Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This nasty storm knocked out power all over Rhode Island, but in my area, only our street lost power. The electric company said since we're a "small" outage, we're low on their priorities (I'll remember that when the bill is due next!). We have a generator which I always start up from time to time, but apparently if you don't draw power from it occassionally, the generator head "de-magnetizes" and you have to zap it with a 12V car battery. That's what I had to do.

Finally got our power up with the generator a while ago, and stopped in for a minute to see if everyone else is OK? No basement flooding *knocks on wood* but several houses on the street do, and no power for their sump pumps.

Glad to see Joe got the Bud Box, and the mail man just brought my package from MLC so I can't wait to open that bad boy.

Have to go replace the battery terminal that snapped when I was putting the car battery back in, may not be in till late tonight, so hope everyone is well.

Stay safe, stay dry. Stay home :tongue:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I have a dead tree in my back yard and as the wind was howling furiously last night I was hoping and praying it wouldn't snap. My yard has a lot of branches on it and there were a couple of small ones on my deck, but that sucker is still standing. :)
Our lights flickered a little but we never lost power. :thumbsup: The lower part of my back yard is under water; our basement is dry as a bone. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
as funny as luck would have it, i tore a muscle in my leg saturday evening and am off from work for the next few days so i didn't have to go through the grief of traveling in this crap this morning. many roads and major highways are closed due to the snow/ice and some are closed due to fallen trees and power lines. my mom lost power where she lives and she said there have been explosions since the early hours in the morning on the pole line that runs behind her house. power only flickered a few times here early this morning but i have not lost power thus far. i have lost cable multiple times but it seems to be ok now. all i can say is that i look forward to the weekend when it is supposed to get nice. it seems like everytime we get a nice day or two, it is followed by a big winter storm.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
didn't get much rain here... but i tell ya what, that wind has just been howling all day long!

Everytime i open my warehouse doors here i think its going to blow the roof off of the building!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That dumb storm caused the airlines to cancel my flight to Arizona for a week of R an R. I was able to change my plans, and instead I'll be leaving for Orlando on Tuesday. So far, the new flight has not been canceled.
The wind was very ferocious last night!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
i was just out on some errands and i can't get over the destruction this storm has caused. i've seen 8 vehicles with large trees that fell of them, 5 telephone poles down and at least 10 trees that fell and took down wires, about 20 that are down and resting against the wires and lost count how many trees that came down and covered the roadways and sides of the roadways. some trees were roughly 3 feet wide and were still uprooted or split. i've been through what seemed to be much worse storms in my time and seen much less damage. it is just crazy.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My section of Bucks county PA saw lots of rain, some flooding and plenty of wind but I didn't see too much damage. The folks along the Delaware river have to be holding their breath again as the river will crest sometime Wednesday. I live about 3 miles from the river high and dry.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
We lost the internet for most of the day, but retained our power.
That's the least of my worries. The storm blew a huge chunk out of my roof. Spent the better part of the day covering it with tarps. I'll call the insurance company tomorrow, but I know there's a $2,500.00 deductible on the policy. Looks like I won't be spending too much on diecast for awhile!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, Steve, sorry to hear about the sunroof :drunk: Rob, good luck with that roof. Couldn't have been easy for you getting up there and covering the damage. :thumbsup:

We just got our power back at 9:30 tonight, after spending the day wrestling with a finicky generator. Had to keep taking the battery out of my car to "flash' the generator every time I shut it down, wound up braking a terminal clamp on the car (needed to keep running out for stupid things). Just an all around pain-in-the-butt day, but no damage to the house and no water downstairs.

When the power came on, I found out I fried the power supply on my 'puter (typing this on Lucy's), so I'll swap that out tomorrow. I was hoping to spend the past two nights putting stuff together for that swap meet on Sunday. no good.

Opened the package from MLC, no whites :( (well, the exclusive Ford GT was pretty, anyway).

Just a crappy, crappy day for many of us here I suppose. With the news out of Virginia Tech, it puts all this in perspective though. :cry:

·
Registered
269 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Wow, Steve, sorry to hear about the sunroof :drunk: Rob, good luck with that roof. Couldn't have been easy for you getting up there and covering the damage. :thumbsup:

We just got our power back at 9:30 tonight, after spending the day wrestling with a finicky generator. Had to keep taking the battery out of my car to "flash' the generator every time I shut it down, wound up braking a terminal clamp on the car (needed to keep running out for stupid things). Just an all around pain-in-the-butt day, but no damage to the house and no water downstairs.

When the power came on, I found out I fried the power supply on my 'puter (typing this on Lucy's), so I'll swap that out tomorrow. I was hoping to spend the past two nights putting stuff together for that swap meet on Sunday. no good.

Opened the package from MLC, no whites :( (well, the exclusive Ford GT was pretty, anyway).

Just a crappy, crappy day for many of us here I suppose. With the news out of Virginia Tech, it puts all this in perspective though. :cry:
You're right Rich, I only have to shell out a small deductable and my insurance will cover the rest and roof will be fixed, unfortunately, money can't bring those kid's lives back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts