Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a 1988 Mercury Cougar. It's a work in progress, resatoration and modification. It's in very good condition for a car 21 yrs old but it's not a show car by any means. (yet) But, the body is in excellent condition, no rust no major dings, no serious damage. I'm trying to keep it that way.

So, when I go to Kroger's (grocery store) I park in the farthest corner of the lot, away from everybody. Slim risk of carts rolling into it. No one is going to park too close and open a door into it... You get the picture.

So why is it for the past couple months, I go to the store, park in the middle of nowhere, grab half a dozen items inside, checkout and return to my car...

And find five cars parked all around it?!!! One on either side, and three in front. WTF??? Not another car for 200', empty parking places within spitball distance of the door, but I have 5 cars boxing me?

I'm dyin' to know what this is all about. 'Cause it's not just a one time thing. It's three times a week! What gives?

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's a paradox. The harder you try to keep from getting door dings, the more you get. I have a Taurus with the body contours on the side. It's a ding magnet! I'd like to beat the crap out of people who don't watch their doors!

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Just park it sideways in the middle of three spaces, at the end of a row so you can just drive away. No problems. :thumbsup:

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
NOPE, it's just the power of thought.
It's the same kind of power that makes everyone in the store come over
and look in the same section you are shopping in.
It seems to happen in different ways. Examples....

You have a garage sale..... no one will stop.
One car stops, every car after that will stop to see what deal they might be missing out on.

You grab a lunch at the local fast food.
You sit in a area where no one else is sitting, but you won't be alone for long.

You watch that item on the bay. Unsure whether or not you want it,
you watch it end with no bids. Relisted, you decide you want it after all,
but you have to compete with 2 other bidders to get it.

All this stuff is common to me, but I have never seen so much power as when I am driving.

Pulling up to a light, I see 5 cars stacked up in the center lane, with both side lanes clear.
I make the mistake of changing lanes too early. This sets off some subliminal alarm in one of the 5 cars. The driver (probably on the phone) on reflex, pulls into the lane I am pulling into.

This also happens at highway speeds.
Like changing lanes to get around a line of cars going 60 in a 65.
Why do they always wait to change lanes when I do? Are they scared to think?
Or is this the same "Oh, I CAN go around" reflex that gets triggered in their brain when I make a decision?

Some powerful stuff.

·
Registered
864 Posts
it's the same thing when you go to beach. You installed your things on morning, no one is here. 1 or 2 hours later, people is coming...and install theirselves just near you ! Even if the entire beach is empty !

An universal law, I guess ^^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Human Nature. We are bombarded by it daily. Advertisement especially. Just look how many people added a reply after the first?

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
AKA..... Herd mentality......If it is good enough for you, it is then good enough for them.
I'm a proponent of culling the herd from time to time....nuthin a good mass extinction wouldnt fix.

Lets give the cockroaches a chance...given the current state of the planet and parking problems in general...how bad could they screw it up? ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm a proponent of culling the herd from time to time....nuthin a good mass extinction wouldnt fix.

Lets give the cockroaches a chance...given the current state of the planet and parking problems in general...how bad could they screw it up? ;)
I think Bill needs a tv show.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yes indeed, human nature at its finest. I think there's more to it than herd mentality with the parking lot situation. By you parking in the outlying parts of an otherwise crowded parking lot you are broadcasting the fact that you don't want to have your doors beaten in by some inconsiderate person whose exit strategy from their car involves testing the full extent of the limits on their door swing. This is a trait oft seen in 1) totally oblivious old people (TOOP), 2) people who really, really need every inch of clearance to extract their full figured girth from their tortured motor vehicle - the open the barn door and let the cows out exit strategy, and 3) the uncontrolled pack of suburban offspring that have been bouncing around in the back of the family wagon all jacked up on high fructose behavior altering substances, they just want out, now! - the release the hounds strategy. Good news is that almost all of these groups share one other thing in common, they want a close-up, near the door, willing to wait 10 minutes for a close parking spot mentality.

So... while you may be put off by the suddenly popularity of your remote parking spot, in most cases the people who are suddenly sharing your "personal space" are probably like minded. You need to recognize that walking an extra 20 or 30 yards in this day and age is paramount to a grand accomplishment (can we call them heros? Maybe!), so there is a level of commitment that these like minded individuals are sharing with you.

On the other hand, people who take up more than one parking space in a crowded parking lot, nowhere near the unpopulated periphery of the lot, deserve to have their car crushed and reshaped into a little cube that will fit cleanly inside a single spot. That's the other common human trait, spite.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Yes indeed, human nature at its finest. I think there's more to it than herd mentality with the parking lot situation. By you parking in the outlying parts of an otherwise crowded parking lot you are broadcasting the fact that you don't want to have your doors beaten in by some inconsiderate person whose exit strategy from their car involves testing the full extent of the limits on their door swing. This is a trait oft seen in 1) totally oblivious old people (TOOP), 2) people who really, really need every inch of clearance to extract their full figured girth from their tortured motor vehicle - the open the barn door and let the cows out exit strategy, and 3) the uncontrolled pack of suburban offspring that have been bouncing around in the back of the family wagon all jacked up on high fructose behavior altering substances, they just want out, now! - the release the hounds strategy. Good news is that almost all of these groups share one other thing in common, they want a close-up, near the door, willing to wait 10 minutes for a close parking spot mentality.

So... while you may be put off by the suddenly popularity of your remote parking spot, in most cases the people who are suddenly sharing your "personal space" are probably like minded. You need to recognize that walking an extra 20 or 30 yards in this day and age is paramount to a grand accomplishment (can we call them heros? Maybe!), so there is a level of commitment that these like minded individuals are sharing with you.

On the other hand, people who take up more than one parking space in a crowded parking lot, nowhere near the unpopulated periphery of the lot, deserve to have their car crushed and reshaped into a little cube that will fit cleanly inside a single spot. That's the other common human trait, spite.
Thats some funny sheep right there!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
(snip...)

This is a trait oft seen in 1) totally oblivious old people (TOOP), 2) people who really, really need every inch of clearance to extract their full figured girth from their tortured motor vehicle - the open the barn door and let the cows out exit strategy, and 3) the uncontrolled pack of suburban offspring that have been bouncing around in the back of the family wagon all jacked up on high fructose behavior altering substances, they just want out, now! - the release the hounds strategy. Good news is that almost all of these groups share one other thing in common, they want a close-up, near the door, willing to wait 10 minutes for a close parking spot mentality.
(snip...)
ROFL. perfect. :D

--rick

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Hmmm... Being the slothead that you are, I'm beginning to wonder if you just might have neo magnets on your car.... The other cars can't help to be attracted to yours!! :lol::tongue::jest:

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Some people SUCK...

One time Ginger stopped at Target to run in and get something. I sat in the car and had a smoke while she was gone.

OMG that was the scariest time of my life. This car over filled with 6 teenage girls pulled up across from our car and watching them all get out was crazy. I saw door dings beeing made from both sides. I waited and sure as heck one couple came back out of the store and didn't notice anything wrong with thier door...it had to have had a pretty nasty NEW dent. Well I didn't like the looks of them ( Eeeeeew) and didn't bother to tell them what had happened. Plus their car was a POS so, it realy didn't matter anyways. :rolleyes:

Bob...yeah sometimes people just SUCK...zilla

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I park far away for car safety & the extra distance figures to be good excercise. Many times I have found cars parked around me although other spots were available much closer. Many years ago, I had ordered a beautiful
new 1979 Bonneville. Within the 1st few weeks, we went w/another couple
to a movie. I parked on the farthest row under a light pole. When we came out of the theatre, there were police & crowds at the site. I ran to the car to find a new Vette had parked next to me. My car was OK, but the Vette had both side windows smashed, T-Tops stolen & trashed dash. More recently, I parked far for a quick errand to a deli. As I am walking to the store, I hear someone yelling repeatedly: " Stop, you're going to hit". I turn to find the man attempting to alert an old man backing out & heading directly for my car. He backed out from the front spot of the previous row, traveling
about 60ft. into my car. I approached him to see if possibly a medical emergency was the cause. His reply was,"Relax, I hit something every time I
back up". Sometimes there is no way to win.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts