years but that US-1 Trucking set was the shiz back in the day. i picked up two brand new track sets and every accessory they made for it off ebay a few years back for my kids to enjoy when they get a little bit older. i'd love to let them have it now but they are still at that age where it would end up broken and missing parts in no time.:eek:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My Planet of the Apes treehouse! I had the figures but knew the treehouse was out of price range for my mom to get me so didn't even ask. Little did I know mom had told grandma and that year for some reason grandma did not give me underware as she always had but got me that POTA treehouse!

Second best would be the Raggedy Ann doll from my Aunt, surprised don't be, reason it was my favorite was I returned it to sears and got a Matchbox garage instead!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
it is a toss up for me between the first Nintendo system or the TYCO US-1 Electric Trucking slot track. i definitely spent more hours on the nintendo through the years but that US-1 Trucking set was the shiz back in the day. i picked up two brand new track sets and every accessory they made for it off ebay a few years back for my kids to enjoy when they get a little bit older. i'd love to let them have it now but they are still at that age where it would end up broken and missing parts in no time.:eek:
I don't know how old your boys are, but my oldest was running the slotcars when he was 3, the younger started at 2. I just put the track up every Christmas Eve, and I leave it up for about a week. Just grab a couple of newer cars, that won't break your heart if they break, and turn 'em loose. My boys love it, they're begging me to set up early this year. Looks like we've got a blizzard today, so they just might get their wish.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm probably older than most of you so you may have to check with your older brothers, but for many a Christmas I received litho Gas Stations. Most came with roof parking, a show room and garages with lifts. Lots of play value and lots of plastic cars so my three sisters could play too when they got tired of their dolls. I would also get many pre-Lego contruction sets. Kenner etc. Too bad they don't make these any more.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
:)my best gift was when I was 12. It was called "The Dareplane Stunter" :thumbsup: it was this bi-plane on a flrxable cable about 3ft. long hooked to a central pylon with the controler (that was far enought away so you would not get hit by the plane) it would control the flaps and speed so the plane could do dives, loop-to-loops, stalls etc. I loved that thing. I remember taking it down to the basement so I could have more room to play with it and my parents forgot I was down there until I woke them up playing with it in the wee hours of the next morning;)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
:)my best gift was when I was 12. It was called "The Dareplane Stunter" :thumbsup: it was this bi-plane on a flrxable cable about 3ft. long hooked to a central pylon with the controler (that was far enought away so you would not get hit by the plane) it would control the flaps and speed so the plane could do dives, loop-to-loops, stalls etc. I loved that thing. I remember taking it down to the basement so I could have more room to play with it and my parents forgot I was down there until I woke them up playing with it in the wee hours of the next morning;)
I got something similar one year, but it look more like some sort of spy plane...black or purple colored. I think it was called "Night Flight."

1 - 20 of 40 Posts