Hobbyist Forums banner

O/T: Southernmost Air Spectacular!... (pic heavy)

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Full Flaps! 
#1 ·
So March 23-34th, we had the Southernmost Air Spectacular at the Naval Air Station on Boca Chica. I had never been before, so I was quite excited to attend. I didn't get to spend more than a couple hours both days, as they were also work days for me. But I brought my camera with me and tried to shoot a good cross section of what there was to see. Planes, choppers, vintage vehicles, a flock of Blue Angels, etc...
I hope you all enjoy the pictures more than I enjoyed the sunburn, Ha!

- Full Flaps!

This WWII-era F4U Corsair was running through her paces when I arrived.
Didn't see too much of her, but she sounded in top form.

Pilot Jack Knutson, in his red Extra 300S...
Taxiing with pilot Rob Holland in his MXS. Performing together as "Xtreme Firebirds Airshows".

See less See more
#5 ·
"Wait, what the heck was that big metal thingamabob?" you say...
Well, I thought you'd never ask! It's an...

Now you can impress friends and influence people with your intimate knowledge of the MAFTD at your next dinner party or ice cream social!...

Here we have the Grumman Gulfstream 1 aircraft of "Aero Marti".
Technically, it could be considered a US propaganda plane, as it's mission is to broadcast TV/radio news and programming to Cuba in spite of efforts by the Cuban government to jam incoming signals. Read more about Radio Marti TV on the Wiki page...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_y_Televisión_Martí

Northrop F-5N Tiger of the VFC-111 "Sundowners".
This is a Composite Fighter Squadron who's purpose is to play an adversary role - or play the "bad guy" to visiting jets during exercises in Florida. Read more about the Sundowner squadron here -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFC-111

#8 ·
Looks like it was a GREAT show! This time of year I start looking forward to the start of car show season, but AIR show season is right around the corner too. You know me, I love the old planes almost as much as the old cars, and would generally rather go to a good air show with good aerobatics than a good car show with the cars just sitting there.

Sunburn, huh? It's in the low 40's here. :(

#10 ·
Looks like it was a great show, Flaps. WOW! I didn't realize that wingwalkers were still around. Yikes - whatta woman! You'd never get me to do that - I get noodgy on an extension ladder. Some really nice, sharp photos especially the first jeep and the deuce-and-a-half. The girl-watchin' wasn't too shabby, either. Looks as thought it was a perfect day for the show. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing it...

:wave:

#16 ·
There's an excitement that a military exhibition team brings to an air show that the professional civilian teams just can't match. My wife and I went to the Atlantic City Air Show a few years ago when they had BOTH the Blue Angels and the Air Force Thunderbirds. What we DIDN'T expect to see was both teams performing passes together! Not many coordinated twists, turns, and loops since they had their own seperate routines, but they did some close passes from opposite directions with full burners. That's a closing rate of about 1,200 mph, folks! The Thunderbirds' support transport did it's own display much like the Angels' "Fat Albert". The Army parachute team also put in an appearance, and the Coast Guard even did a demonstration emergency water rescue.

#21 ·
Flaps, those photos are flippin' awesome - your artistic eye has captured some super shots. Nice work.:thumbsup: The color of the sky that day was a perfect background for the shots, too. What kind of camera were you using?

Thanks for sharing those photos...:thumbsup:

:wave:

#22 ·
Thanks all!
Jim, maybe it's the jets along with the pageantry and regimentation associated with them that make the military exhibition teams hard to beat... That Atlantic City Air Show with the Angels, Thunderbirds and Golden Knights parachute team making an appearance sounds nuts.

Lummox, you must have missed "Ms. Girl Watchin'' on the last page, there are plenty of 'zeppelins' at air shows, but ya gotta keep your camera ready! ;)

Mr.B, thank you. I used a Nikon Coolpix L110 that I bought barely used on eBay for less than $100. It has it's limitations, but the resolution and zoom are good, so you can finesse some pretty nice shots with it if you're careful. Especially with post editing. :thumbsup:

#25 · (Edited)
"FLAPS!!!" Outstanding "Blue Angel" shots.

The static wing tip shot was spot on til the guy in the white hat popped up. :mad: Get out the Photoshop and he'd be gone. Then I'd decide on the activity at the tails. You know...Asthetically speaking. ;) The fly-bys are really good. Really good eye. :thumbsup:

These are recent photos?

The F4U "JT 416" gave me a flash me back. Been awhile though since been to an airshow.

#26 ·
Thanks Hooter! Yes, these pics are very recent, March 23-24.
I hadn't been to an air show myself in a good ten years or so. When you step out onto the field, there is such an energy of excitement, makes you feel like a kid at the carnival. Planes flying overhead, planes on the ground, and if you're lucky some vehicles too. Oh boy, what to see first! :p :hat:

Yes, gotta beware of those doofs in the white hats! :thumbsup:

#27 ·
UPDATE: Yesterday, April 9, 2013, the Navy announced that The Blue Angels are grounded for the rest of the year due to ill-conceived cutbacks in defense spending. The Angels are a powerful recruiting tool for the Navy. I wouldn't doubt that the Air Force will soon follow suit with the Thunderbirds.

Way to go, Washington - Pump up those entitlements for the lazy ones who don't want to work and/or keep pumping out babies to increase their Welfare checks, but eliminate funding for National Defense.

#28 ·
UPDATE: Yesterday, April 9, 2013, the Navy announced that The Blue Angels are grounded for the rest of the year due to ill-conceived cutbacks in defense spending. The Angels are a powerful recruiting tool for the Navy. I wouldn't doubt that the Air Force will soon follow suit with the Thunderbirds.
Yes, I heard it might be one of their last shows.
But from my understanding, there has been talk of mothballing the military exhibition teams for years. So I don't think they are disbanded entirely, or gone for good. Just sidelined until the powers that be can get their heads a little further out of their backsides than they are right now and they loosen the purse strings again. I've read the figure of $36 million as the cost per year to operate the Blue Angels. For government spending, that's a pittance. Especially for the value they bring wherever they go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.